Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Maps of Lordswood Southampton
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

With the help of Google maps and some spare time I have created a basic map of the trails in Lordswood.

It was done from memory and free hand using MS Paint so don’t mock the quality.

I have posted up the basic photo, the photo with the fire roads marked, the photo with fire roads and bike trails and the photo with fire roads and bike trails in black and white which it easier to print.

BE WARNED : The actual size of the picture prints out over 21 sheets of A4 so you may want to resize before printing. This does mean that you can zoom in to the details though.

Please let me know what you think :

All four pictures here : https://picasaweb.google.com/115660383436295169415/LordswoodMap#

FieldMarshall

You’ve got way toooooooooooo much time on your hands!!

Map looks fantastic but link didnt work for me. Maybe the work firewall blocking it.

Another great ride last night. Thanks for guiding and the cider. 😛

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hmm… Looks like I need to change the permissions some how.

Bear with me

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Please can someone try this link and let me know if they can see the pictures and also download them

https://picasaweb.google.com/115660383436295169415/LordswoodMap

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

downloading works fine. 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Now start reminding me of the trails I have missed or haven’t named.

There is a big blank area in the west of the woods that I can’t remember in enough detail to draw. The trail goes up from the river crossing to the moped figure of 8 and then there are trails down to the missing bridge but I think I need a ride there to remind me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Very usefull, thanks. I’ve ridden everything on there, but this should help in being able to piece together a bit more of a route.

Does anyone know where the dirt jumps & pump track is? Been having a nosey around but can’t seem to locate them. I thought they were over by the workmans run on the roller double/step up line in the (very) old bombhole where the reasonable sized stepdowns used to be, but that’s like a graveyard for old trails now.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Eutopia Jumps is marked on the map up near the motorway.

There is also a jump line running parallel with the draggy climb up towards the Workmans that is also marked.

The main jump site(wonderland) got completely levelled last year and hasn’t been rebuilt.

You probably have to download the full size image to read the labels.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ah, I know those to jump sites, but I am aware this is another set of ‘proper’ dirt jumps with a reasonable sized pump track hidden away somewhere, just trying to find it!

40mpg

Thats messing with my head. I know all those trails, and how they interlink, but most of them are placed nowhere near where I thought they would appear on a map!

Whats happened to Lorthorne? It was a short complete loop by Log Bridge. And I thought Border Line was called No Dabs?

Good work there though WCA

thomthumb
    Free Member

lordthorne= lord screw i think.

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, fond memories.

Good work WCA.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

borderline = no nabs

It became easier to ride as it widened a bit.

Lord Thorne = Lord Screw

Correct. I thought it was called Lord Screw in tribute to the CorkScrew

The accuracy of the trails is entirely dependent on my memory. I think most of the entries and exits are right so you can string the trails together.

jimmers
    Free Member

A few more trail name translations for you

Redundancy trail = Lord Thorne II
    Down Hill I = Matt T’s Signature Trail
    Bike Graveyard = Hanging Bike Trail
    Narrow Bridge = Foreplay
    Rock Garden = Motorway Embankment

juan
    Free Member

what he says :'( i miss lordswood :'( :'(

thomthumb
    Free Member

fumble in the dark?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Can you do one with the streams on?

jimmers
    Free Member

Thom: good call, I recall renaming Foreplay as Fumble in the Dark! Cheers.

40mpg

Can you do one with the burnt out cars, mopeds and crack dens on? 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Redundancy Trail was the one I built when I was made redundant

I will try and add the streams. Burnt out cars and mopeds have largely been removed now. Crack den locations is a subscription only service 😉

juan
    Free Member

How much for a guided tour of lordswood for two people 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

10:30 tomorrow morning Juan. I can even lend you an old Kona Hoss I have lying about

FieldMarshall

What the Hoss with the dodgy forks 😉

So what did we ride last night WCA?

Forgot to switch on the GPS on my phone.

What are people viewing the downloaded maps with?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Down loaded maps were create using the famous mapping tool – MS Paint

I just zoom to 200% or 400% to find the details.

I can’t remember the whole route yesterday but we started at Coxford Rd entrance, straight ahead and then right to the Rock garden, along the edge to the small steps, across to burnt logs, down Nicks diagonal (not labelled) and on to the bike graveyard, climb past the Mopeds crossroads and up to the motorway before turning in towards the roller coaster but turning right to the unnamed bit with a couple of drops that someone has been polishing this weekend (anyone got a name for this bit?), draggy climb up to the workmans and down to the workmans botton (ooo-err). right and south a bit and then the run leading to the log bridge ( I built the new bridge, does anyone want to make it safe?), across the Missing Link and then to the river crossing, along side the stream, across and double back and then up towards moped corner.

If you are still reading this and can follow it then you have more stamina than me. come during the day light some time and I will show you.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Down loaded maps were create using the famous mapping tool – MS Paint

I just zoom to 200% or 400% to find the details.

I can’t remember the whole route yesterday but we started at Coxford Rd entrance, straight ahead and then right to the Rock garden, along the edge to the small steps, across to burnt logs, down Nicks diagonal (not labelled) and on to the bike graveyard, climb past the Mopeds crossroads and up to the motorway before turning in towards the roller coaster but turning right to the unnamed bit with a couple of drops that someone has been polishing this weekend (anyone got a name for this bit?), draggy climb up to the workmans and down to the workmans botton (ooo-err). right and south a bit and then the run leading to the log bridge ( I built the new bridge, does anyone want to make it safe?), across the Missing Link and then to the river crossing, along side the stream, across and double back and then up towards moped corner.

If you are still reading this and can follow it then you have more stamina than me. come during the day light some time and I will show you.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Is lordswood worth the trip, im only down the road in Salisbury?

Dave.

dobo
    Free Member

Probably best to get a tour of wca or someone, otherwise you maybe left scratching your head looking for trails

boxxer7
    Free Member

In that case anyone fancy showing me around? 😛

Dave.

FieldMarshall

Boxxer7

Well I work North of Salisbury and live south of Salisbury and have only done two nite rights so far, but definitely think its worth the effort.

Some great trails for such a small area.

WCA

Thanks for the route info. That all makes sense. IIRC we did Gully Run after moped crossroads and then finished with Golf Course run. Great ride.

boxxer7
    Free Member

FieldMarshall, will make sure i get over and check it out. Might nip over Sunday if weathers not bad.

Dave.

juan
    Free Member

The fork are not dodgy they just need air inside.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I miss Lordswood too. Many happy days on the trails there!

DT78
    Free Member

You,re posting our secrets! More to the west but nothing inspiring mostly where the stolen mopeds are thrashed around. Now I would be interested in a bigger map covering hut woods or even a mainly singlwtrack route to farley mount. Been thinking about that for a while.

DT78
    Free Member

Thinking about – wca do you know anything about the field near the motorway runs which looks like it has a number of big motorcross jumps?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Will be heading up late Sunday morning for a blast with some mates, before it turns into a bit of a bog.

FieldMarshall

Boxxer 7

WCA is playing pied piper again this Sat ( instead of Sun)

If you fancy tagging along.

See other Lordswood thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/slow-ride-around-lordswood-southampton-thursday-evening-possibly-sunday-too

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Probably Sunday too at about 11 ish

boxxer7
    Free Member

Cant get out Saturday but may join Sunday if you do venture out.

Dave.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If I don’t break today then I will be out again tomorrow at about 11.

The field with the motorcross jumps in the field belong to the farm on Chilworth Drove. Haven’t seen them used much in the last couple of years so probably the son has grown up and left.

DT78 – If you want to do Hut Wood and Farley mount then it isn’t difficult. Screen shots from Google Maps pasted into MS Paint. Stitched together then mark the trails with a pen. The trick is memorising all of the trails and junctions.

lucien

Great map and largely accurate I think from the rides I’ve done at LW.

FWIW – the trail that runs down the side of the motorway I’ve always referred to as “Star Wars” as it’s like going through the trees on whichever star wars film it was and the one that follows the river along to the Bridleway I’ve always referred to as “no dabs” largely as it’s so tight, slow and rooty that the get to the end (without dabbing) is a minor miracle.

Most of the trails at the moment need a little (or big) bit of work on – the northshore bridge over the really wet bit has gone completely and the “Gully Run” needs a something in the middle as it’s very deep, wet and soft so that your wheels get sucked in like quicksand.

On the opposite side (of the fireroad) to the Gully Run is the bombhole and I reckon there is the makings of a trail if you carry sraight on, that could be very jumptastic 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Maps of Lordswood Southampton’ is closed to new replies.