• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Magura Thor Fork – Anyone using it, what's it like ?
  • Keva
    Free Member

This fork was mentioned on another thread which I started – I’m looking for a new fork for my Ti456 frame. I’ve not come across Magura before so am quite intrigued. The reviews seem pretty good but how do they really compare to Rockshox, Fox and Manitou, Marzocchi and the like ?

Im looking to replace a two and a half year old Rockshox Revelation after shall we say some slightly odd customer service, so I’m a bit reluctant to go there even though I’ve never had any issues with the two Rebas I’ve had.

ta, Kev

gearsrgood

been very pleased with mine , 2010 thor. Run it on my Soul. Very plush , travel adjust remote not great as travel tends to creep back out again but overall very happy with them ,no probs.

nickc

They take fiddling with to get right. Lots of usable travel, stiff light. I like mine

mttm
    Free Member

It’s a good fork, probably about the stiffest in its class. Support from Magura UK is excellent (I’ve had one or two things done that were above and beyond the call of duty). They have an air pressure sweet spot that requires a little perseverance to find (recommended pressures are too low), and there are a few too many “tricks” to making them perform than there really should be for such a premium priced product (try a search on this forum for previous posts).

Would I buy one again – probably, for situations where chassis stiffness is paramount.

If you want to know anything more specific, just ask.

Daveb575
    Free Member

I have a 2009 set that I am running on a Ti 456 and I think that they suit the bike really well. As mentioned above, they are massively stiff, but without a weight penalty. I would echo the comments about them being a bit of a faff to set up and much more difficult to find the sweet spot than a Rev. Once set up they are very plush and the Albert Select feature is useful to dial out some of the dive for steep descents. They are also very reliable, performing consistently with little in the way of maintenance.

Other than the set up faff, the only issue I have is with the remote lock down. As well as the slight creep already mentioned, I find it prone to sticking as it tends to get filled with grit which is difficult to clean out.

supercyril
    Free Member

Im quite interested in a set myself. Can someone tell me how you adjust the travel as 120mm is usually all i use. i currently use u turn revs permanently set to 120 but id like to try a stiffer set up.

jules.b
    Free Member

You press and hold the travel adjust lever, compress the forks to the desired extent, and release the lever whilst the fork is still compressed. It’s rather inexact; you’d struggle to set them to 120mm. Good for quickly resetting the forks for a steep climb, not ideal for permanently reducing their travel to 120mm.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

2010 model here. On a 456ti.

Hated it, sold it.

Not plush compared to my Fox 36 Van r or my Coil Pike I have now or any other coil fork I had in the past for that matter. I found it notchy and lifeless. Good pump comes with it. I paid £310 off On One on a fantastic offer.

It was wonderfully stiff though and tight tracking as well as quite light but I like my coil Pike much more on my 456ti.

if its cheap (less then £300), get one but at list of something like £600 its robbery and there are much better forks about for that amount of wonga.

br
    Free Member

I’ve one on my 456Ti.

A bit fiddly to set-up, but any air fork with adjustable-everything is. I’ve given up on the travel adjust, just found that I don’t need it.

And compared to Fox, rode all year with no maintenance (except clean and wipe down) and still work fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Magura Thor Fork – Anyone using it, what's it like ?’ is closed to new replies.