Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Magicshine, Chinese Lights, etc. Anybody had issues that resulted in fire!!!
  • Tiger6791

I’ve got two of these and they have been fine. I’ve seen many a scare story of fires and explosions but always a friend of a friend.

Spurred by this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cree-t6-led-lights-on-amazonebay#post-4552756

Has anybody on here actually had one of these set on fire?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I had a charger go bang and split the case open when the wife switched it on.
    That was enough to put me off the chargers.

Still use the batteries occasionally but charge them with my hope charger.

globalti
    Free Member

I thought this was a thread about Chinese lanterns.

Tiger6791

So it’s the chargers that are the issue?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Not sure, I thought it was supposed to be the batteries, but it was my charger that went.
    When the batteries go I’ll probably stop using them too.

My wife didn’t appreciate my comment of ‘see, thats why I asked you to turn it on’. 😆

timbo678
    Free Member

It is the chargers, one of my riding groups blew across the room and set on fire (nothing serious), luckily he was in the next room! I use mine and it is fine!

tomhoward

Mines been fine, but I charge it at work, where it’s never out of my sight.

cp

Both of mine fine too.

Milkie
    Free Member

Li-ion battery explosions are like fireworks of the same size… So quite a big bang, but not very pretty.

Never happened to me yet… But when charging if they start swelling, quickly take it outside, before it explodes!

br
    Free Member

We’ve probably a dozen of various ones across the group I ride with, including mine. Not heard of anything.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I have one, the charger gets very hot and makes a humming noise, I keep it under the babies cot, keeps him warm and the noise soothes him also.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I have had no issues, know quite a few people with them and not personally heard of anything like this! Although I have read stories on here about it happening! I just make sure I’m in when I charge them, but never had an issue:)

Northwind

Just posted this in the other thread, but I’ve known people who’ve had Exposure chargers burn out, and a Lupine one caught fire (I’ve also had a Bosch charger catch fire). But I’ve never seen it with a magicshine one ironically.

Still don’t trust the cheapies, I charge them in the garage on a concrete floor. My nicer magicshine (872) came with an upgraded charger so I tend to use that to do all my batteries that it fits.

metal_leg
    Free Member

I had a DX supplied charger melt. Electrics tripped before it caught fire.

Im not buying the cheap stuff again. Using a UK supplier so I know its been tested properly.

Mike_T

My charger started to crackle, stopped using it and got a replacement from MTB batteries top service, you may have to email them to see if they have any in stock

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine, Chinese Lights, etc. Anybody had issues that resulted in fire!!!’ is closed to new replies.