Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • CREE T6 LED lights on Amazon/ebay
  • filks

Anyone got one?

Any good?

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

This is the best one in my opinion, the site does take you through amazon to checkout but is usually the same price or cheaper than amazon itself!

http://www.evomtb.co.uk/1200-lumen-bike-light-iamoutdoor

Extremely bright, delivery is fairly quick and quality is pretty good in my opinion!

enduroforever
    Free Member

I’ve got one and yea they are very good. Well worth the money I hope this helps

Taff
    Free Member

Yes got one. Great light on a budget

althepal

Jeezo- a triple Cree t6 lamp for £37!! Tempting!

Northwind

I’ve got one of those triples, it’s pretty shonky- poor battery, and not very good connectors etc, but also the drive modes are weird. Mid power lights 2 LEDs, full lights 3 but seems to drop the power on them, it’s barely any brighter. The beam’s a bit wastefully tight too, it could provide a wider flood without much drawback. But at the same time, the unit’s fairly heavy so not the best helmet light.

Not terrible, but kinda hard to recommend. A nearly-great. Probably someone could do something better with the hardware though?

althepal

Not me- I just buy and use. Appreciate the heads up though, ta.

hubert
    Free Member

Got one a few weeks back and am impressed. Stick with the 1800 lumen model as the 3 light ones use the battery up after about 30 mins. The 1800 lumen unit lasts about 5 hours and is very bright. Could do with being a wider beam but can’t complain at the price.

Northwind

Oh, for the XML ones- yes they are a lot of light for your money but I really, really disliked the beam pattern. Really doesn’t feel like it was designed for bikes. The older P7 lights are a lot less bright but have a better beam IMO, so personally if I needed a cheap light I’d track one down.

The ebuyer discount just ended on the MJ-872 unfortunately, at £70 it made buying 2 £20 lights seem pretty silly.

timbo678
    Free Member

If you do go for the £30 chinese lights, just be aware that the chargers may blow up – almost all my riding group have them and most are fine, but one lads charger blew up across the room and set on fire – just make sure you are around when it is charging and don’t leave it overnight.

Quality light for the price apart from that!

kuman
    Free Member

I got one for £27 of eBay, it does the job. I use it combined with 200lm head torch for off road. It came with oring type mount which is useless for off road. Replaced it with hope universal handlebar mount from crc. Going to get another one just to keep as spare.

growinglad
    Free Member

They are now showing a 1200 Lumen one

Is this still a gooden?

Notice someone mentioned about the Hope Universal bar mount. I’ve had a look at in on CRC….how does that work then?

Tiger6791

If you do go for the £30 chinese lights, just be aware that the chargers may blow up – almost all my riding group have them and most are fine, but one lads charger blew up across the room and set on fire – just make sure you are around when it is charging and don’t leave it overnight.

Quality light for the price apart from that!

I’ve heard this a few times now, is it true or urban legend?

micky
    Free Member

I’ve read it’s true for some lithium chargers. The trustfire (ironically named) had a few fire incidents on a dodgy batch i heard. I would definately not leave lithium chargers going overnight or if I was not in the house. Lithium batteries catch fire when they are overcharged. Some nice utube videos of them burning if you google it.

johnellison
    Free Member

This. Non-UK approved Chinese mains adaptors are very often lethal and aren’t earthed properly.

A colleague bought some cheapo Chinese studio lights off Fleabay with were 240v and came with UK plugs, but the earth wiring was horrendous. Needless to say he got a huge belt off one of the light casing which threw him across his living room.

Things are often cheap for a reason…

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Growinglad

The 1200 lumen one is just the same, the lumen rating is well over estimated on all these Chinese lights, based on the fact that the t6 led used can only produce 1000 lumen in perfect lab conditions. So don’t worry to much about the lumens (this only applies to the cheaply china ones) that said, they are still unbelievably bright and a bargain for the money, I always make sure I’m home when they charge, although I think the charger rumer is more myth than owt else 😉

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have one of the T6s linked above (came from another supplier but just the same). THe first one i got had a short in the wiring. Got in touch with them and they sent me another light and battery which was good.

It is very bright, but the light is all in a tight spot in the centre. Good for seeing a long way but not anything close up as the bright spot is so bright it makes it hard to see anything else.

I did also briefly have a hope R4, which did not have the same absolute brightness, but a much better wide beam pattern for my use (running off road). However, that also had a fault so went back.

My conclusion – the hope has a better beam pattern, but is not worth the 10x more £.

I have ordered one of the diffuser lenses from ebay though to see if that helps.

jumble
    Free Member

I bought one for £18 recently. The beam pattern is pretty useless for riding so I have ordered a wide beam lens from the US for £6 delivered. We will see. I am sure you could botch something up.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Not heard about the wide beam lenses, are they a direct fit into the 1200 Lumen lamp above? If they are effective that could make a really good combo for bar and helmet mounted lights, one with the wide beam one without! Although I must say I had not really noticed an issue with them not being wide enough atall, but willing to try something differant!

Has anyone tried the wide lens on these lights yet?

Northwind

I did… TBH it just made the beam a distracting shape! It’s a letterbox rather than a round beam diffuser. YMMV of course but I thought it made a half-decent light worse.

For chargers/batteries- the further issue is that there’s loads of these lights at various different specs, I’ve had 3 cheap ones and they all had different chargers. So just because your mates’ burnt out doesn’t mean yours is even the same. And also, just for balance, I only know 2 people who’ve had problems with chargers, one was an Exposure and one was a Lupine

breadcrumb

I’ve got 3 Chinese lights, two P7s and one T6. The T6 is too spotty with the smooth reflector, I managed to get an orange peel one which has made it much more useable.

I’ve never had issues with the chargers either.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Ooh. Where did you find the orange peel reflector?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Magicshine wide angle lenses fit some,they’re on eBay for about a fiver !..

I’ve got a few ting tong lights & yeah they can be a bit spotty ,but the wide angle lenses help,I’ve got a triple Cree one too,but it packed up they sent a replacement which I’ve yet to try .

On the whole they’re v good value ,even if you have to buy a new one every year IMO !.

cookeaa

I’ve had a couple of these from fleabay now…

Not found much cheaper…. 3-5 week wait from China if you can wait…

filks

Are they too much for the commute? Had a couple of apparent Taxi driver ‘invisible’ cyclist moments despite multiple lights so thought I’d get something cheap and bright.

Will I dazzle drivers with these or are they OK?

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I would say they could dazzle drivers but they have a half power setting that should be ok, I generally just tilt it to the floor slightly so it doesn’t hit oncoming traffic in the face

gordonmcateer
    Free Member

if you get one with a flat base to the relector it will give a wide beam, if you look closely at the images you will the difference.

i got one & the plastic handlebar mount broke, they offered a 50% refund, i happily accepted as it was easy to retro fit to a better bracket, in the end they gave a 100% refund. happy days!

PS lumens are mostly down to battery pack, which are even 2 or 4 18650 batteries strapped together, series or parralel wiring will make it brighter or last longer. look out for high mAh ratings (thats how ling the batteries burn for)

The little torches are good too, i esed two cable ties to fit the mount to my helmet for Dusk till Dawn, it never moved once! and gave a great light in the perfect place. I’ve bought four now as my mates keep knicking them, £12 a go plus £2-3 for a battery who’s bothered?

Happy shopping

breadcrumb

The T6 on low is as bright as a P7 on high, I would say possibly too bright for road use?

Ooh. Where did you find the orange peel reflector?

A mate had one kicking about from an old light, not that that helps you! Sorry!

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Just noticed this……..

now redirecting to this light, with UK spec charger!! interesting!

http://www.evomtb.co.uk/1800lumenbikelightsuperbright

Northwind

Must say I rather like their style. “The 1800 lumens is an enormous lie” 😆

dans160
    Free Member

So I’ve just bought something with a crappy beam pattern, is not that bright, and might blow up? Well done me! Ah well cheap for a reason. We shall see…

Northwind

I think people (including me) can be a bit negative, they’re perfectly usable lights and get you out riding for way less than the competition. There’s drawbacks but hey, if you don’t want drawbacks you’ve got to spend about £90 per light and up.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Yeah I wouldn’t worry at all, every product has negatives. They are perfectly useable and I’ve not had any probs. in fact I’m off out to the Brenig now with them 🙂

slimraybob
    Free Member

Just got the 1200 lumen one delivered (next day) and for £20 I’m well chuffed.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I’ve got two of them from China, £35 in total for 2 lights, supposed to be 2000 and 1800 lumens, they are less than that but they are more than enough light for me. Both are good for at least a 2 hour ride. Well worth it if you don’t want to spend a lot of money

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Well, just got back (well 2 hours ago actually) ended up doing a bit of an epic ride, and taking in a DH track at foel gasnach, I have to say the cheap lights were very much appreciated and needed there! All 3 of us had 2 each and our bar lights all ran out before we for home, but we all had our helmet lights with plenty of life left!

growinglad
    Free Member

I got one of these too.

Okay, for 20 quid it’s hard to be harsh.

The light and everything else looks to be of an okay build standard.

The Chinglish translated scrap of paper (user instructions), mentioned something about not leaving the batteries charging without supervision…well I think that’s what they meant…Personally it will always be in the back of my mind when charging, like any other battery.

Light pattern…hmmm, I thought it was fine/good whilst going along at a normal pace….when I got to a couple of “fast” sections I found myself looking for something a bit less spotty.

But it is bright. The dim setting, okay for the road…I wouldn’t mind it being a bit brighter.

The flashy setting….Just don’t….You’ll give half the surrounding area epilepsy.

The button is a bit sensitive so you sometimes have to try a couple of times to get the setting you want.

The O ring….hmmm, not great either.

But as I started…It’s 20 quid. For that price….you really can’t grumble.

I think if you really get into night riding, you need something a bit better, but to start out, no worries. I think this light would be handy as a backup….or if you do road rides in tut country, perfect.

Either way…I think you definitely get more than you pay for (if you get my drift), when you look what you’ll have to pay to get something better.

gonzy
    Free Member

i bought a set from C&B Seen 3 months ago and they’ve been brilliant. really bright and with a good run time on them. the charger is a UK spec with overcharge protection. i bought mine via amazon and they arrived the next day much to my surprise. for the £45 i spent on them they are superb value for money

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘CREE T6 LED lights on Amazon/ebay’ is closed to new replies.