Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lyrik service – new seals?
  • Garry_Lager

When you’re changing the oil (upper) in a set of lyriks – do you change the seals as a matter of course?
    The forks are on a second bike and the seals are over 2 years old. It gets sporadic use, though, and there is no movement or knocking round the seals that might tell you they’re knackered. Worth chucking some new ones on? If so, where do you get them from? Thanks.

unklehomered
    Free Member

At two years yes I would. TFTuned or other, you could get a full seal set or just the foam ring and dust seal and get some oil seal OEM from an online bearing supplier. I’ll find a link soonish. For fitting oil seals I would recommend the proper tool unless you have something hittable of just the right size, I didn’t and it took bloody ages.

You’ll only really know if they’re ‘needed’ once you get inside, is the oil dirty, is there crap in the foam ring, but by then you’ve taken you forks apart and are kind of commited, plus if you reach that stage you’re already riding about with nasty shit rubbing against stanchions etc. Having once neglected forks then opened them up to see the state inside I’m now pretty anal about fork care… There’s a definite cost to it but nothing to replacing forks at the mo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No. If the seals are not leaking why change them?

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Cost of seals vs the fath of doing it again in 3 months when the seals wear out.

Balance the time and cost simples

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never had a pair of seals fail on forks

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ just because the seals aren’t letting oil out, doesnt mean they aren’t letting crap in.
    Seals dont generally fail, they tend to wear or degrade, to the seal isn’t as tight after a while. Its usually a case of replacing before they start letting muck in which will degrade the stanchions, internals etc.

unklehomered
    Free Member

http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/

http://simplybearings.co.uk/

for oil seals, google should give you the dimensions for Lyriks.

As bigyinn says, change them before they need it for happy longer last forks.

EDIT, it seems from Google you can’t just get the dust seals for lyriks, so you may be better just getting a seals kit for 20 quid.

scruff
    Free Member

Loco does good seal prices.

At over 2 years old you may aswell change em if youre doing the oil.

TJ= master of longevity for chains, brake pads and now oil seals.

Garry_Lager

Thanks all.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Loco+1

….and they are Lyriks so yes, I’d change them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik service – new seals?’ is closed to new replies.