Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • lynskey ridgeline lt 26" advice needed
  • Jamesy
    Free Member

Anyone own one? how do you find it? also im not sure on sizing im 6ft 1″ 32″ leg would the large be a safe bet?

Cheers

Jamesy
    Free Member

bump

Jamesy
    Free Member

I’m guessing not to popular then !? my choices are either this or the ragley ti

emmag
    Free Member

Hi-we’ve got a large frame on offer at The Hub at Glentress-its the last frame we’ve got and its 20% off at the moment. We had a couple of Lynskeys on the demo fleet-went down well and the stock frames we had all sold.
    If you are still looking/interested then give the guys at the shop a call-01721 721736 and they can give you more details.

RRP£1200

Cheers
    Emma.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 4″ (don’t know my inside leg mesurement – sorry) and have an XL Ridgeline SS with an in-line post and 80mm stem – it suits me fine if that’s any help. How does the Large measure up against you current bike?

glynP
    Free Member

Ha so Emma got there before me, we can also do a good deal on the ridgeline if you want we have two demo’s a small and a medium if you wanted to try first. I personally think its the best hardtail I’ve ever had. My last one was a Cotic soul which was good but a little long. I run my Lynskey with a 140mm fork, it will descend anything and is comfy to boot but not in a soft way, its still stiff but I just dont notice any harshness, any more question then give me a shout.

dazzlingboy

I’m 5’11” and have a medium LT with 140mm fork – purchased as ex-demo from the good folks at Glentress 🙂

I hmm’d and haa’d about the size – I’ve always ridden bigger/longer bikes but I’m really glad I went for the medium here. I could probably have gone for the Large but with a 70mm stem the medium is spot on. I have a 32.5 inside leg and my 400mm seatube is close to the top. With the couple of inches you have on me I would say a Large would be ideal for you.

Awesome bike – just perfect for blasting trail centres – strange I know but I really enjoy climbing now – it is just instant when accelerating but as Glynp says it is much less harsh than say my old Klein on the rougher stuff/descending.

I have 2 Nicolais as well but riding Glentress for example I tend to be on the Lynskey. I keep thinking I need to take full suss but the Lynskey is just a joy to ride and I keep reaching for it and find it my bike of choice especially at this time of year.

Interestingly, I see the Ridgeline LT 26 has disappeared off the Lynskey website – now replaced with a 29er. Does that mean the Ridgeline 26LT is now a collector’s item??

Jamesy
    Free Member

dazzling.boy what OS the length of your top tube ? I ride a orange 5″ 18″ which OS perfect but o have a crush 17.5 ” and the top tube IS to short, its a good inch shorter on the crush then the 5 , I’m 6ft 1 ” bit my legs are quite short at 32″ so tt length OS important for me

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Lynskey may know how to weld but they can’t use a ruler.

I’ve had a medium and a large LT now, and neither were the dimensions that were on the Lynskey website. Emailing them got me very little from them either. They said the frames were ‘older versions’ and that was it, even though the frames were definitely 2010 frames.

I’ll write some more later but whatever you do, measure/ride the thing first and don’t trust anything on the website.

Jamesy
    Free Member

cheers reggie, let me know more later, quite concerned of that’s the case . can’t find geometry on the lynskey website but on.chain reaction it lists the medium as having a 23.75 ” top tube on the medium

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Here goes. Sit back, relax and read my Lynskey Ridgeline LT story.

I wanted a new ti frame with around a 23.5 – 23.75 inch TT so I looked at the Lynskey website and the medium was listed as 23.75 which was bob on, so I decided that was the one to get. I was a tad suspicious at the time as 23.75 is pretty long for a Large, let alone a medium. So I emailed them to check and they confirmed that 23.75 was indeed the correct number for a medium. So I orded one from Sprockets (in Kilmarnock)…..

It arrived after a bit of a delay – lovely frame. Started to build it up, fitted heli tape etc. and then thought – I’ll just check the TT length. Guess what, it was 23 inches – not even close to what they said, and way too short for me.

So I got in a protracted conversation with the shop I bought it from – Sprockets in Kilmarnock, who were excellent about this (although they still haven’t sent me a receipt for the frame, despite being asked repeatedly…)

Anyway, I still liked the frame so I tried to find the dimensions of the Large frame – Lynskey were their usual rubbish selves and even though they replied to my emails they still didn’t know anything or give me any real confidence in their product. I told them that their website was wrong but they tried to suggest I must have a ‘older frame’ and they’ve changed the spec on the new one. I told them that this is a brand new 2010 frame which is not old at all!

In the end I took a bit of a punt and swapped the medium for a Large. I didn’t trust Lynskey any more but I figured it should be a longer frame and might be fine. When it (finally) arrived it had a measured TT of 23.5 inches which is fine for me. Not what the Lynskey website says but no surprise there.

Moral of the story: Lynskey have built a frame and don’t know how big it is. It’s a lovely frame but ride/measure one first. Any other approach is taking a punt.

glynP
    Free Member

Hi reggie I will get your reciept sent out to you and I must appologise for the mix up, dont be too hard on Lynskey as their frames are superb but you are correct their wbsite is wrong, glad you finally got the correct bike and are happy with it.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers Glyn. Email/pm me if you don’t have my address.

I agree the frames are nice but I think my attitude to Lynskey is reasonable. They made the purchasing process much more complicated and frustrating because they didn’t inform potential buyers of what they need to know. When you spend a grand, you don’t want to get all stressed about it!

If I was buying again, I’d certainly think twice about a Lynskey.

dazzlingboy

dazzling.boy what OS the length of your top tube ?

will break out the tape measure this evening if i get the chance and post exact dimensions.

Jamesy
    Free Member

cheers reggie appreciate the info,.now you have a large how do you find the standover height ? also how tall are you and your leg measurement ? singletrackworld had a review of the large and they stated that the tt was the size listed on the lynskey website and standover was not so good , confused

billyboy
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ / 6′ ish with 31″ inside leg and the small (16″??) with a 20mm layback post and 90mm stem seemed way big enough for me. There is a fair old stretch on the top tube and I reckon I could’ve gone to a straight post on it. It felt good but I didn’t ride it more than 100yds. The man who took it out on the night ride rated it.

If you are in the south east Bigfoot Bikes (02084625004 Hayes/Bromley) have one kitted out with reasonably humble parts which is out on loan at the moment. I’m not sure if it will be available for long so if you are interested in a test ride ring tomorrow.

Jamesy
    Free Member

nice one dazzling boy

reggiegasket
    Free Member

medium has a 23 inch top tube
    large is 23.5 inch

measured horizontally, with a unsagged RS Sektor fork set a 120mm travel.

Lynskey website doesn’t have the 26″ LT specs any more it seems
    CRC has the medium at 23.75 and the large at 24.25
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45197

glynP
    Free Member

Billy Boy thats amazing I’m 5’4″ and ride a small, it has a 22″ horizontal TT and a 15″ ST. I ride with a 70mm stem and inline post and think its bang on for me. I think bike TT’s are too long nowadays as more and more people of your height are riding smalls and then companies like SantaCruz get critisized in the mags for short top tubes. There not short its just that Santacruz size their bikes for the correct size people, ie a small is for shorties like me and a large is for big blokes (or girls sorry)

Jamesy
    Free Member

looks like theres a new model coming in April, hopefully the right info will be available then ….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can be the guinea pig James 😉

Jamesy
    Free Member

I may well be 🙂

dazzlingboy

710 – centre of seatpost to centre of bars
    610 – centre of headtube horizontally to centre of seatpost – theoretical horizontal top tube
    575 – centre of headtube to centre of seattube – actual top tube
    390 – centre of BB to centre of junction of head and seat tubes
    585 – centre of BB to theoretical junction of horizontal top tube.
    750 – standover height – from top surface of top tube at its lowest point to ground
    1170 – wheelbase

Fitted with 140mm travel Magura Thor fork and 2.2in tyres. Frame is size Medium.
    In my socks, crotch to floor 840mm – 33in.
    Bike as shown – 23lbs and not a super light trick build. Could be 20lbs I reckon if fitted with a lighter fork and some fancier kit.

Hope this helps!

PS Wall needs repointing – I know!

Jamesy
    Free Member

dazzling boy your a legend for taking time out to do that , thats quality. looks like tt length is shorter than the 23.75 mm listed. but my orange crush has 580 mm tt which is a little short so the lynskey has an extra 30 mm on its tt so it.may well be ok. thanks again bud

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘lynskey ridgeline lt 26" advice needed’ is closed to new replies.