Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • luge and bobsleigh
  • tails
    Free Member

Now obviously like any normal person I'd like to try one of these, but have any STWers done it as it's not the most accessible of sports.

what was it like, did you manage to hold on?

How many runs are there in the world?

RoterStern
    Free Member

In Oberhof in Germany they have a world cup bob-sleigh run which mere mortals can have a go on either on an iceraft (an inflatable bob-sleigh)and ice tube (an inflatable tractor inner tube). Have a look here to watch the video.

allthegear
    Free Member

Was in Lillehammer this Summer and went down the run there – same one that Richard Hammond did on Top Gear.
    Didn't think they would let me ride, having turned up on crutches after stuffing my ankle earlier in the day on the DH runs (which were fab BTW). Didn't seem to bother them at all – as long as I didn't mind it hurting, they didn't mind!
    By eck it's fast! It really is quite difficult to even keep your head pointing straight. In a turn, you're looking virtually straight "up" if you want to see ahead.

xcgb
    Free Member

I did the one in la plagne france this year, not sure if I fancy the one man that they do! great fun though

wheelz
    Free Member

Had a go at skeleton bob when I was in the army in Germany many years ago – can't remember the name of the course, but it wasn't regarded as being very challenging. I think it was the same year a couple of squaddies got killed taking on the Oberstdorf big ski jump on a beer crate!

Typical army introduction to a new sport – "Wear this helmet, to stop you damaging the ice with your head. Don't let go with your hands or you'll lose your fingers. Use your feet to brake and steer, it won't work, but it will make you feel better. Off you go then…"

A little bit scary because there was no feeling of being in control, and it felt proper fast.

Good fun, but once was enough for me. Consigned, along with hang gliding, to the done it, got the t-shirt, won't be doing it again list of pastimes.

Bunnyhop

When in Vail, Colorado several years ago, they had a 4 man with driver ( probably still there).
    I was about to buy a ticket when I decided to watch my friend come back from her go. After seeing her shaking, laughing and crying as she climbed out, all at the same time, also whispering that she'd 'wet herself' with the fear, it put me off.
    The 'G' force and speed is supposed to be such an adrenalin rush, which is something else she managed to let me know much later, when she'd calmed down, gone back to our apartment and 'ahem' changed.

simonm
    Free Member

lol, classic instructions !

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Used to street luge .. does that count?

Stuart

cxi
    Free Member

My good lady and her sister have been on the bobsleigh track in Latvia.

Cost about £6, they were given a crash helmet, bunged at the front of the sleigh and sent down the hill with some other random folks.

It was bonkers apparently – she gets motion sickness in a car…

http://www.simonseeks.com/travel-guides/uncool-runnings-bobsleigh-latvia__112400

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Here near Innsbruck you can pay to go on the run (in Igls) either in a bob or I think also on some kind of sledge.

I went up a few weekends ago to watch the European championships – the competitors go amazingly fast compared to the visitor ones. I also met the British team on my way out and had a chat, they thought I had come all the way here to be a supporter. Apparently they train the starts near Bath, and do the full training in France!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I've done bobsleigh in La Plagne and to be honest I didnt rate it. It took quite a while to get speed up, and then when it did you couldnt see anything as being unused to it it became impossible to keep your head up because of the G forces. It does feel like at times that its going to tip over.

Definately worth a go though just to experience it, but I definately thought 80 mph on skis is more fun than 80 mph in a piece of fibre glass in a fridge.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Unfortunately this is the closest I've come to doing it properly (it's not me by the way!)

tails
    Free Member

eyes on the prize!! where's that coffeeking

simonm
    Free Member

remember the old one like that at Alton towers ? think it had a concrete track

ebygomm
    Free Member

There's a toboggan run like that in Llandudno.

Bunnyhop

I know the one ebygomm – next to the dry ski slope, up the happy valley.

Creg

Coffeeking – Is that Alpe D'Huez by any chance?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Been on the one mentioned above in Igls and very exciting it was too
    When I had a go they were insisting on people over a certain weight to maintain traction on the bends
    Very noisy and although the run didn't take long semed like a lot longer at the time
    Not cheap though, many years ago and it was about 35 quid a person

Must go back there one day, I like Igls and had three great holidays there

Flaperon

Woodlands?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘luge and bobsleigh’ is closed to new replies.