Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Love at first ride
  • blooddonor
    Free Member

Pitch pro…… Three years old and still puts a smile on my face every day 😆

instanthit
    Free Member

Cotic soul.
    On the road, roubaix pro.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Cove Handjob, I built it up with money I earnt doing a couple of Crimbo shifts and it’s just great nearly 4 years later, saying that it’s had more come backs than Evander Holyfield 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

It’s terrible how few of you seem to have ridden a Maverick. You poor things.

DT78
    Free Member

Charge duster here too, currently resisting temption to spend more money to rebuid/upgrade for 2012.

singlespeedstu

tazzymtb – Member
    awesome bike, but looks like it’s going as need to downsize the collection

Downsize? Just sell your ass a bit cheaper and do longer shifts. 😆

CheesybeanZ

for me having ridden many and owned 11 (so far)these felt right instantly

2008 orange 5
    singular swift
    black sheep highlight

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Love at first test ride for my Cannondale CAAD4 F600; thought I’d better try a few others (Trek, Kona, Gary Fisher, Scott, giant, spesh etc) to get the best bike for me, but it was the ‘Dale that felt ‘just right’ instantly. actually I was set to buy the Trek, but then a couple of days later came back to put a deopisit on it, and they had the Cannondale just in. Had a quick spin, that was it. Sorted.

Loved my Rock Lobster 853 from the start, without even test riding one.

Tried a Titus Motolite up in North wales recently, up on the Marin Trail. Bloody hell what a lovely bike. Not set up for me, stem too long, wrong saddle etc, but felt great from the off, and after a very short time I was riding it like I’d had it for ages. If I buy a full susser, it needs to be just like that. Best one I’ve ever ridden.

Funnily enough, on the same holiday, an equally borrowed Spesh Tricross felt really good; 50 mile ride, felt fine after, no complaints. Which for a road bike, is saying something.

Sue; be worried. Be very worried…. 😉

amodicumofgnar

Mk2 inbred because it suited the forks I had on it where as the mk1 didnt. Same forks were OK on the cotic but once the ones I wanted turned up the Soul it was love at first fork again.

TiRed

Kona Paddy Waggon fixed. The geometry is sublime. The only way I could improve it is to make it from titanium. Every commute is great.

And my Merlin road bike always makes me grin. Tbat one IS titanium.

The Kona Unit 29er was also love at first ride, this replaced my Airnimal, which in truth took a while to come to love.

tang
    Free Member

kona explosif, cotic soul, swift ss opened my eyes to the big wheel pleasures.

Northwind

Another Cotic Soul… There’s just a rightness about them. And I suppose my rigid-forked Carrera, wasn’t technically a first ride as I’d had all the bits for ages but the carbon-forked version’s so different from the original that I’d call it a new bike.

richen987
    Free Member

have loved my Sanderson Life from the first ride, great bike so much fun and perfect for me.

johnny

Cannondale 613 on the road. still love it now.

DMR Switchback- built up on the very cheap, with bits taken off a Marin Wolf ridge. (which was my least loved bike)Totally rediscovered hardtails as a result.

And as a refinement of the above- Cotic soul- though i had to run it with 1oomm forks for a bit until i picked up some 100-130 revelations. Still that setup two years later, and going strong.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Rockhopper Comp from about 1990, still would put many modern bikes to shame.

Klein Fervor

Giant Anthem

hsmith
    Free Member

cannondale prophet 2008

Coyote
    Free Member

Kona Stinky Six 2001
    Kona Stinky 2006
    Kona Stinky 2009
    Kona Stinky 2011

Absolutely gutted that they don’t make them any more

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Been through over 40 bikes/frames in about 12 years.

Only one that was love at first ride was/is my Singular Swift. Never had a bike feel so good or fit so well.

All the others had something (maybe *really* small) that was not quite right.

corroded
    Free Member

I tried a Swift a few weeks ago and, considering it was my first time on a 29er, it just felt right immediately. Spot-on geometry.

The other bike that I loved straight off was my first-gen Spesh Enduro. It was as perfect a FS for my needs as I can imagine and I still regret selling it.

honourablegeorge

Can’t argue with the Soul, it’s “right”.

Feel the saem about my Spicy though, and it couldn’t be more different.

fisha
    Free Member

Klein palomino was always a smile on face ride , esp with the maverick mono link upgrade, it just climbed sooooo well.

However, it doesn’t beat the cannon dale caadx 105 I’ve recently bought. It’s just such a good bike all round, really really enjoy it’s versatility, and it’s a perfect fit for me when riding

takisawa2

Clown wheel Inbred for me.
    And 04 Spesh Enduro just instantly felt right also.

chakaping
    Free Member

Original (not X) Giant Anthem.

Still the fastest and in some ways the most flattering bike I have ever ridden. Fell out of love after a year or two though as it proved too much of a handful for me.

More recently Trek Session 88 – fits me great, intuitive handling, pedals so well. Felt instantly at home on it.

edhornby

my bokor – it came from halfords, I rode it with the stock pedals and tyres and it was great. the positioning is spot on for me, it’s light but not so you think that you’ll bend it, and although it’s not cut out for chairlift followed by black run, it’s not meant to be, you thrash it through the woods as fast as you can whilst trying to burn your mates off 🙂

callous
    Free Member

My old 2009 Claud Butler Cape Wrath – bought on a budget and it was great – it really was just perfect.
    Then last year, I and the bike got taken down on a roundabout, bye bye Cape Wrath….

kayak23

1974 Kawasaki Z900
    ….and a Sunn Radical(except that I never ended up buying one)

rewski
    Free Member

It’s terrible how few of you seem to have ridden a Maverick. You poor things.

Tried but hated every minute, too top gun for me and butt ugly.

yossarian
    Free Member

Cotic soul, kona explosif (99) and singular swift. All 3 felt perfect but all in slightly different ways. The soul felt like it wanted to go apeshit into every corner, the explosif had a lovely balance and the swift is just plain fast and smooth.

scottalej
    Free Member

Early 90’s fully rigid Kona Lava Dome, my first ‘proper’ mtb (Purple with black P2 forks)
    Orange 5 2007/8
    Cotic Soul (2008? Custard)
    KTM Lycan
    Spesh Enduro 2005
    Cove Handjob pre 2009

passtherizla
    Free Member

commie meta 5.5 tried one and wanted one so bad… saved for ages and then the frame cracks started happening, so i waited until this year to buy one super cheap, and I just love it.

climbs well descends well.. and is a laugh a minute.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Bernaard
    Free Member

My old SS Wanga. Sadly gone
    My old Kona unit 29er. Again sadly gone. Perhaps the new one will replace it’s finery
    At the moment the Spicy feels nice

messiah
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AM – first time I took it to play in the big mountains it’s performance astounded me. It was the holly grail of trail bike for the ups and doonhall bike for the downs. A year and half later and riding it still makes me grin like an idiot 😀

timc
    Free Member

Orange 5, i demo’d about 8 bikes & that one felt ‘right’ straight away!

Warming to my soul,liking it more & more, but the Orange was instant!

Mike-E

1994 Kona Kilauea

jam-bo

original specialized SX.
    commencal supreme DH, borrowed a mates for a couple of days. Bought one a couple of days later.

jimster
    Free Member

’96 Cindercone.

My Giant NRS is nice, as is the In-Bred with sliding drop-outs but they will never compare to the ‘cone.

Was truly gutted when the drop-out died.

johnners
    Free Member

Cotic Soul in its original guise. Of course everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but when I hear someone say they don’t like the way the Soul rides their opinion is just wrong.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Spec pitch.

Is my first foray into FS, the faster you go, the better it works. It’s bloody awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Love at first ride’ is closed to new replies.