Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Loose cassette on Pro11 hub – help?
  • bullit
    Free Member

Just replaced an XT cassette onto a Hope Pro11 hub and have noticed a lot of play in the cassette despite fitting it and tightening it up all fine and dandy as usual. There was no noticeable movement in the hub at all with the old cassette fitted. It seems like the cassette holder (gold) is now loose and wobbling a bit, but I cannot see how this has happened suddenly as end caps still tight. Seal still looks in place ok. Any ideas what has happened to the hub and how to fix – I'm going to dismantle it this evening.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

This might help…

Don't use a socket to drive the bearings in unless you've filed it down to a flat face. The rounded edge of a normal socket can slip and crush the seals. Check out the Hope video.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

use the drive side seal and a block of wood to tap the bearings into the drive side of the freehub body. works a treat.

but back to the OP – sounds like a worn bearing in the freehub somewhere along the line. are all the seals etc in the right way round??

bullit
    Free Member

Thanks all – aye MrCrushrider , the seals are all in fine and it was working perfectly well until the cassette removed and replaced. Just cant see how this much play in the freehub body could come from a worn bearing though. Also, I'd have thought I would have noticed it happening gradually, not instantly as is the case. I've taken the hub to bits and replaced the bearings a few times now and know the drill. Will just have to look see tonight.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

hmmm, as good as they are – pro2's can be a right ball-ache! maybe a strip & rebuild will sort it, is the big black freehub seal on the right way and seated properly?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don't use a socket to drive the bearings in unless you've filed it down to a flat face. The rounded edge of a normal socket can slip and crush the seals. Check out the Hope video.

Just use the back side not the front side of the socket!! Unlike the first picture 🙂 Works for me IMHO 🙂 I do not think it matters what you use as long as your gentle and use small taps when using makeshift tools IME.

bullit
    Free Member

Dismantled the hub last night and found that one of the bearings inside the freehub body was completely destroyed , with loose ball bearings and a mangled casing. Hence the play in the cassette. Thankfully no other damage done. Weird that one bearing shoudl be so badly and quickly mangled and all the other bearings looked sound. Replaced all three sets in the freehub and it is running smooth and tight now. Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Loose cassette on Pro11 hub – help?’ is closed to new replies.