Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • looking for a steel frame, 2 in mind
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

I am looking to get a steel hardtail frame. Either a cotic bfe or a on-one 456. Which is goin to maybe better for a bit of all day riding (on and off road) a bit of street riding (but no stupid jumping or hucking). riding the likes of ashton court, afan that sort of thing.

ctk
    Free Member

456 & the spare cash spent on better bits.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

456 all day. Cheap as chips, funky colours and great to ride all day.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

ok 456 it is

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

p7.

rOcKeTdOg

Dialled PA

HTTP404
    Free Member

If this were purely about £s then you wouldn't even need to ask the question. Since you have, it can't be about the money can it? So I'll go with the BFe.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

looking kind of under £400. was told bfe is not that good for all day riding going from a full suss mongoose otero back to hard-tail and not aluminium.

brakes
    Free Member

BFe every time

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The 456 is ace. You won't regret it and you'll have £'s to spend on nice bits to go on it! Mine gets used for all sorts of different stuff and is just plain good fun. Fill yer boots – order it this weekend and you'll have it built up by next if you try hard enough! Have fun. 🙂

Northwind

BFe is kind of the wrong bike here, you'd be far better stretching the budget to the Soul if you can, or otherwise going with the 456, I reckon. I love my Soul, I think it's an awesome bit of kit but it's a lot of cash for a coathanger, albeit a coathanger made of posh steel with top quality finishing and brilliant geometry and overall ride quality 😉 I could be almost as happy on a 456, it's a lot more than 1/3rd as good for 1/3rd the price…

simonlovell999
    Free Member

i think the 456 wins. budget wise. what does a 456 weigh

Simon

Around 5.5lbs IIRC

simonlovell999
    Free Member

ok. sounds good. around the same weight as bfe. £200 more justification, um no. i get a 16" 456 in a few weeks and a 80mm stem. good headset for under £60, looking at cane creek s3?

Simon

Hers my 16" 456 with Pikes.

Trekster

Blue Pig 😀

takisawa2

Cane Creek S3 is spot on for what it costs. Have a King, had a Hope. If ever need to buy another headset I'll get an S3 / S4.
    Frame wise, currently riding a SS Inbred. Had a Soul for a while. In my opinion the Soul is simply not worth the cost of 3 Inbreds. The cash is better spent on nicer bits to hang off it.
    Thinking of chopping my FS in for a 456 now, but really liking the look of that Sanderson Life.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

does any know about the CEN tests. 456?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

ragley blue pig does look nice. 456 value for money, but much info on there site. annoying

Northwind

"does any know about the CEN tests. 456?"

456 passed without modification.

Trekster

simonlovell999 – Member
    ragley blue pig does look nice. 456 value for money, but much info on there site. annoying

Sure do.

Mine. Donors were Bontrager and Kona Dawg fs. Now my do everything bike. This pic was 2nd ride around Blencartha/Latrigg @ Keswick

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Last time I looked, On One had Race Face Deus headsets for well under £30 – get one at the same time as the frame? It's what I've got in my 456, except I didn't get the headset from them – I've had it for YEARS, and it's still going strong.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

dilema – 456 does look nice but the blue pig looks better!!! which one rides better!!!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Here you go:

CEN passing info

RaceFace Deus headset

My work here is done… 😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The Blue Pig does look great, but is 130 – 150mm forked
    The 456 is 4", 5", 6" fork, so 100 – 150ish

I think the Blue Pig is also longer and slacker – probably more akin to a Summer Season?

Also, it's £260, and the 456 is £145…

HTTP404
    Free Member

which one rides better!!!

perhaps you should find a test ride????

simonlovell999
    Free Member

i got a 120mm mx comp that be fine on a blue pig? decisions.. oh crap

simonlovell999
    Free Member

where could i find a test ride of a 456 and a blue pig. I live in Bristol

Northwind

There's Blue Pigs (and Mmmbops) on the Bikeradar demo day tour. Don't know if anyone demos 456s?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

cant get to the demo days. so I prob save up for blue pig. running a 120mm on blue pig will be ok?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

either £145 frame and race face deus headset £28 for £173
    or
    blue pig for £260

on a budget £300 tops, oh what to do…..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘looking for a steel frame, 2 in mind’ is closed to new replies.