Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • London Emission Zone
  • Karinofnine

So, using the ‘flowchart’ my car is affected but if I put my reg in their checker it is not. Are people who live in the zone exempt? I have looked at the FAQs on TfL’s site but ‘What if I live inside the zone’ isn’t there.

andytherocketeer

Thought it was only for trucks, vans, buses and ambulances etc. running on diesel?

Karinofnine

No, from 3 January 2012 the scope has been extended to include 4x4s and various other vehicles, and the rules for vehicles currently exempt have been made stricter.

I rang the helpline. My car IS exempt, apparently due to the way it is registered. I can’t see from my logbook, it doesn’t have much information on it, but it seems there are several ways to describe a 4×4: estate, light utility vehicle, station wagon etc, and some of the descriptions attract the LEZ charge and some do not. My car (oh joy!) does not.

Stuey01
    Free Member

What is your car?

wwaswas

there’s an awful lot of people with pre-2002 diesel camper vans and 4×4’s who are pee’d off by this. Addition of particulate filters just isn’t cost effective.

If you live in the zone you aren;t exempt – it’s £100/day the vehicle is in the zone from the day it’s introduced. You need to move it outside the zone before the new rules come in.

If the site says you’re exempt I’d get somethign in writing from them before I would risk it, if I were you.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hi K, looking at the website a good while back my VW T4 was listed as being liable to fall foul of this a few years ago, they never implemented the ban. I sold it cos the LEZ was looming among other reasons, want another now.
    You should call if your passing sometime, we got some easy lay chicks on the go!
    M

Karinofnine

Stuey – Nissan Patrol 3L TDI X reg.

Although my postal address is in London, I actually live in Hertfordshire. I took my car into London 4 times I think in the snow last winter (because the trains threw in the towel and I had to get to work). Right now I am recovering from a back operation and am using a combination of train/car/bike to get to work until I am back to full fitness, at which point the car stays at home and I will commute by bike/train/bike.

According to the site, if you take a not-exempt vehicle in you get a warning letter for the first offence and as long as you either don’t reoffend or sell/alter your car you don’t get fined.

wwaswas
    Karinofnine

TAXIS are exempt??? They spew out great plumes of thick choking black smoke!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Muchos Grazias for this informationie.. I’ve just checked my van and it’s on the list (of exempt) sooo it’s coming in to get ya’s..

My mates T4 however will have to sit outside in a field somewhere whilst he catches a lift with someone..

I vote another “Taxis!! Exempt!!” Phah, them and those battered up Mercs are the worst offenders..

aracer
    Free Member

Guardian journalist Steve Chamberlain from east London bought a VW van a month ago. Then came the letter from Transport for London …

“Dear Sir, the vehicle you recently bought is now a worthless pile of junk.” Or words to that effect.

Ah, the Low Emission Zone. I’d seen the signs around town but assumed that it was aimed at commercial vehicles only. Not so. Yes, I got caught out because I didn’t do that extra research but I do think that, this close to the roll-out of the scheme, it should be harder to buy a vehicle that is essentially illegal.
    I presume Guardian journalists don’t realise that there is a world outside the M25?

grantway
    Free Member

Its Diesel only
    Apparently does not concern vans of the same age in petrol or larger petrol
    engines.
    So basically another TAX on the privilege living/working in London

CountZero

… it should be harder to buy a vehicle that is essentially illegal.

It’s only illegal if you live in That London. I would have thought its the responsibility of the buyer. Caveat emptor, n’all that.
    Wonder if my Octy 1.9TDi is legal…
    …not that I live in London Village, but I do visit from time to time.

nickb

I have a 2001 Land Rover Defender 90 diesel (station wagon style-seats and windows in the back).
    Earlier this year, i received the letter from tfl explaining that was liable for the LEZ charge – I was pretty shocked, especially as I live in the zone and would have to pay £100/day!

I enquired about fitting a filter to make the car exempt, but was told it would cost about £3k.

In the end, I found out it was because the car was registeted on the V5 as a ‘light utility vehicle’. I managed to get it re-registered as an ‘estate’ which makes it exempt (required a letter from Land Rover UK explaining that this model was originally built as a station wagon [estate] and therefore should be exempt).

Bit of a pain, but I now have one of the very few LEZ exempt Land Rover 90s in the country, and it’s a supercool Tomb Raider edition. As it happens, I’m now thinking of selling it if anyone is interested…

Cheers
    Nick

TheBrick
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    TAXIS are exempt??? They spew out great plumes of thick choking black smoke!

Well they are “public transport”, just for a different kind of public, the kind who can afford to be chauffeur driven.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah Ive got a T4 2001, and recently had a letter through saying it had been seen on camera in the LEZ

and that from next year it will cost me £100 a day,along with a suggestion to buy a NEw van !! yeah right

luckily I was just nipping down to deliver and next time will go in a petrol van so its exempt !!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve a few windsurfing mates that have T2’s and T4’s, they’re the worst hit, them and the campers. It does seem rather off that it’s retrospective. I mean why not state from Jan12 all new vehicles must comply with law blah,blah,blah and that all current vehicles driving are, well, exempt. Natural wastage being what it is I guess all current stuff will be scrapped over the next X years..

But then I’m only really thinking about mates, there are a lot more people affected that we’ll never see.. Oldies with old deisel vans that do community stuff and community transport and the like.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘London Emission Zone’ is closed to new replies.