• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by timc.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Liverpool to Hereford??
  • timc
    Free Member

So work takes me to Hereford Friday, AA Route planner tells me to go straight down via Shrewsbury etc.

My question is, what's the A49 between Shrewsbury & Hereford like? Reason I ask is I've been caught in the A Road Hell before & I'm wondering if the Motorway to Worcester & Then A/B roads might be an easier drive?

Any local knowledge greatfully recieved 🙂

Geronimo
    Free Member

what's the A49 between Shrewsbury & Hereford like?

Much nicer than the M6.

mcobie
    Free Member

It's fine if you like travelling at 35mph 😉

timc
    Free Member

will be about 8-9pm if that makes a difference?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Spot on..

I used to work in Hereford,and used to use this all the time.

I came back up this way about 2 weeks ago, and it was all good.

actiondan
    Free Member

My brother is in the army and based in Hereford and I went to see him on Sunday gone, traveling from the Wirral and travelled on the A49 took 2.5 hrs and thats with Sunday drivers, if you like overtaking and driving quick you can probably do it in 2hrs.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have travelled that way from home (liverpool) to afan. Takes a bit longer but the scenery is worth it anyday.

timc
    Free Member

Is Afan worth it loddrik?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is closer!

Nick

I live just off the A49, North of Shrewsbury is crap (I use it a lot to go to Wigan), south is better and generally quieter, plus the scenery is better, going to Abergavenny tomorrow so will be using it then.

mrmo
    Free Member

spent 6 months going between cheltenham and Chester, started of using the M6 but not worth the hassle, going down through wrexham, oswestry, shrewsbury, is a much nicer route. It isn't much slower unless you get caught behind a tractor. The route did get more and more scenic as time went by, the pointless detour over the horseshoe pass for instance. Never got much slower.

Houns

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid the M6 on a Friday a ANY time. The A49 is a good run, plenty of opportunity to make progress 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Timc, absolutely!

timc
    Free Member

Lovely drive, Liverpool to Hereford in under 3 hours including food stop… perfect!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool to Hereford??’ is closed to new replies.