Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Limewire – buggered by lawmakers
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

Just for clarity:

timc
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I ‘borrow’ it to see if I like it

You have to have permission to borrow something otherwise your stealing it…

retro83
    Free Member

timc – Member

You have permission from the person uploading it 🙂

Kuco

timc, do you work in the record industry ?

timc
    Free Member

pretty obvious hey Kuco

Hey don’t get me confused for some anti piracy warrior, I know that horse bolted years ago… I Don’t really care.

I just find the reasoning of some people bizarre & quite annoying. most annoying for me is people resent a popular artist making money… mental!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Kind of irrelevant. In this situation the question is “is anyone harmed by my borrowing/stealing it, listening, deciding I don’t like it and then hitting delete”. The answer is “no”. Normally I would not have bought it at all, so no cash has been lost by the artist, but they have gained a chance to sell something. If they want to avoid that then it’s their own choice as to where they draw the cost/benefit line.

Kuco

9 out of 10 I generally buy the single or album if I like it as it normally much better quality and I liked Limewire as I found some rare or different versions of songs I wouldn’t have not heard other wise.

timc
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    Kind of irrelevant. In this situation the question is “is anyone harmed by my borrowing/stealing it, listening, deciding I don’t like it and then hitting delete”. The answer is “no”. Normally I would not have bought it at all, so no cash has been lost by the artist, but they have gained a chance to sell something. If they want to avoid that then it’s their own choice as to where they draw the cost/benefit line.

I suspect, like many who champion this line of thought, you occasionally buy something, but illegally download & utilise a lot more.

ofcourse i may be wrong & you may indeed be a one in a million guy who goes away & buys everything he likes / wants / listens to legally… 🙄

nickf
    Free Member

So where will I get my bootlegs now? I got a load of Springsteen concerts from Limewire – no loss to the industry, as it was illegally recorded in the first place.

vinnyeh

Problem for me was that I developed a mindset when Napster was up and running that if the record companies couldn’t be bothered to rerelease music that I liked, or might like, or even to release new minority interest stuff in this country, then I’d just obtain it best way I could – and now I’m not bothered about paying for any of it.
    Contrast with my wife who never saw the Napster thing, and happily went from paying for cd’s to paying on iTunes.
    When you’ve had it for free, to start paying again seems retrograde.

TV is a murkier area, since the royalties aren’t affected.
    My viewpoint is that if a media company won’t treat the world as a single market, I’ll obtain it from the place I can get it soonest. whether I pay for it or not.

Militant_biker

I used to use Napster/Audiogalaxy waaay back, but stopped many years ago. With Spotify getting a bit worse as time goes by, lots of music being removed, I’ve started buying CD’s or downloads from Amazon.

I don’t think of it as a retrograde step – that’d be saying that getting music for free is the pinnacle of music obtainingness. It’d be like going back to buying the cheapest booze to get pished on as quickly as possible, rather than spending money on something you want to savour?

coffeeking
    Free Member

ofcourse i may be wrong & you may indeed be a one in a million guy who goes away & buys everything he likes / wants / listens to legally…

Correct, I am one in a million, though I think your odds are a bit off – I know a few people who work like this. I don’t listen to much music, I dislike most of the tat that’s out there, so I have a CD (and hence MP3 collection) of <50 CDs. The rest of the time I listen to the radio. I was recently given a 90Gb collection of MP3s. I went through, delete all the stuff I already had, listened to a few tracks from each album on it over the course of a week and deleted those I wasn’t interested in. I’ve now got 2 or maybe 3 CD’s I’m planning to buy from it, and the rest has been binned.

donsimon
    Free Member

Wasn’t Limewire borked years ago when you had more chance of downloading a virus that a regular file.

Scout
    Free Member
    Kuco

I stopped using it about 18 months ago as it started to go down hill imo. Use youtube a lot to listen to bands.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Do you think music will stop being made if artists & record companies stopped getting stupid-rich?

The age of an artist releasing an album every 2-3 years then raking in the cash is over.

You don’t need record companies anymore, music is in the digital age.
    You can make music at home on laptop software and equipment and upload to he internet yourself.

There is no viable replacement for a hardcopy yet anyway – CDs were the biggest con of the modern music age, an awful medium. minidisc never took off, so now you buy what? a computer file, a little brown folder on your computer screen, hardly a tangible object, but still get charged £8 from itunes!

There’s so many bands that i’ve got into via torrent download that i never would have taken a punt on, they now have my money through gig tickets.

So the solution?
    Record companies accept that we are not hostages to their demands and artists will (shock/horror) work harder by gigging regulary and releasing albums more often, which will separate the talented hard workers from the plastic puppets.

my 2p.

Kuco

work harder by gigging regulary

But a lot can’t sing for toffee live they need all the digital enhancements they can get 😉

CountZero

im astonished that anyone would pay a record company 15 quid for an album

Certainly wouldn’t. I look around and buy cheaper where I can find the cd. An example: Blonde Redhead’s new album ‘Penny Sparkle’ is £14 in HMV, Red Laser on my phone found it for £6.48 online in a couple of minutes. And not on Amazon either. The remark about buying from iTunes only benefiting Apple shows ignorance too, Apple don’t make very much at all out of iTunes, it’s there to drive the purchase of hardware. I’ve got CDs from ten or more years ago with price stickers of £13-14, before the ‘net became really widespread, and prices online now are much, much lower. The Beatles ‘Red’ and ‘Blue’ albums when they first came out on cd were nearly £30 each, Apple insisted that as it was originally a double vinyl it should be a double cd, and priced as two single cd’s at £15 each. The remastered versions were in HMV last Saturday at £9.95 per version, a third of the original price. I occasionally buy downloads when it’s a track I particularly want and don’t want a whole album or compilation, and I frequently take advantage of the iTunes weekly free track. Never bothered with torrents, I could never, ever get Limewire or any other torrent to actually do anything, and anyway, it’s bloody embarrassing turning up at a gig with a CD-R of an album from a torrent site with a crappy print of the artwork and ask the artist to sign it. I have significant numbers of signed CDs which I treasure, and a crappy download could never replace.

uplink
    Free Member

The remark about buying from iTunes only benefiting Apple shows ignorance too, Apple don’t make very much at all out of iTunes

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Limewire – buggered by lawmakers’ is closed to new replies.