Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Lighter alternative to Coil U-Turn Lyriks ?
  • cr500dom
    Free Member

I have a set of 2010 Coil Lyrics on my Bluepig, and I am thinking of fitting something lighter

I like the way they ride, very well controlled and the stiffness of them with the 20mm maxle, but they are heavy, and spend most of the time wound down to 120-130 mm.

Would prefer to stay with 20mm bolt through as I dont want to be changing wheels just yet either

1.1/8″ steerer too

Any recommendations for lighter weight alternatives ?

Cheers
    Dom

honourablegeorge

Coil Pikes?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 coil Pikes

messiah
    Free Member

I’m running Maxle Revelation Team U-turn’s at 135mm on my Mmmbop. Not as stiff as the Fox 36 Float’s on my big bike but over 1lb lighter and stiff enough… good enough infact to tempt me to try the Revs on the big bike (on the to-do list).

I stayed clear of air forks until recently but the Floats and Revs have been a *cough* revelation…

karnali
    Free Member

got a set of axle u tun revs 110-140 for sale would be ideal £200 ono
    pics if int http://www.flickr.com/photos/41426293@N07/

cr500dom
    Free Member

got a set of axle u tun revs 110-140 for sale would be ideal £200 ono
    pics if int http://www.flickr.com/photos/41426293@N07/

Flickr is blocked at work but I`ll have a look when I get home thanks ;o)

Burls72
    Free Member

36 floats set to 140mm?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Pikes?

Well, they’ll be a bit lighter, but not much TBH, and having gone the other way from coil Pikes to coil Lyriks, I can tell you the Lyriks are a waaaaay better fork, stiffer and far better damped. You’ll really notice the downgrade IMO

If I was looking for something lighter I’d be (And in fact I did) going for 150mm Revelations. They are as stiff as a Pike as makes no difference and a lot lighter (Not as stiff as a Lyrik as they have thinner stanchions) but far better controlled, even just with the newer dual flow Motion COntrol damping, rather than the fancy Black Box damping… 🙂

reboundsuspension
    Free Member

I have 2007 Fox Float 36 with maxle but almost identical in weight to my Lyric Solo 2007 (selling currently on ebay) I have now bought the 2 step air which is only a quarter of a pound heavier than the other 2, (floats are next on ebay)
    I think the performance of any fork is way more important than the weight and will do far more for your ride than losing half a pound though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think the performance of any fork is way more important than the weight and will do far more for your ride than losing half a pound though.

Agreed, but it is possible to have both if you have the £££££££££££ 🙂

twotonpredator

i have recently bought a pair of coil u-turn lyriks.

i have previously had a pair of 2010 (non dual flow) motion control revelation dual air.

the lyriks are significantly plusher, stiffer and controlled at speed.

i found the revelations great, they were much lighter and plenty plush enough, but they are fairly flexy in comparison and the motion control damping struggles at high speed.

cr500dom
    Free Member

So although Im going to notice a weight difference.... Im also going to notice a difference in quality too ?

🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So although Im going to notice a weight difference…. Im also going to notice a difference in quality too ?

If you downgrade to Pikes, yes, I think you will.

There’s a reason the Lyriks cost more and the Pikes are no longer in production! 🙂

Your biggest problem is that coil Lyriks are one of THE best forks you can possibly lay your hands on…….

GW
    Free Member

20mm reba

sv

+1 for PP, I went from Pikes to Lyriks and the Lyriks are great. PUSHd Pikes might help.

GW
    Free Member

going from a Pike to Reba on the DJ hardtail I ride everything on saved 2lb.. instantly reducing the bikes weight from 30.5lb to 28.5.. doesn’t sound huge, but it def helps make the climbs on all day XC rides more bearable.
    Pikes don’t have great performance in the first place, a standard mo-co Reba’s damping is practically the same and although the air spring is not as nice as coil it can be set-up to perform fairly close (def still feels different tho).
    newer Blackbox Reba’s should be way better than a standard Pike.

Digger90
    Free Member

+1 that coil Lyriks are one of THE best forks.

I’ve had Pikes – coil and air – and Revelations and the Lyrik’s are significantly plusher. They are laterally stiffer – very noticeably so – therefore track better. I constantly worry about the weight, but can’t find anything that would work better.

I bought a pair of Marzocchi 44 RC3Ti’s and hated them. They could never achieve the claimed 150mm travel and were noodly by comparison.

I love the weight savings of air forks but they perform very poorly by comparison with coils.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am after the coil assembly for lyriks to swap for my solo air assembly – could swap with you, win/win. I get coil, you get lighter lyriks?

Just space the air spring down to 130mm or what ever your sweet spot is.

Northwind

High-end Reba or Revelation for sure.

enmac
    Free Member

Bit late to this post, but I am considering the same change. No one has suggested the BOS Deville , almost as light as Revelations, but supposedly more like the Lyriks. Anyone made the change?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies peeps 😀

I will keep the Lyrics for Bigger trips and probably find a set of Rebas or something for the local stuff I think…..

Was kind of hoping there was a good enough air sprung alternative but seems not 🙁

RustyMac

cr500dom

If it was me I’d look at getting Revelations to replace your Lyrics, for a blue pig i think Rebas may be a little short on travel and I think they would be even more flexable than Revelations. Revelations can be spaced down to 130mm easy emaough if that is all you want from them and by having the extra stantion inside the lower it should help make the fork a bit stiffer.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

How about a Sektor?

messiah
    Free Member

FWIW – I went from a Pushed Pike Coil to a 36 Float and the Floats are lighter and work much better… Pike’s are very overated.

If your running a Lyrik at 130/140 on the Blue Pig just now a Revelation at 150 will be about the same length – Lyrik/36/Deville are all about 10mm longer for a given travel than Rev/32/Reba forks. I think a 120mm Reba will be too short – I’ve found my Rev Team U-turn to be best at 135mm on my Mmmbop for all my hardtail needs 😉

I’ve tried a Deville and I liked it but you would be needing a 140mm travel version which is a rare beast. I liked it, but not enough to change the 36 for one.

For the Rev fork I would get the “Black-Box” or equivalent as the lower end versions of the Reba/Rev I have tried have “choked” when the going gets fun (Like a Pike – the damper can be set for big stuff or little stuff… not both – the Push fix improved it but not enough).

On-one had Rev RLT-Ti 150 Maxle forks for £400 recently…

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thats a good price on those Revs !! 😀
    and they have still got them in stock too

OK so if I did that, what are my Lyriks likely to be worth ?
    Clean stantions serviced 3 months ago etc etc ?
    just a ballpark ?

reboundsuspension
    Free Member

I reckon you would clear about £250 for them on ebay, bought some 2 steps recently for that

freeridenick
    Free Member

This is what I did last week.

Sorted

Sektor coil rl(non uturn) 2012 for £186 on CRC !

uturn kit = 60 quid
    Blackbox rebound kit = 70 quid.

uturn 140 Sektors – light-ish 140mm coil fork with 20mm Maxle, U-Turn and decent high speed damping. All sounds good to me for £316

Northwind

cr500dom, I sold my last spare set of Lyriks for £250… They were in good order but had some minor scratches on the stanchions, and the lowers looked like a big metal dog had chewed on them.

Freeridenick- this is really weightweenie nerdy, but I don’t suppose you have a weight for the complete fork? I’ve got basically the same setup as you but with u-turn air, always been curious what it’d feel like with a Sektor coil in. Only Sektors I’ve used were much more basic models so couldn’t really compare.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Cheers NW…..
    Mine dont look like that 😀

I think we could be on to some Rev`s Via On-one shortly…..

Watch this space.

Thanks everyone for all the comments too and Freeridenick…. Nice result, they are sadly now out of stock though 🙁

freeridenick
    Free Member

sorry I should clarify – i have bought them but not in stock until 18 jan. cr500 – you could do the same and also order the parts from LOCO.

NW – will report back when I have them all configured up…

cr500dom
    Free Member

Cheers, something to consider but I’m leaning towards the Revelations at the moment 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

fair enough but those have no travel adjust and a coil feels nicer… 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sektor coil rl(non uturn) 2012 for £186 on CRC !

uturn kit = 60 quid
    Blackbox rebound kit = 70 quid.

uturn 140 Sektors – light-ish 140mm coil fork with 20mm Maxle, U-Turn and decent high speed damping. All sounds good to me for £316

Well, done, very clever! 🙂

I just bought some 15mm, tapered steerer, 150mm Revelations from Merlin for £315, which included a free £110s worth of DT Swiss 240 front hub, sold the poploc for £15, and bought a new Mavic 717 rim and DT spokes.

Forks and front wheel for £360 🙂

This was earlier in the year though, I dropped lucky, that offer has long gone 🙁

OH, I also sold my old 140mm Vanillas for £145 posted when I bought the Revs, which I’d bought in Canada on holiday 2-3 years previously for $250, which was £146-ish at the time, so I only lost about £10 on those (Postage price).

2 sets of ace forks for £310? That’ll do nicely! 😀

cr500dom
    Free Member

freeridenick – fair enough but those have no travel adjust and a coil feels nicer… 😉

I do like the feel of coils, but whats the weight difference likely to be ?

freeridenick
    Free Member

not to sure on that one – but will you really notice?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced the 36 Van RC2’s on my Blue Pig X with 150mm RLT Ti Revs. The Pig was actually quite nice to ride with the 36’s, it even climbed reasonably well despite the high front end, however I wanted to shave some weight so opted for the Revs after speaking to messiah. Due to the lurgy I haven’t been able to get out for a spin but I feel much better today (a couple of medicinal drams last night helped 😀 ) so I’m hoping to try them over the weekend.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Lighter alternative to Coil U-Turn Lyriks ?’ is closed to new replies.