Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • last minute veggie barbecue ideas
  • alfabus
    Free Member

friend is coming over tonight, and the weather would suggest that a barbecue is in order.

unfortunately he is a hippy, but he is a hippy who is bringing me my new bike, so he won’t be berated for it.

Any last minute, minimal preparation, minimal shopping, veggie barbecue ideas?

Thinking of doing peppers stuffed with rice (this will take quite a bit of pre-work), or get some massive mushrooms to do with pesto (but that seems like a bit of a cop-out).

Anyone got any inspired ideas?

Dave

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Corn on the cob. Veggie burgers, veggie kebabs

loum
    Free Member

Veggie kebabs.
    Pepper, onion, mushroom, tomato – on a stick 🙂

loum
    Free Member

If he eats fish,- mackerel

binners

Do him an omelette. He’ll understand

Milkie
    Free Member

BBQ’d Garlic Roasted Cauliflower always goes down well. 😉
    I usually do it in the oven, then whack it on the BBQ for 10-20 minutes , making sure the BBQ cover is on, let it smoke up! Lovely!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Peppers stuffed with fetta, garlic, chilli, onion and shroom. BBQd haloumi is always a winner

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can’t you get some of those burgers made out of foot fungus?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

barbie, right? that says kebab – so tofu cubes, red and green peppers, quartered onion and cherry tomatoes on a skewer and doused with flavoured olive oil and grilled, served in pitta bread with coriander chutney (bunch of fresh coriander, 2 or 3 walnuts, garlic, ginger, fresh chilli (no seeds), lemon juice, salt and pepper all blitzed in a blender to what looks like the right consistency)

.. or lie and tell him they are veggieburgers, honest

kayak23

As a veggie myself, if you really wan’t to be nice to him, get a separate disposable BBQ for veggie stuff only.
    Kind of useless having some lush veggie food if you have to stick it next to all that manky lardy meat.

Most vegeburgers cook ok on BBQs, but the breadcrumb coated ‘vege-quarterpounder’ type ones can have a tendency to fall apart. Skewered vege kebabs are good, all sorts of chunks of veg on a stick.

Check out this BBC Recipe link.

Halloumi and mushroom skewers…. Blummin lush!

Tikka skewers…. Nom nom nom…

Pepper and Feta parcels… Gurt Lush!

Above all, don’t be a meat-bore…There are some amazing foods to be eaten as a veggie at the barbecue if only you can use your meat-addled imagination 🙂

Nice one for considering it.
    Have fun. 🙂

Hmmm, kinda hungry now.. 😕

binners

I’m sorry, but vegetarianism really does look shite

kayak23

If he eats fish,- mackerel

No, he is vegetarian. Fish is not a vegetable, ergo, should you include it in your diet, you are not a vegetarian, period.
    However, PLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE let not get into that argument. Sun is out, have a barbie innit 🙂

richmtb

Pepper and Feta parcels… Gurt Lush!

They look amazing, brilliant side dish for a sirloin!

chojin
    Free Member

I usually provide at least two options for Vegetarians when doing a BBQ.

1) Make do 2) or **** off*

*Thanks Jimmy.

kayak23

I’m sorry, but vegetarianism really does look shite

Yawn…

binners

I’m only expressing an honest opinion. I mean, that stuff looks ok but its hardly……

is it? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yawn…

+1

With an added +1 for predictability 😐

binners

You’re not allowed two +1’s in one post Bravisimo 😛

kayak23

Yeah Binners, 8 tubes of minced pig C*cks, arse rings and ballcocks, real nice…
    Bon Appetit.. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

pig C*cks

Let’s not bring hora and his beautiful penis into this now.

Anyway, for the OP, anything with halloumi is a winner on a barbie.

binners

Blimey! That was even easier than usual…

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Blimey! That was even easier than usual…

Predictable though…

+5

kayak23

😀
    8)

kayak23

Wow, thats a huge vegetable he caught there… 😉

binners

Actually tandori tuna steaks done on the barby are fantastic for the veggie/but not really veggie brigade

😉

crankboy
    Free Member

halloumi is fab,
    mushrooms with pesto sounds like not copping out to me,
    the supermarket quorn burgers especially the piri piri ones are good too,

to be honest any of the above would be nicer for him and indeed your meat eaters than tescos market value pig residue.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Although it’s true that a vegetarians by nature shouldn’t eat any fish (what with fish meat being , well, meat), don’t use the ‘fish isn’t a vegetable’ argument unless you want to look very silly very quickly. Eggs, cheese, apples, etc. also aren’t vegetables! 😉

justatheory
    Free Member
    TuckerUK
    Free Member

Actually tandori tuna steaks done on the barby are fantastic for people who eat meat

FTFY

loum
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    No, he is vegetarian. Fish is not a vegetable, ergo, should you include it in your diet, you are not a vegetarian, period.

Most of my veggie mates eat fish. Especially if there’s fresh mackerel going on a barbie. Just ‘cos you don’t like it , there’s no need to get touchy.
    You don’t know what individuals eat until you ask them, many aren’t as religious as you. And BTW, check the OP before kicking off in future.

kayak23

Although it’s true that a vegetarians by nature shouldn’t eat any fish (what with fish meat being , well, meat), don’t use the ‘fish isn’t a vegetable’ argument unless you want to look very silly very quickly. Eggs, cheese, apples, etc. also aren’t vegetables!

Ummm, not sure I or anyone else in the entire world ever suggested that vegetarians exist exclusively on things botanically classified as vegetables. 😀 I am aware that apples are not vegetables, fruit is the word you’re after(if you don’t want to look very silly very quickly that is) 😉

Eggs and Cheese? Not vegetables, not fruit, not fish, but vegetarian? Maybe…

binners

Hey! Fish have feelings too, man!!! I think. Actually I’ll have to check. I’m not sure they do. Does anyone know? Has someone got a graph or something? Showing a sliding scale of feelings from heffers to mackerel?

kayak23

Most of my veggie mates eat fish. Especially if there’s fresh mackerel going on a barbie. Just ‘cos you don’t like it , there’s no need to get touchy.
    You don’t know what individuals eat until you ask them, many aren’t as religious as you. And BTW, check the OP before kicking off in future.

I’m not ‘kicking off’ at all as it happens. Just trying to establish whether or not fish are vegetables much like say, carrots or turnips. I think not, and so I would add that your mates are not vegetarians, what they are if they eat mostly food of plant origin but also some fish I do not know, but vegetarian they ain’t. Not trying to be funny or owt, but fish does not perform any part of a vege diet, it just doesn’t, its an animal….
    🙂

ElShalimo

Get a camembert, wrap in silver foil and place on BBQ as it cools down
    leave 15mins
    dip your crusty bread in – heaven

loum
    Free Member

Ummm, not sure I or anyone else in the entire world ever suggested that vegetarians exist exclusively on things botanically classified as vegetables.

Now you’re not sure what you wrote…

… is not a vegetable, ergo, should you include it in your diet, you are not a vegetarian, period.

kayak23

We can all cut and edit dude. What I said was, FISH is not a vegetable, etc. etc….

My point is that the word vegetarian is not literal, it does not mean exclusively vegetables, of course not. However, it does generally mean food that isn’t made out of animals which must die to be eaten. I’m sure you know that already really.

Anyway, good luck with the barbie OP.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ummm, not sure I or anyone else in the entire world ever suggested that vegetarians exist exclusively on things botanically classified as vegetables.

They imply it by there comments regarding fish. Or it can be understandably inferred.

emsz
    Free Member

Thanks bigbutslimmerbloke, that’s an ace recipe, I’m doing those at the weekend!!

loum
    Free Member

You claimed to be just trying to establish whether or not fish are vegetables .
    Why? No-one said it was. Nonsensical bickering.
    Your point was to start a pedantic argument and criticise others’ suggestions, and their friends. Does that make you feel vegetabley superior?
    Like I said, if you don’t like it, don’t eat it. You seem to want to define vegetarian, and vegetables, by what you want to eat.
    Other options exist.

BigJohn

Blanch some asparagus then stick it on the grill for a few minutes.

Wonderful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘last minute veggie barbecue ideas’ is closed to new replies.