Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Knackered Freeehub – help needed
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I posted last week that my rear hub was not engaging and was helpfully advised by folks here that I needed a new freehub, last night I took the on-one/planetX hub apart and managed to get most of it to pieces, but didn't get what I was expecting. The freehub body came off with the pawls attached and seems to be in perfect condition. The problem is that the ring with teeth on it that is left inside the hub is able to spin around. There were various bits of swarf and ground metal in there with it as well.
    Is this part of the freehub that I should be able to get out or is it inetrgal to the hub meaning that the whole thing has had it?
    I hope this makes some sort of sense…

nbt

the engagement ring is part of the hub. New hub time, the Dog Hub is the same as the DMR revolver

Zone
    Free Member

Hub shell is knackered… obvious I know 🙄 ring them or where you got the hub from if less than a year.

basically like a lot of hubs like this that part is bonded in or press in on locators to reduce the difficulty of machining drive teeth into a hub shell 😯

Zone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oddjob
    Free Member

I'm not very tempted to replace the hub when a new wheelset can be had for £125. At the same time, I am not very tempted to buy another set of wheels when the hub gives up after approx 30 rides.
    29er XT wheelset on CRC… you will be mine just as soon as I have some money 🙁

oddjob
    Free Member

At least I didn't buy a new freehub body before finding out that it's had it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Have you asked Planet-X ? Surely they'll replace it if it failed so quickly ?

oddjob
    Free Member

I bought it in March 2008 so I wouldn't expect them to, I just know that I haven't ridden them that much as I have been on the road most of the time.
    I have been unluky with their wheels shall we say so I think I'll look for something else. I suppose you get what you pay for and in my case I think £125 for the wheels, tyres and tubes was a good buy at the time and I think I'll just have to accept that for £125, that is what you get. No hard feelings, they were cheap and cheerful as it appears a lot of their stuff is…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Knackered Freeehub – help needed’ is closed to new replies.