Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • kilimanjaro – celebs
  • cutsngrazes
    Free Member

did they get helicoptered off?
    blouses!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

thought it was an advert for the take that back catalogue….

pacemaker
    Free Member

Nope they walked back down..
    Fair play to them i say.

stugus
    Free Member

did you a little spoon fed imho but yeah, all for a good cause!

smorgie
    Free Member

Good on them for doing it…….. but I did notice on the last climb it was supposed to be -20C and 75MPH winds according to the captions at the bottom of the screen………….I just don’t believe that looking at the footage(Unless of course it was blowing them up hill.)

suthy
    Free Member

Its the porters I have respect for, that must carry those massive bags up and down every week.

Who sponsors them?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

can helicopters fly that high? thought they were restricted on max altitued by the air density.

Was entertaining to watch though, impressed that Moyles made it up. He seemed the least affected by the altitude. Backs up my beer and pies diet 🙂

spooky_b329

Who sponsors them?

They get paid! And tipped afterwards. Something like 120 people in all including the porters went up the mountain, BT funded the trip.

Anyone know what the music was whilst they were scaling the vertical cliff bit?

aracer
    Free Member

can helicopters fly that high?

Yes – far higher. They’ve landed one on the summit of Everest – though that’s not a normal heli. Not sure if a standard one would make it, but I don’t suppose you need something particularly special.

What vertical cliff bit, spooky? I was watching as they talked about it, but they seemed not to have filmed that bit.

suthy
    Free Member

A specially equiped Squirrel chopper landed on the summmit of Everest (About 29,000ft) – so yes, some can.

Mainly dependant on power though, thiner air for the blades to work efficently and less oxygen for the engine to work efficently.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

yep will impressed with moyles, fair play to them all really. Looks like they were sponsored by Berghaus and TNF !!!

spooky_b329

What vertical cliff bit, spooky?

The Baranco Wall, 300m vertical climb. Guide told them to put their poles away as they need their hands, at the top it was misty and Moyles complained there was no view.

Music sort of eerie, 4 chords (?) each higher than before, then repeating.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, you mean the grade 1 scramble.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

There’ll have been plenty watched that tonight so they could have slated them.
    I think those people will be quite disappointed as it looks like they all did their bit. Good on them I say. I gave them my £1 and well worth it in my book.

tails
    Free Member

Oh, you mean the grade 1 scramble.

listen to yourself like your Ranulph Fiennes.

aracer
    Free Member

like your Ranulph Fiennes.

Why, is he a mountaineer?

Not slating them, just the TV production who insist in calling what was really only a grade 1 scramble (anything more and they’d have been roping that lot) a vertical cliff.

scuttler

Got to agree about the 75mph winds bit – complete tosh. Anyone stuck their hand/head out the car window on the motorway lately? Sure it might have been uncomfortably windy but not 75mph.

Fair play to them though.

tails
    Free Member

Not slating them, just the TV production who insist in calling what was really only a grade 1 scramble (anything more and they’d have been roping that lot) a vertical cliff.

fair enough it just appears that a bunch of celebs are using their fame to raise ££££ for some others good, but thats still not good enough for STW members.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of moyles but haven’t they raised £1.4 million. 😯

They’re a load of cosseted celebs so all way out of their comfort zones. I’m sure all the rufty tufty types on here would have done it on their own in a couple of days whilst carrying all their own gear and a downhill bike so they style it up on the way down

Good on the celebs I say.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of moyles but haven’t they raised £1.4 million

They could have doubled it if they’d had a sponsored “Leave the Fat **** at the Top” appeal.

brant
    Free Member

I tried to watch it but I couldn’t cope with the awful moaning and bleating from Fearne “Crikey, it’s amazing what make up does for a woman” Cotton.

RepacK
    Free Member

Its not a particularly hard route (thats why it was chosen) but fair play to them for doing it. Its not easy, in fact even a short period at anything over 15000ft can become uncomfortable…however the big fuss about them being “heroes” is a load of tosh – Lcp Johnson Beharry hes a real hero.

There isnt anyone on this forum who couldnt get their arse up Kili with a bit of application.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’d had quite enough of “Gary’s back” after 20 minutes.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Good effort by them. Hyped the danger as it’s for TV. Probably is the hardest thing they will ever do.

Wonder how much they’d raise in a sponsored “i’m not doing that again”.

Respect to the poor porter that had to carry the portaloos and they should have made Moyles carry his own radio kit.

pjt201
    Free Member

to all the naysayers who say it wasn’t -20 and 75mph winds, i have inside information that it was. i know one of the production team.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Well done to all of them for raising the money but it is not really a difficult feat.

I first did it when I was 12 and up the Great Western Breach Ice Fall walking in from Kenya. Done it 3 times since only once on the tourist route which took 3 days up and down carrying all our own gear, and I am not a ‘Mountaineer’!

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Next year I am carrying my bike up and riding down 😀

scruff
    Free Member

I did it when I was 2 years old using hot tar as shoes whilst carrying a herd of local wilderbeast and fended off lion attacks using a ballon on a stick.

Van Outen looks ropey as.

willard

Fearne Cotton went? My least-like Radio 1 DJ… It’s a close thing between her and Moyles, so a lot of good could have been done by leaving them both at the summit.

I briefly saw the start where they said the “marathon runner Ronan” was “struggling” in the high altitude test chamber, whereas fat-**** Moyles seemed to be ok.

Soup
    Free Member

Fair play to them I say. They’ve raised more money than anyone on here.

Yes they’re celebs, yes they get pampered, yes they moaned, yes it’s all edited and made to look harder than it is, but at the end of the day it’s tv, they’ve raised loads of cash and they’ve been to the top of Kilimanjaro and the majority of us on here haven’t, so hats off to them all.

Cue STWer ‘I’ve actually done it twice and it only took me 2 days and all I had was a Mars bar and my camelbak, etc etc etc.’

Smee
    Free Member

No chance there were 75mph winds, they would have been getting blown off their feet.

Lactic
    Free Member

I’m disappointed in the lack of STW curmudgeon-yness. I don’t understand the logic of watching vapid “celebrities” doing something fun for charidee whilst entreating lowly mortals back home to part with their money. I bet most of us would love an opportunity to climb Kilimanjaro, hardly picking unpleasant tasks for themselves are they? Next year it’s going to be a lying on the beach in Hawaii marathon with Dale Winton.
    I would sponsor Moyles to do a real job for a week, or just to shut up for that matter, but not to go on a walking holiday.

trailmonkey

If any of the funds raised tonight are earmarked to feed the malnourished, I hope that Cheryl Cole and Fern Cotton are the first in the queue.
    Eat, you dozy mares.

jon1973
    Free Member

At least it’s sponsorship for something that is at least challenging and requires a bit of commitment and effort. My wife was asked by her colleague if she would sponsor her to do a five mile walk for charity!!! Five miles?? that’s a lunchtime stroll for me.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

can helicopters fly that high?

Thats the top of Everest that is. Reached with a production helicopter (AS350).

A not quite as successful helicopter at base camp.

gonefishin
    Free Member

“I bet most of us would love an opportunity to climb Kilimanjaro, hardly picking unpleasant tasks for themselves are they?”

Kilimanjaro is over 5500m above sea level. Have you ever been at this sort of altitute? The highest I’ve ever been is 1000m lower than this and that was incredibly hard work and certainly nothing like lying on a beach in Hawaii.

I think I read that one of them was helicoptered off but this was due to altitude sickness

AndyP
    Free Member

heroes one and all. sniff. wipes tear from eye. God bless ’em.

jesus, they’ll show any old sh1t on the telly these days.

Lactic
    Free Member

No gonefishin, I haven’t been to that sort of altitude, that’s rather my point. I don’t underestimate the challenges of altitude but a trip climbing Kili would still be a dream holiday for many of us outdoorsy types, as would Hawaii for those less energetic. Individual altitude tolerance by the way is pretty hard to predict and poorly related to cardiovascular fitness.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I didn’t watch it but I’m with Repack I think. I haven’t done it but I’ve no doubt it ain’t easy, so hats off to them for getting up and down. But I think these things are cheapened by efforts to make it sound harder than it is. It’s not a climb, it’s a walk. There aren’t any technical climbing bits on it. All credit to them for what they’ve done, but I’m not inclined to extend that credit to things they haven’t done, like climbing 300m vertical faces.

scruff
    Free Member

Im dead fit but found it hard to smoke a fag without wheezing on the Klein Matterhorn, its only about 3400m.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘kilimanjaro – celebs’ is closed to new replies.