Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • kids SPDs, any suggestions?
  • banginon

I’ve a group of 6 or 7 under tens in my sproggs group who are riding the red route at Drumlanrig (a different bit every Monday evening session).

Any suggestions for mini SPD compatible shoes? (size 1 or smaller even)

Cheers all..

geoffj

I thought the wisdom was against young kids using SPDs. Can’t remember why though.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

very much doubt it.

Safety aspect not withstanding – clipless pedals are surely classed as a ‘performance’ product – and marketing at kids makes no sense.

I don’t know how healthy SPDs would be for growing legs/knees either! 😐

sambob
    Free Member

Flats would be better for technique etc. But if you must, crankbrothers for floatyness.

cinnamon_girl

For an easy life, ie no moaning from parents, flats all the way. Spd’s are not essential for riding and I certainly wouldn’t have wanted my kids to have used them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

SPDs not good for growing kids IIRC.
    Flats all the way!

banginon

LOL at the ,performance’ product comment!!

Now I understand why parents make their kids ride 42lb, heavy steel full suspension pogo sticks with bendy plastic brakes.

It’s all cos we can’t give the kids anything to improve ‘performance’.

Fair comment about flats etc; most of these wee guys are riding with significantly better technique than the average visitor to Drum by the way.

Out of interest what age would the ST massive be comfortable with kids using SPDs. My eldest is 12 I’d have no problem with her using them so long as she could demonstrate she could click out easily.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

LOL at the ,performance’ product comment!!

Why? I’m talking generally

I’m not talking about carbon-chainrings here – but how many ‘cyclists’ use SPDs – in the grander scheme of things? – 5% ?

SPDs are a way to extract that extra 10% of “performance” out of oneself – I really don’t see a big market for Kids under 10 with that criteria.

And can I ask – are the kids asking for SPDs – or are you trying to encourage them to use them? At best putting kids on SPDs is a strange idea, at worst it’s recklessness – a bad accident waiting to happen IMO

banginon

kids asking?

All these guys are racing most weekends (you have no idea how competitive they are).

SPDs do far more than ‘the extra 10%’ of which you speak. There’s a huge improvement in control when rattling over harsh and bumpy trails and on steep, slippery climbs. Have you ridden up here?

Significantly more than 5% riding in SPDs round here. Not sure why you’d be more likely to have an accident riding in SPDs, I don’t.

I ride with the tension wound a fair way out so very easy to get in and out of my pedals.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘kids SPDs, any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.