Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 662 total)
  • Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

and to encourage his many anti-semitic followers

#Jambyplanet

There would be no attacks on Gaza if they had elected a different government 10 years ago

You think Israel can tell them who to elect under the threat of the gun? At least you accept they are attacking gaza and not defending themselves so we have some progress there

Baby steps and all that

DrJ

Chief Rabi again commented over the weekend on anti-semitism and in particular how it’s been ignored by Universities for far too many years.

Too funny – he complained about “bashing” of Jews on UK campuses. For your reference, this is what “student bashing” looks like in Gaza:

molgrips
    Free Member

Livingstone’s statement was indeed deliberately provocative and done so with the deliberate intention to provoke controversy and to encourage his many anti-semitic followers

Wow. Are you judging everyone by your own standards?

clodhopper
    Free Member

“clod responding to a debate in one thing offering your advice about what anyone else should do is something rather different, hence my reply. “

I was actually trying to be helpful. Obviously I’ve failed. 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

@clod – ok perhaps I misread your intentions, if so i apologise

Labour’s independent inquiry into anti-semitism doesn’t look so independent. Shami has joined the Labour party and one of her team has already published his thoughts that accusations of anti-Semitism in the Labour party are baseless ! Oh and they won’t be asking Ken Livingstone for evidence. Sleep it under the carpet and kick it into the long grass.

Slightly better news is that at least Labour will publish tomorrow their report into Oxford University. Conveniently long after the May elections

Guardian link

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Conveniently long after the May elections”

Well, I think we’ve pretty much established that the whole anti-Semitism thing was brought up just in time to inflict maximum damage to Corbyn and Labour, and yes, it has had some effect. But the unintended side effect was that the whole ‘is anti-Israel/Zionism actually anti-Semitism’ debate was sparked up again, and many very intelligent commentators added their tuppence, and some not so intelligent ones spouted some opinions, and social media became flooded with ‘have you seen what Israel are doing now?!’ stuff. And many people became even more polarised. And divisions deepened. And nothing changed for the better.

Meanwhile, the media has pretty much ignored the racist Tory smear campaign against Sadiq Khan, the Housing and Planning Bill, possible electoral fraud by the tories, the junior doctors’ battle with Jeremy Hunt, the academies u-turn, and a whole host of other stuff we should all really be concentrating on a lot more than some fringe politician not actually being anti-Semitic.

Have we done the ‘Tory MP in Nazi stag do’ yet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2072639/Tory-MP-Aiden-Burley-Nazi-stag-night-French-ski-resort.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

Labour’s independent inquiry into anti-semitism doesn’t look so independent is not the witch hunt I demand

FTFY

The guardian has been doing this campaign longer than you and hate corbyn just as much I bet its not open BTL to allow its readers to comment.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think we’ve pretty much established that the whole anti-Semitism thing was brought up just in time to inflict maximum damage to Corbyn and Labour…

…Meanwhile, the media has pretty much ignored the racist Tory smear campaign against Sadiq Khan, the Housing and Planning Bill, possible electoral fraud by the tories, the junior doctors’ battle with Jeremy Hunt, the academies u-turn, and a whole host of other stuff we s

I know, just look at how the bastard tories wheeled out Ken and got him to keep, constantly, mentioning Hitler in every interview, just to take the attention away from themselves.

Just another creeping tentacle in the worldwide Jewish conspiracy

mefty
    Free Member

You mean the one that stood down at the last election.

footflaps

Yes and it was all Jeremy Corbyn’s fault.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we done the Nazi Chancellor yet?

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Just another creeping tentacle in the worldwide Jewish conspiracy”

Really? Do you think that?

I thought it was more about just smearing Corbyn and Labour with anything possible. In this case, Ken handily provided them with an ‘anti-Semitism’ twig. Which they then thrashed around wildly, causing a few scratches, but I doubt any serious injury.

The media could have course chosen from any number of moderate voices, but then, that wouldn’t have made such juicy headlines.

One good thing to have come from this fiasco, is that many people are now a bit more aware of just how low pro-Israel/Zionist will stoop to attempt to justify the actions of the Israeli government and military. So it seems the hasbara campaign has backfired somewhat. Give it a few weeks, Labour will publish their report, make a public show of ‘dealing with anti-Semitism’, and people will look for more twigs. The only people who have really suffered, is the Labour right. I’d imagine they are desperately trying to think how they can preserve their careers and future ‘consultancy’ opportunities.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Before we descend into a ‘dressing up as a Nazi’ top trumps, the point is that if enough weight is thrown behind an allegation, it can can cause a lot of damage, even if untrue. Had the mainstream media hounded Boris Johnson for his remarks about Obama’s racial heritage, in the same manner they went after Ken/Corbyn/Labour, then we’d have seen the former mayor under fire and possibly hounded out of office. But it’s clear this media chooses it’s targets according to the agenda set by those who pull the strings. This is to be expected when media outlets are owned and run by private groups/individuals, but int he case of the bBC, it’s simply unacceptable. We need a fairer and more balanced media, as an aid to proper democracy, and we’re not getting that. Instead, we’re being bombarded with diversionary bollocks to distract us from what is really important (I’m not saying anti-Semitism isn’t important, far from it, just that the amount of comment and coverage is grossly disproportionate). I don’t want to live in a society where Richard Desmond, Paul Dacre, Rupert Murdoch etc are free to undermine democracy and equality. We need an impartial BBC to act as a foil to this propaganda, and we’re being let down.

mefty
    Free Member

THe original story would have died if Ken hadn’t reignited it – hence the existence of this thread. The problem isn’t the media, and certainly not the BBC.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Had the mainstream media hounded Boris Johnson for his remarks about Obama’s racial heritage,

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2009/mar/04/obama-irish-brown-special

Fenton!

clodhopper
    Free Member

“The problem isn’t the media, and certainly not the BBC.”

Wow. Do you believe that?

This man thinks differently:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/12/bbc-bias-labour-sir-michael-lyons

Junkyard
    Free Member

it’s clear this media chooses it’s targets according to the agenda set by those who pull the strings.

there is some truth in this though the usual RW suspects will absolutely deny the obvious bias that only true blue specs prevents one seeing.
    It can off course be overstated but at the time of anti semitism we have

The PM making factually untrue claims about a Muslim cleric supporting ISIS – to tarnish Sadiq Khan- under the privledge of the House of Commons

The “dog whistle” campaign against A Muslim that even senior tories criticised

The Tory party being taken to court over both electoral irregularities and their refusal to release the information

A Senior tory suspended for anti semitism

Still none of this gets the coverage of the “deeply embedded” problems in labour

Look who brought this issue back up again
    Corby hating Guardian and then Corby Hating Jamby

jambalaya
    Free Member

Junky, I am not interested in a witch hunt. Labour made this worse for themselves by not publishing or indeed even commenting on the first investigation into the Oxford University allegations which where made by the head of the Oxford University Student Labour Society. They kicked that into the long grass and commissioned a second equity, which they then declined to publish commissioning a third enquiry. All of that smells very very dodgy to me.

As for the Conservatives or indeed any other organisation if there is a case to answer let’s look into it (JY read @clod’s link it’s not clear at all what may or may not have been said).

@clod I can say I recall what was published back in 2009 about Ed Balls Education initiatives. I have not seen coverage of the Conservative allegation you mention but I would not the the allegations where made by Labour MP Naz Shah and as the speech where not given in English it seems there is some disagreement about exactly what was said.

Let us see what the Oxford University report says, also lets wait and see whether its the original report or whether it has been re-worked. I’d also be interested to know what justification is given as to why it wasn’t published months ago

mefty
    Free Member

Wow. Do you believe that?

Yes. Permanent outrage sells papers which is the primary focus of a newspaper. I have some sympathy with Lyons’s view but I think that is more a function of a bias of conventional wisdom that elections are won in the centre ground, not bias against him per se, the right have many of the same issues.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not interested in a witch hunt.

Its obvious that you will use anything as a method to beat corbyn and the labour party. This Is all this is your hatred of Corbyn.

At least you have not been ageist about him for a while so small blessings and all that.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

They kicked that into the long grass and commissioned a second equity, which they then declined to publish commissioning a third enquiry. All of that smells very very dodgy to me.

I’m curious whether you believe this is true tbh. I suppose it’s possible.

The original enquiry was a toothless internal affair run by Labour Students, which was folded into Baroness Royall’s investigation. Of course, if the Party hadn’t escalated matters and had left it in the hands of the student organisation, you’d be squealing about how they’re “not taking it seriously” but when they do raise it to a higher level it’s been “kicked into the long grass”. TBH I also wonder if you know what that metaphor means.

That second investigation has just completed. I understand it’s going to be released in the next few days, though I fully understand your dissatisfaction that they failed to release their findings before they existed. Such strict observance of the linear nature of time is, as you say, dodgy.

DrJ

“Alice laughed: “There’s no use trying,” she said; “one can’t believe impossible things.”
    “I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said Jamba. “When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

Stoner
    Free Member

The NEC, as one might expect, have refused to publish Baroness Royall’s report. Only releasing recommendations, rather than findings.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/144505485689/baroness-royall-inquiry

Junkyard
    Free Member

WHat another Tory disgruntled with the labour party…I am stunned by this revelation

Her full findings will be revealed as part of the report which will follow the inquiry being led by Shami Chakrabarti.

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/158303/baroness-royall-finds-oxford-university-labour-club-not-institutionally-antisemi

IMagine a tory supporter delivering half truths about the Labour party
    …..again I am stunned that it took me 30 seconds of googling and was in the top hit from the Jewish Chronicle…..Jesus you tories are obsessed , desperate and struggle with full disclosure…..oh the irony.

I rather enjoyed watching golden haired Heselinte abusing Goldened haired Boris myself…any views Tory boys? 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Stoner thnaks for that link, I had been checking all day for the publication of report. Sadly we have not had the publication. From Junky’s link (thanks also for posting)

Jeremy Newmark, chair of the Jewish Labour Movement, said after the report’s publication that he had met Baroness Royall and “I share her frustration that the full content of her report was suppressed by the NEC”.

Labour MP John Mann, chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group Against Antisemitism, said: “For those who thought there wasn’t an antisemitism issue in the Labour Party, this report shows there definitely is.”

What is clear is that the report, as much as we have seen, has been rewritten since its original submission as it refers to events which post date it. There are two explanations for this, that the Labour executive recognise the extent and seriousness of the prblem and the need to extend the scope of the investigation. Or secondly that what was uncovered is highly damaging and need to be subverted or at least watered down.

The Guardian commentary is all about whether the recommendation that those found guilty of anti-semitism should not receive a life ban and its relevance to Livingstone. I actually think that is a discussion for another time. What was important now was to learn whether anti-semitism at the OULC was confirmed and in which instances and who was responsible.

Junky I read this and your post a a while ago, I decided it was best not to comment. Do you think in light of the seriousness of this your last sentence in particular and a “smiley” where appropriate ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think the issue between Tarzan and Bo jo was that serious

Forgive me for not giving it enough gravitas and not taking it seriously

jambalaya
    Free Member

Junky accepted and appreciated. Boris has been an idiot (other stronger words possible)

The Chilcot report will be published on July 6th I wonder when Shamri’s report will be published burried ?

DrJ

There are two explanations for this, that the Labour executive recognise the extent and seriousness of the prblem and the need to extend the scope of the investigation. Or secondly that what was uncovered is highly damaging and need to be subverted or at least watered down.

Or that since a new report is on the way they want to issue one definitive one.

Still, it makes you think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we can both be confident it wont satisfy you

Junkyard
    Free Member

DrJ

There are two explanations for this, that the Labour executive recognise the extent and seriousness of the prblem and the need to extend the scope of the investigation. Or secondly that what was uncovered is highly damaging and need to be subverted or at least watered down.

Or, indeed, none of the above
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/18/labour-antisemitism-party-jewish-chakrabarti

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrJ that piece from Royal doesn’t say anything. I mean to say Labour isn’t institutionally anti-semitic is a pretty obvious statement, hardly needed an inquiry for that. My accusation is that the problem with anti-semitism is endemic in the Labour Party. It is not that Jews don’t “always” feel welcome in the Labour Party, that’s double-speak as the issue is far more serious than that.

Still, it makes you think.

A clear – to me – attempt to ridicule and thus trivialise this very serious issue. Genuinely depressing. Really extremely depressing.

A reporting into OULB published in a timely basis which discussed the various allegations and whether they where found true or nor with the names of any individuals found guilty of such behaviour followed by action (or not) from the Labour Party as appropriate. That would have been sufficient. Depending on the results of that a further more broad reaching investigation may have been conducted.

As I asked before, with Chilcot being published on July 6th I wonder when Shamri’s report will see the light of day ? If that’s at a time when the press isn’t full of Chilcot speculation or picking over the contents I’ll hold my hand up. I remain highly sceptical and as above very very depressed about the state of affairs.

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    DrJ that piece from Royal doesn’t say anything that I want it to

My accusation is that the problem with anti-semitism is endemic in the Labour Party. It is not that Jews don’t “always” feel welcome in the Labour Party, that’s double-speak as the issue is far more serious than that.

How is it double speak?

jambalaya
    Free Member

“don’t always” can mean they feel welcome 1% of the time or 99% of the the time

I replied as I wanted you to know I’d read your post as a courtesy but I am genuinely too depressed about this situation to continue posting

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

I replied as I wanted you to know I’d read your post as a courtesy but I am genuinely too depressed about this situation to continue posting

Poor lamb, you must feel awful that it failed to give the results you expected. What a strange life, to be depressed because your glorious dream of antisemitism has been dashed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Poor lamb

More snide remarks. Northward you and this attitude are part of the problem.

Read John Mann’s comments again, they know they problem exists, they know it’s serious. They are covering it up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My accusation is that the problem with anti-semitism is endemic in the Labour Party.

That accusation is not supported by the facts and is entirely motivated by your own bias. Its false one can find just as many – ie barely any- in the Tory party…I am sure you will be giving them the same concern as you do this..you know for balance.

A clear – to me – attempt to ridicule and thus trivialise this very serious issue. Genuinely depressing. Really extremely depressing.

Yes if only everyone would join in your barrel scraping RW driven lefty hating jew bashing corby despising witch hunt 🙄

Just like zac did in the london election its a crude and blatant dog whistle campaign

Oh and he mocked you there nothing else

I am not responding to your fantasies anymore as the problem is your perception of reality not reality

EDIT:

you and this attitude are part of the problem

What about folk who say Islam is the greatest threat we face and insist, factually incorrectly, that Muslims dont need to obey the law?
    Are they part of the problem ?

That is a shameful thing to say about a valued forum member like NW – like anyone thinks he is a racist or part of the problem- and is a disgusting smear; you should be ashamed of yourself.

kimbers

I think the whole kipper movement has emboldened racists and bigots in this country

Boris or Ken using lazy Nazis comparisons not really racist but a symptom of the underlying issues

The PM was happy to describe migrants as a swarm, nicely dehumanising them, the brexit movement seems to be about scapegoating immigrants and eurocrats etc

Zac Goldsmith and Sir Linton Crosby appeared to revel in using racist smears against Saqiq Kahn

There seems to be a racism problem at Oxford uni, that for some reason they don’t want to crack down on, when so many of our politicians are products of the Oxford privileged few it’s no wonder that politics is so rotten, even the PM bemoaned the fact that Oxford had only 57 black students in its last intake

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

More snide remarks. Northward you and this attitude are part of the problem.

I don’t think you know what snide means. Snide is indirect and sneaky, my post was neither.

I remain, as ever, delighted to be part of your problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 662 total)

The topic ‘Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.’ is closed to new replies.