Viewing 22 posts - 641 through 662 (of 662 total)
  • Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

“For balance, you could also replace with immigration, Islam, the EU or ‘black youth’ – yet look what happens whenever anyone tries to discuss any of those issues.”

You couldn’t, but I can see why you tried.

You see; multiculturalism, immigration, Islam, the EU or ‘black youth’ aren’t a belligerent racist state which uses overwhelming military might, and actions condemned under international law, to oppress an indigenous population in their own homeland. So that’s why you can’t make the comparison/substitution.

bainbrge

Not many other minorities are denied the right to define what they believe is discriminatory or racist towards them. Lots of people seem to think they can tell a Jew what is, or rather isn’t, anti-Semitic.

ninfan
    Free Member

a belligerent racist state which uses overwhelming military might, and actions condemned under international law, to oppress an indigenous population in their own homeland.

Australia?

Northwind

bainbrge – Member

Not many other minorities are denied the right to define what they believe is discriminatory or racist towards them.

I think if Chinese people tried to redefine criticism of the state of China as racist towards Chinese people, it’d be laughed out. TBF the strange thing is that it’s given any credence at all.

As a Scottish person and therefore a minority, I feel that declaring me an anti-semite because I criticise the state of Israel is discriminatory towards Scots. This makes no sense, but I don’t care because apparently it is my right to define what I believe is discriminatory towards me.

RustySpanner

Anyone has the right to say that they feel that they are the victim of prejudice.

The rest of us have the right examine the evidence and decide whether we believe that to be true or not.

Just because someone accuses someone else of prejudice does not automatically make that accusation true.

duckman

. bainbrge – Member

Not many other minorities are denied the right to define what they believe is discriminatory or racist towards them. Lots of people seem to think they can tell a Jew what is, or rather isn’t, anti-Semitic.
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post Welcome back to the thread THM.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I watched the first 90 minutes of the commitee evidence, most of the view points I have posted here over the last year are are eloquently covered and endorsed. Junky, Northwind, Clod etc I suggest you do the same then come back to me, your points/queries and misundertsandings are cleared up there. Don’t bother with Google Junky till you’ve got the exact definition to search for, it’s referred to many times. Also Northwind you need to watch to understand whether what you say falls under that definition or not. I didn’t accuse you of being anti-semetic I gave the European definition plus additional thoughts from the committee Q&A

I mentioned BDS as its a perfect example of how people are sucked into anti-semitism without really being aware of it. Whether its an attempt to stop a Jewish performer at a Spanish music festival (ruked illegal by Spanish government) or a broader attempt to pursude divestment of legitimate investments which support all Israelis

As for widespread anti-semitism within Labour, that was well covered at the Committee. Whether Chakrabati delivers a real investigation and transparent report we shall see, I’m sceptical and so is the Board of Deputies of British Jews. Certainly Baroness Royal was very dissapointed with the Labour NEC handling of her report into OULC which frankly is the tip of a very large iceberg. I do find the decison to publish around the exact same time as Chilcot highly highly suspicious.

Ninfan makes a good point above and it was made at the Committee, just take a remark and replace Jew or Zionist with say “Black” and see how it sounds.

Clod if you take that attitude (homeland, oppression) etc you must apply it equally to all states, in particular within the Middle East, and then ensure you are critising all equally, you are taking action against all equally. Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria ejected 850,000 Jews in the 50’s and 60’s thats actaully more than the 750,000 Palestinians who where forced to move in the creation of Israel by the League of Nations. Today there are no Jewish refugees but there are 4 million Palestinians claiming such status.

By the way what I found depressing was STWers responce and reaction to such a serious problem.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just to be clear, I want a two state solution but until the Palestinian’s make some different choices its going to get further and further away just as it has been the last 20 years.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

I didn’t accuse you of being anti-semetic

jambalaya – Member

Anti Israel sentiment including BDS is absolutely anti-semitic

This is you accusing me, and many other people, of anti-semitism, and stating that our anti-Israel sentiment is based on hatred of Jews. You do not get to do that then just walk away from it and pretend it didn’t happen.

jambalaya – Member

I gave the European definition

No, you avoided giving the European working definition, which frankly I take as an admission that you knew it is not what you claim it to be. I gave the European working definition, to prove you wrong. And now you are lying about this too, not just the outcome but the actual conversation. This is literally all on this same page.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPCH4rZU-3Q[/video]

I’d like to hear one of two things from you. Either a retraction and an apology, and an admission that conflating anti-semitism and anti-Israel sentiment is fundamentally wrong. Or bloody stand by it, and at least have the courage of your convictions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder of he has any tbh and if he as not become ninfanesque and he will just say anything to get a raection/response/bite.

Don’t bother with Google Junky till you’ve got the exact definition to search for, it’s referred to many times

Delighted to see the “real definition” pop it up will you and we can see how accurate you were and how wrong NW and i were when we actually completely and accurately referenced it with links whilst you gave nothing at all for it and just misdescribed it and then repeated the falsehood

No one can be this daft no one.

Ninfan makes a good point above and it was made at the Committee, just take a remark and replace Jew or Zionist with say “Black” and see how it sounds.

How about i say Jews are the greatest threat to our way of life and they dont need to obey the law*
    As you said this about muslims so it cannot be racist for you are not a racist. Can I say that and you wont call me a racist ? You see racism everywhere except in yourself and you know what you would be doing if Ken had said that dont you. You are the only one here to have expressed questionable racist views. You never even mention this point – you know its indefensible.

* of course I dont think that I am not a racist

wwaswas

It’s ok, Ken’s going on Russian TV with George to sort it all out!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Northwind I sent (tired to) you an apology. If you didn’t get it I will repost that part of my email here, as I said the rest of it was confidential and sent to you on trust

Today Labour released their anti-semitism report. Quiet news day ? Coverage pretty much zero. Burying the news, cover up or co-incidence ? We can all make our minds up if and when we see it.

Corbyn said Jews where no more responsible for Israel than Muslims where for IS thus directly comparing Israel to IS something the anti-semitic people who support and follow him will be absolutely delighted with. Far from cooling the temperature he has raised it.

Nothing on the Labour Jewish Movement Website as yet

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jewish labour MP left the press conference in tears after being verbally attacked by a member of Momentum – so what have I been saying ?

Independent online

Why on earth wouod you attack a Labour MP at such an event in full view of the press ?

jambalaya
    Free Member
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quote A

“It’s completely over the top but it’s not antisemitism. Let’s remember when Hitler won his election in 1932, his policy then was that Jews should be moved to Israel. He was supporting Zionism – this before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews.

Versus

Quote B

“Our Jewish friends are no more responsible for the actions of Israel or the Netanyahu government than our Muslim friends are for those various self-styled Islamic States or organisations.”

So which is worse?

1. Quote A
    2. Quote B
    3. Neither – both anti-semitic
    4. Neither – neither are anti-semitic

You decide….

5thElefant
    Free Member

So which is worse?

1. Quote A
    2. Quote B
    3. The same – both anti-semitic
    4. Neither – neither are anti-semitic

2 and/or 4. Given the venue Corbyn deserves the award for being the least PC.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I know I’m not alone in applauding Corbyn for ‘comparing’ the Israeli government/state to IS; both are full of xenophobic fascist religious extremists, who call for the extermination of those who do not share their views. Fact. I’m glad Corbyn has once again drawn attention to the vile apartheid state of Israel, and shifted focus onto the actions of it’s government and military. Anti-Semitism? I have many Jewish friends who actively support Corbyn, and are vehemently opposed to the Israeli regime, and in fact would go even further than Corbyn in condemning the regime.

Racist antiArab demonstration in Tel Aviv:

clodhopper
    Free Member

Why isn’t this fascist terrorist organisation given any attention in the UK media?

http://www.timesofisrael.com/topic/lehava/

5thElefant
    Free Member

I know I’m not alone in applauding Corbyn for ‘comparing’ the Israeli government/state to IS; both are full of xenophobic fascist religious extremists, who call for the extermination of those who do not share their views. Fact

The trouble with grossly exaggerated comparisons is it makes you sound anti-semitic. Or thick. Either is a bad look for a PM in waiting, particularly at an anti-semitism event.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“The trouble with grossly exaggerated comparisons is it makes you sound anti-semitic. Or thick

No it doesn’t. And it’s not really a ‘grossly exaggerated comparison’. It’s a pretty fair one, when you look at the facts, although IS have murdered far larger numbers of people than the Israeli military and far-right extremists have recently. There’s absolutely nothing ‘anti-Semitic’ in comparing two vile regimes at all, other than in the minds of apologists for Israeli fascism.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Corbyn appears before Home Affairs Committee 4pm (now)

Parliament TV

footflaps

There’s absolutely nothing ‘anti-Semitic’ in comparing two vile regimes at all, other than in the minds of apologists for Israeli fascism.

You’re forgetting the Israel defence, anyone they don’t like is anti-Semitic…

Viewing 22 posts - 641 through 662 (of 662 total)

The topic ‘Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.’ is closed to new replies.