Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Kate & William's Engagement
  • billybob
    Free Member

surely the question we should be asking is can it be better than dave & victoria’s wedding or cheryl & ashley’s or even the gypsy wedding on channel 4 a while ago

philconsequence
    Free Member

Apparently, hence your contributions to this thread + the other one you started about the royals

well pointed out, the other one was started for a chuckle, hoping it’d get a reaction and make some people spit out their porridge in disgust 🙂 but then again if the subject of the day was football (which again i know nothing/care very little about) i’d probably do the same.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Apparently, hence your contributions to this thread + the other one you started about the royals

well pointed out, the other one was started for a chuckle, hoping it’d get a reaction and make some people spit out their porridge in disgust 🙂 but then again if the subject of the day was football (which again i know nothing/care very little about) i’d probably do the same.

anokdale
    Free Member

Good luck to them both, hope he treats her better than his dad did to Diana. 👿

He has not done bad there for a crab. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am sick of it already – I couldn’t even have the tv on this morning as I was getting ready for work.

And on the local news last night their main news item was ‘Kate’s dad used to live in our region’ and ‘William recently spoke to a soldier from our region’.

Really? So ufcking what.

hels
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Jon Stewart’s take on it all on the Daily Show, he seems to cover british stuff.

downshep

Russell Howard/

If only Diana were here…..wail

/Russell Howard

hora
    Free Member

Anyone else think nice for them but really so what?

IdleJon

Her grandfather was a coal miner apparently, so I’m curious about where she got the plummiest accent in the world?

yunki
    Free Member

I’m curious about where she got the plummiest accent in the world?

boarding school..?
    young conservatives meetings..?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m curious about where she got the plummiest accent in the world?

I dunno, but the media keep telling us she’s from a normal middleclass family.

Middleclass? WTF does that mean? I really have no idea!

E.G. People like that woman who edits Majesty magazine always bang on about “Royals” dating a “commoners” and what a shocker this is. What a load of supercilious tosh! These partners of the Royals are almost always upperclass and I don’t get why there is this weird preoccupation whether they are good enough for the the Royal family. From what I can see, these other highly successful, highly affluent posh people are every but as upperclass as the Monarchy. It’s farcical!

So why do upperclass people get referred to as middleclass? Are upperclass people being patronisingly modest?

Personally, I think this ancient British disease of catagorising into people into a social heirarchy is not healthy. We should be more respectful towards each other and get focused on making a better life for all.

People who aspire to speak with a plummy accent, not by birth, are out of touch. They clearly have an innate arrogance and self-appointed sense of superiority. In this day and age, these people all quite embarrassing,, IMHO. 😆

Jeez, i’m so left wing! 😆

hora
    Free Member

Nice body though hasn’t she? Hmmm lush it be

Yoda hora

McHamish
    Free Member

@Spongebob

It works on the other side of the coin too…well off (or ‘middleclass’) people will insist that they’re working class.

Maybe they want people to think they come from the streets, init? And didn’t grow up with plenty of money and two holidays each year.

My Dad has this habit of pointing out our Grandad was a miner therefore we’re all working class.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I like that word! (working) People belonging to the group who go to work and put their back into it should be held in very high esteem indeed! Especially if they only earn peanuts, because it takes someone with a true work ethic to graft for so little reward. Hat’s off to them!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Oh sorry, Kate and William,,,,,, 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I can see, these other highly successful, highly affluent posh people are every but as upperclass as the Monarchy

The traditional ‘class’ definitions go back to someone’s book from the 18th century or something. Working classes are people that do and make stuff, middle classes are people that have money and manage stuff. Upper classes are ONLY nobility. So no matter how much money you have you can’t become upper class. That was then, of course.

Now, the richest people in the world are often middle class or even from working class backgrounds. You can also be middle class but poor, and even upper class but poor. Also being in a ‘profession’ used to mark you out as being middle class but some ie teachers are now fairly poorly off!

And in America the traditional class designations are different – middle class means the average Joe, who would be uswually be working class by our definitions.

molgrips
    Free Member

it takes someone with a true work ethic to graft for so little reward

Or no other choice!

iDave
    Free Member

I don’t see why anyone would be proud to work really hard for little reward? Fine if you love the work, if you get pleasure from creating something worthwhile, but to graft hard for bugger all reward is plain stupid…. in most cases….

noteeth
    Free Member

even upper class but poor

8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can also be middle class but poor, and even upper class but poor

Don’t be so ridiculous. How on Earth d’you work that one out?

Bunnyhop

She’s accepted an engagement ring that belonged to William’s mother. I guess you lot would all be up in arms if he’d gone out and bought Kate a million pound diamond ring.

Also her family have worked their way up in the world. I say good on them.

grim168
    Free Member

One bit of advice Kate, wear a seatbelt 😀

legend
    Free Member

apparently she the first person to slide their finger into Diana’s ring since Dodi Al Fayed

I’ll get my coat 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

She’s accepted an engagement ring that belonged to William’s mother. I guess you lot would all be up in arms if he’d gone out and bought Kate a million pound diamond ring.

Also her family have worked their way up in the world. I say good on them.

Exactly.

During these austere times William couldn’t afford to spend a million pounds on a diamond ring, so they will have to make do with a second hand one.

Now if that doesn’t prove how “we are all in this together”, then I don’t know what does.

And I’m also, very impressed with how William has decided to marry the daughter of self-made millionaires. After all, it would have been rather depressing if he had chosen to marry someone who’s parents hadn’t even bothered to make several million pounds. Let’s hope the thought didn’t even cross his mind.

davidrussell
    Free Member

do you reckon she’s a virgin?

Spongebob
    Free Member

do you reckon she’s a virgin?

😆 😆 😆 😆

During these austere times William couldn’t afford to spend a million pounds on a diamond ring, so they will have to make do with a second hand one.

I don’t think he’d actually have much trouble affording what he wants!

As for the secondhand comment; the ring, aside from being worth a fortune, has immense sentimental value and i’m sure Kate would feel incredibly flattered that William should see fit to adorn her hand with an item once worn by the most famous woman in the World and that was a feature of the most high profile engagement/wedding in modern times.

IdleJon

The second item on the BBC news is that the pair ‘ are said to be on cloud 9’! Nothing new after that, jusr speculation.

Is nothing else happening in the world – aren’t we invading somewhere or rioting, throwing veg at politicians?

Can we have our normal crap news back please?

trailmonkey

Aah the ring.

Excellent piece of PR there. A tangible link to the peoples Princess and an instant association with the(inexplicably) happy national memory of the Charles Diana wedding. They may be an obnoxious bunch but stoopid they ain’t

Have they decided on a venue yet ? Any chance they might do it in London ? Seems really appropriate as they’re the Wales’s and London hardly gets used as the venue for anything of national importance. I’m sure London really needs the revenue that it will generate too and after all, it is the only cathedral city in the country.

IdleJon

Have they decided on a venue yet ?

No according to the non-news.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Have they decided on a venue yet ?

Never mind the venue, it’s the dress I’m interested in.

Thankfully, my Guardian newspaper this morning had a whole article speculating what the dress might look like

Royal wedding: What will Kate Middleton wear on the big day?

Apparently : “Kate Middleton’s wedding dress will be classical, demure and created by a British designer, fashion insiders predicted today”.

There’s really nothing I like doing more during my tea break, than to sit down and read an article which speculates what wedding dress someone might, or might not, be wearing.

So a big thank you to the Guardian.

And their fashion “insiders”.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m going to dress up in my Pearly King outfit and go and stand outside Buck Palace with Ernie, in case they come out on the balcony to wave at us. I’ll do a little Cockney dance to attract the TV cameras, then gush forth about how happy I am for them and how wonderful it all is and how Britain will be great again. I’ll probbly then start sobbing with pure, unbridled joy, and millions around the World, watching on TV, will think ‘what a lovely man’ and THE HEARTS OF THE NATION SHALL BE TOUCHED AS NEVER BEFORE.

Kevevs
    Free Member

am I bothered though? Is this face bothered?

Ed2001
    Free Member

chav stalker marries into foreign dysfunctional benefit scrounging family

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

QUOTE:
    IdleJon – Member
    Her grandfather was a coal miner apparently, so I’m curious about where she got the plummiest accent in the world?
    UNQUOTE.

Bone comment.

What did your grandfather do?

One of my grandfathers was a Yorkshire agricultural worker, the other was a pilot in the South African Air Force and later a bookseller.

I don’t sound like either of them.

Don’t you believe in social mobility?

IdleJon

So serious, bravohotel9er? Are you aware that she sounds posher than the royal she’s marrying? 😉

Anyway, I’ve worked it out.

After the miners all became IT consultants in 84, they decided to get their own back on ‘the man’, but they’ve been playing the long game.

Kate is actually a replicant that the miners built using their new found robotic skills learned during those ‘retraining sessions’ at the Jobcentre. Once she is married into the royals, she will subvert the government through them and the UK will become a Marxist paradise full of proper working people with proper manual jobs and proper accents.

The red flags in the bunting at the wedding will have more significance than being part of the Union flag, and if you listen carefully you will hear the strains of the ‘Internationale’ in the background.

My evidence? A quick google shows that she has two dogs called Marx and Engels. (She also has a gerbil called Goering – not sure about that bit.) It’s easy to piece this stuff together with the internet isn’t it?

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Kate & William's Engagement’ is closed to new replies.