Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Just the one bike……..
  • letmetalktomark

Who has managed to get their collection down to just one bike?

After a recent rationalization/moment of madness I decided that whist having a full sus, two hardtails and a retrobike was fun I was just not riding enough to warrant them. So they are going 🙁

Having said that for every bit I sell another bit catches my eye 🙄

Now its a battle of will power I feel 🙂

So who has culled their collection?

What bike remains?

Has the urge to buy another happened yet?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have tried and failed. Not going to try again.

rOcKeTdOg

i want to but i'm not strong enough

BigDummy
    Free Member

It depends what you're trying to do. I can't get down to one because:

– I don't drive, and find the cargo bike immensely useful

– I don't really want to have to choose between riding on and off the road

So I'd struggle to get below three unless I really had to. If that happened the cargo bike would probably be the survivor. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

three.

now i only consider replacements or upgrades not additions.

letmetalktomark

@ Bigdummy they are all fair comments.

I should probably say who has gotten down to a single off road bike as this is what I am aiming for. The fact I have no other disipline bikes makes that easier I guess! 🙂

To Mister P & RD why have you experienced problems?

letmetalktomark

SOOBalias – Member

three.

now i only consider replacements or upgrades not additions.

What sort are the three?

BigJohn

Apart from my pub/shopping/commuter bike (a £25 reclaim special) I've got a Cotic Soul with a Magura Menja 130 fork which I always think is the perfect bike for wherever I take it. Chase, Peak, Lakes, CyB, whatever.

It spends most of its time singlespeed but because mine has the old fashioned slotted cable guides I can put the gears back on in a flash without having to adjust the cables even.

Chris-S
    Free Member

At the moment 1 bike – and that only has 1 gear !

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah if you mean one MTB then I have managed that at the moment, my Ti Altitude is the only fat tyred bike I have. Probably won't be alone for long though.

convert

Down to 1 mtb, but got 4 other bikes so that doesn't really count does it! And the 1 mtb will be joined by another when I get around to finishing building it up.

Ti456 – would have bought an Orange 5 if I had known there was another hardtail on the way.
    Pompino – now flat barred for shopping duties & buzzing around work.
    One one ti cross – winter road, summer touring, autumn cyclocross duties- the bike I'd rescue from a fire.
    Issac Kelvin summer road bike, could do without if I'm honest now I don't road race.
    Cervelo P3c – that I'm currently too fat to ride comfortably but selling it would break my heart and be the slippery slope to obesity!

….To be joined by Alfined Niner Sir9 for mud duties.

I think 2 bikes should be achievable though if I was able to admit to myself I'm never going to be proper fast again – a bouncy bike for bigger adventures and another – maybe a cross with 2 sets of wheels to cover everything else including road. One bike would always feel too compromised.

Pook

Erm, anyone else trying to get their collection up to two or more?

binners

If there's one thing will force you to rationalise your collection its unemployment. As things get increasingly desperate you start to look where all your spare capital is. Where did all your disposable income go? Oh look…. its all in the garage 😀

I'm now down to my full susser (and I'll be living on the street before that goes) and my pub/hack singlespeed

Everything else has been ebayed. Including all the 'surplus' parts that clutter everywhere up

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

you neeeeeed 2 mountain bikes so you can ride one when the other is broken. A HT and a FS seems the best mix to me.

Stiggy

I'm down to just my Soul. I do have a crappy pub bike though if that counts.

sambob
    Free Member

im with you on that one pook, although a job would help me massively 😛

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nope.

I'll stick to the 5 I have..

I agree with Binners tho..

When I was made redundant, the first thing I thought was to flog them off and get some cash, but then the Mrs pointed out that I'd be even more gutted, and with nowt to do..

So I didin't.

And, when I got my new job- I bought a new frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

4 bikes here, all get used, what's the point in reducing the number?

tinsy
    Free Member

theiving scumbags took me from 2 bikes to one…

They knicked my hardtail that did me for racing and local rides and left me with my 5 inch full sus, that was OK for ages, but as I was doing a few races at the time but was short of cash I sold the sus frame and bought another hardtail frame as I was never going to get a pass for trailcentres or the Alps for ages anyhow, but if a trip to Wales had come up I would have still been quite well covered….

so was still at 1 bike, and it was fine for everything & I was and happy, then the unthinkable happened and I got a pass for an Alps trip… bugger the do it all full sus now gone and a Lightwieght hardtail instead.. So built up a 6 inch travel bike just for the alps and trailcentres and stuff..

In answer if your going to have 1 bike make it a medium sort of travel full sus, light enough for XC racing, Enduros etc but heavy enough for a little bigger stuff… OK you dont need sus for trailcentres but I find it prefereable, but if you have any trips to do up a proper mountain you will enjoy it more with suspension.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

One hooligan bike and one mincing bike for me. Both get used every other day all year long.

kiwijohn

I came to Oz with 1 bike, the Salsa, now I have 5. Only 2 are used offroad regularly, the others are mainly used on the street. I could never sell the Salsa & the DBR Axis TT is a keeper. The Iron Horse will break for the last time soon.
    I don't sell bikes. The ones I could sell, aren't worth much, so why bother.

soobalias
    Free Member

1. Heavy Duty Full Suss – DH, uplift, awaydays, full face, pads etc.
    2. Hard Tail – almost all recreational riding
    3. SS/FG skinny tyred drop barred racks & guards commuter

shortcut

My numbers are going up. Not down.

Turner 5 spot – for trails centres and scotland plus the odd surrey hills ride. Alps trip this year.
    Santa Cruz Superlight – racing, general local riding and anything else.
    Cotic Simple – Winter & Wet
    Cotic Soul – on its way – coz I wanted one.
    Specialized Tricross Single – new purchase second hand – nice for riding from the door
    Road bike.

Only one not ridden in the last month is the road bike & the sould which is not quite back from respray yet!

VassagoJay
    Free Member

I've been trying for a few years and I'm getting closer to my goal !! 3 years ago I owned 17 bikes (dont ask) and I'm now down to 6 (and 5 frames) 😉 My goal is to get down to one play bike (Vassago Jabberwocky) and 1 commuter (Cannondale bad boy)

sambob
    Free Member

because youve told me not to, how the hell did you manage to have 17 bikes?? i would love 2 bikes but there we go 😛

Northwind

I got by just fine with just one, the Soul. Well, plus my commuter but that doesn't count, it's not a real bike. Did me everything from local XC to snow commuting to fort william. I'm glad I can afford and have the space for 2, since they're built to do kind of different jobs… But I could go back to one without too much fuss.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have one solo MTB – its set up to be OK at everything – a compromise between light and strong that works for me – and with travel adjust fork so its OK up and down hill. Its better than I am.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i've got two bikes. it's ridiculous! one ali hardtail and one steel rigid. i should just combine them into a steel hardtail – will be able to offroad, do alps, touring, some road… i sicken myself by having two!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

double post..

Bikerat
    Free Member

One bike only, numerous sets of tyres, but since I don't plan on launching myself down the alps I should be fine for a while, yeti ASR, I suppose it depends on how much space you've got to store them.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I was always under the impression that the correct number of bikes was N+1 with N being the number you currently have. I currently have a kinesis maxlight and a giant road bike and as the above law suggests I am looking for another road bike.

Iain

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've got four at the moment:

1 x 130mm full suss
    1 x Steel HT
    1 x Road Bike
    1 x SS Commuter

i'm pretty certain the HT is going to become girlyfied for the wife, so thats how I'm going to get down to less 😆

westkipper
    Free Member

Those of you that seem to be on some sort of religious quest to get down to "just one bike"…
    …do you take the same approach to other essential things in life? jackets?, shoes?,… underwear?!.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sort of. One "proper" mtb, Thorn Raven Enduro with Rohloff Speedhub and Magura Thors.
    But I do also have a fixie road bike for commuting which is soon to be replaced by an ALfine'd Peregrine Singular. And I have an old Kona Cindercone I can't bare to part with which is single-speeded but hung up in need of some TLC, but that's only for quick blasts through town and the local woods.

But I did used to have 8, so I consider it an improvement.

bol

I'm trying to do the same. I'm just getting round to selling some stuff. The Pitch is being swapped for a ragley mmmbop, and if I really like it and it is alright at xc as well as bigger stuff I will probably sell it and my beloved litespeed and buy a ragley ti. That's the plan, but I'll be surprised if it actually happens.

igm

On-one with swap outs might help reduce the number of hardtails by one.

lowey

Only the one here. Only ever had one in the 22 years I have been MTB'ing.

As I change to a new one I seel the old one.

Currently got a 5 spot, had it 5 years and cant see me ever changing it unless it breaks.

karnali
    Free Member

1x scandal hardtail
    1x titus motolite ( ona 3 year loan from brother in law currently in OZ)
    1x Dolan cross bike (used most days fro commuting winter training, going to shops)
    1x road bike (used for tri's and summer riding)
    1x road bike (wifes road bike we ride the same size bikes)
    1x cube ams (wifes but as above)

the motolite gets ridden rarely but cost me a fortune to replace the bearings recently, thinkging of changing the scandal for a new sirius frame and getting rid of one of the road bikes, will see how much spa ethere is in the new garage. Wen the motolite goes will prob not replace it.

SaxonRider

I managed for a few weeks after one got stolen. Insurance happily fixed that problem, though. 8)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Only got one MTB (but one urban bike for road work and one BMX for injuring myself, plus a full sus in the cupboard I don't use anymore).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Just the one bike……..’ is closed to new replies.