Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • just saved yet another life – it's getting boring now
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

anyone else give blood?

http://www.blood.co.uk

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did, but an opperation and a nigerian girlfriend meant I was too much of a liability for a while and never got arround to finding out where the nearest place is after I moved.

n.b. If you give blood, you may as well sign up for bone marrow as well, the test is fairly painless (just a normal blood test) and you can always back down at the last minute if you dont want to op after they've matched you (although I guess youd feel a bit of a c***).

Jerome
    Free Member

Blood and bone marrow here, oh so smug.
    Painless and they make you feel good..
    I believe the Bone marrow can be harvested without the op now.

29erKeith
    Free Member

platelets and bone marrow here

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Would like to and have offered before but apparently I was born in the wrong place a year too early. Asked for clarification by the web site a couple of years ago and never got a reply and haven't really had the opportunity since. Maybe time to go back and try again….

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Gave my 50th a few months back 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sperm here. Multiple recipients. Win win. 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Can't lack of Iron. Mrs does on a regualar basis.

I have a Mate who's gay and they won't let him. Really winds him up.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

i am 17 and last week gave my 3rd pint 🙂

whilst waiting for it to all happen it is completley worth it and the finger prick and actually donation take very little time

ourmaninthenorth

The online form doesn't like the fact I (1) had a significant operation 5 years ago (no transfusion, though) and (2) caught malaria nearly 15 years ago (took so much Larium in Austrlia that it's never – knowingly – returned).

Oh, and as for bone marrow donation, I tried signing up to the Anthiny Nolan trust, but was turned away because I have right bundle branch block.

I think I need to speak to somone about this, as I'm keen to help out.

specialone
    Free Member

Yip I try and give as much as I can, crap myself everytime I go but is never as bad as I think it will be. But its a great feeling knowing you've done some good

toby1

1 trip to Africa and 1 trip to India last year means I haven't yet this year, although they really should be in touch soon. I did drag a non-swimmer having a panic attack out of a pool in Kenya though so at least got some 'life saving' in!

yunki
    Free Member

irresponsible behaviour in my youth makes me too high risk

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thank you for reminding me hoops, im a lapsed Donor due to work in the past, but have changed my job 3 months ago and have just found out the next session in my area.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Started giving blood years ago after an road accident when I received some, gave regularly for 10+ years but then they said because I have had a transfusion they do not want my blood anymore. Wasn't very far away from my Gold Card!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wont let me ….jobs high risk to em ….missus does though

crewlie

Massive thanks to everyone who gives blood. I needed a transfusion four years ago during major surgery, so I guess I probably wouldn't be here now if not for you lot. They won't let me give now 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Done it once and keep meaning to go back and do it again – just haven't bothered with uni and other stuff getting in the way. When I get a stable schedule I'll get on it – costs nothing and can save lives! I don't get people who won't do it.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Can't because I used to live in the UK! Go figure.

nickc

Not allowed

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've thought about it but never got round to it. I'm on the organ donor list though.

theotherjonv

I'm lapsed. Travelled to an at risk area a few years back and wasn't allowed for a while, but I'm sure I'd be OK now. Right, that's a task for tonight, find a session to go to.

I think I recall you can even book a slot online now. That was always a pisser (but it's relative I suppose) that some sessions you'd queue for an hour or more to do your duty.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Blood and bone marrow here. Friend's wife had leukemia last year, which prompted the bone marrow bit.

Couldn't give for a while as I lived in Africa in my youth. They developed a test for malaria and all good now.

My kids like the "My Dad Gave Blood Today" stickers.

Paul

cranberry
    Free Member

Used to donate when I was in the UK. Now that I am in the Netherlands I can't as a Britisher in case I give someone mad cow's disease. Still I think one of the natives would be better off with a pint of finest Yorkshire Red.

Mooooooooooooooooqwack

forlornhope
    Free Member

nope had hepatitus a a few years ago and now have a genetic muscle wasting disease.

PrinceJohn

Does it not concern you that your blood might save some right nasty piece of work who gets beaten nearly to death in jail due to his or her evil crimes?

timraven

Since I was 16, with a bit of a gap due to work, travel etc.

Going tmw as it happens 😆

project
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone who gave blood as a few years ago had a minor surgical issue, they found out i was severely anaemic,so had to give me 4 units overnight,(thats 4 pints) got woken up every 5 minutes and got blood pressure checked ,had op the next day and woke up next morning with the bed soaked in blood, came as a bit of a shock to the chaps in the next bed when i got up to go to the toilet,and me,my pygamas and bed where soaked in blood.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If I'd have known you were going to waste it… 😉

project
    Free Member

Had 2 months off work unpaid to think about it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

just saved yet another life

Bet you haven't saved as many as my mate Merv.

Who's a paramedic.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I started again recently after first giving when I was at Uni nearly 20 years ago.

Surprised no one's mentioned the best bit about giving blood.

That warm feeling inside that can only come from free cake!

mrsflash
    Free Member

can't at the moment, preggo, will be back again as soon as I can – a year away yet though

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

This thread disgusts me.

Surely we're all completely missing the point of giving blood..

sweepy
    Free Member

they dont want mine, i bet theyd **** take it if they were bleeding to death in a gutter after being hit by a lorry tho,

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

FREE BISCUITS!!!!!!!!! 😀

(done it a couple of times .. waaaay too slack…might stop by and leak out a bit for them tomorrow now you mention it)

GrahamS

Sperm here. Multiple recipients.

Ahhh the care-free bachelor days at uni…

leftyboy
    Free Member

I'm another not allowed, I've had cancer twice so will never be allowed much to my distress

Philby

Another sperm donor here – got made redundant as had hit the limit for conceptions – used to give blood in same hospital purely for medical research. Gave blood a couple of years ago in Cambodia (requests for blood donors due to an outbreak of dengue fever), but never in the UK for normal transfusion uses. On the Anthony Nolan bone marrow database as well.

Royston
    Free Member

New Zealand Blood Service won't accept donations from anyone who lived in the UK during the 90's (CJD)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘just saved yet another life – it's getting boring now’ is closed to new replies.