Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Just fitted a new chain
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Do i need to lube it or will it be OK as it is out of the box ??

Cheers

Andy

timbercombe
    Free Member

It should have a waxy coating already. I normally leave mine for a few rides depending on the condition, I'm sure others do differently though.
    Will do no harm putting a little lube on and wiping off excess.

Andy-W
    Free Member

yes it has the waxy coating but i dont want that to get all the nasty crap in the peaks to stick to my nice new chain

a bit of lube and a wipe off like you say is the order of the day i think

cheers

Kramer
    Free Member

I wipe the outside of a new chain with GT85 before I first use it to get the sticky grease off.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah wipe the outside to get the sticky stuff off from there but leave it on in the links. I wouldn't bother adding any more lube for the first ride.

carl
    Free Member

if you stop and think about what you are saying here and it is good advise it begs the question why would you spend money on chainlube only to wipe it off.Because it becomes a wet grinding paste attracting all the crap and turning everything black so why use those type of chainlubes.

Im biased because i believe so much in this product that i help promote it and i hate degresing chains.I would rather be riding.

try Squirt chainlube,no degreasing,last,runs dry and clean and you dont have to wipe any off.

Hip
    Free Member

Squirt lube actually recommend you degrease the chain of any wet or dry lubes and let dry before the first application of Squirt.

Deff wipe the excess wax off the chain though, GT85, WD40 or any other degreaser on a rag will do the job.

tinsy
    Free Member

Another opinion is its not a lube but a packing grease to stop the chain tarnishing, it definately stops the chain from shifting smoothly, some completely de grease em and then apply their fav lube….

I just get all the sticky stuff off the outside myself.

carl
    Free Member

with any chainlube to form a proper opinion you would need to degrease your chain to start with.
    Once you have done that and apply Squirt theres no further degresing.Ive ridden weekly since April in all weather and my chain and sprockets have zero gunk build up and i havent degreased.I havent ridden the miles like i did last year and no GDR races for me this year but im probably a good example of what most riders do on a regular basis.
    Have a look at velo news and Travis browns leadville bike.Travis is a total convert to Squirt and runs the sticker without payment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Just fitted a new chain’ is closed to new replies.