Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Itchycoo Park ?
  • grynch
    Free Member

so will anyone.. perhaps other than Hora… be lining up for "Faces" tickets?

Over bridge of sighs
    To rest my eyes in shades of green
    Under dreamin' spires
    To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been..

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Only if Steve Marriot's in the lineup…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I so hate that song. And now you've got in my head. Grrr

grynch
    Free Member

err… is he still alive?

EDIT : nope, didn't think so.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My point exactly, though I would pay good money to see it.

grynch
    Free Member

maybe another thread? "Greatest dead rock stars you would like to see" ?

MSP

Every group I have sseen that have past their prime have been a massive dissapointment to me. Watching james brown about 5 years ago was just heartbreaking, and seeing film footage of led zeps reuinion the other year they just looked pathetic (I think the fan base would have cheered and praised them to the heavens if cardboard cutouts had been on stage).
    I would rather the legends remain so in my mind than see the reality of them desprately hanging on to the last remanents of life even though they are clearly much closer to death.

grynch
    Free Member

OT.. Humble Pie… I saw them … ohhhhh gawd….. 1972 ?… outdoor concert… pissin' rain.

awwwwww memories.

scaredypants

is the Mick Hucknall thing true (re the Faces)? 😯

If so, it'll be wall-to-wall cowboy boots and leopardskin leggings

grynch
    Free Member

Sky News reported it.. couldn't be wrong.

DezB
    Free Member

Without Marriott it isn't the Small Faces.

I feel quite ill at the thought of Hucknall fronting them.

Hey deadlydarcy, we really do completely disagree on everything musical don't we? 😉

bigdawg
    Free Member

erm, this is a Faces reunion, not the Small Faces – the Faces were a later different entity with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Kenny Jones, Ian McLagan and the late Ronnie Lane.

scaredypants

Ah, steady now – hucknall is fronting "the faces" (ie rod's old lot) not the small ones

(I think)

(makes it no better though, hey ?)

(ED: I have no idea whose back catalogue he'll be ruining – or did TF just nic all the older stuff anyway)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

small faces = steve marriott

faces = rod stewart

not the same band, and not in the same league as small faces, mostly same band members but rod hasnt got a thing on steve marriott!

small faces = best band evor!

scaredypants

didzy – they had some common members didn't they ?

(but, yeh, +1 (for the which was best part anyway))

DezB
    Free Member

Thank f*** for that! Thanks for clearing up what barnsleymitch threw me into confusion over.
    Feel better now 🙂

[edit] thread title was bloody confusing too! 😕

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sad. No wonder Rodney the Modney didn't bother with it…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

scaredypants, yes they had did indeed have alot of the original lineup, but it wasnt the same, without marriot and lane (who wrote the songs between them) for the Small Faces….

rod stewart has got a cracking voice, but stevey m was the oringinal and the best! the faces were not a patch on the Small Faces, they are not worthy of the association to SM imo

BigJohn

It's very unfashionable to say this but when Mick Hucknall rocks, he rocks. He's got a very good blues pedigree. It's just that his day job is a bit crap.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My first "Album" when I was a mere 13 years old was "Small Faces Small Faces Small Faces" with "Sha-la-la-la-lee" on it ("Picked her up on a Friday night…"). Check out "Ogden's Nut-Gone Flake". "My name is Stan. I'm on a quest to find the missing half of the moon…". Mods on Acid. One of the songs is an amphetamine-fuelled rocker about baking some bread! Completely mental…

Saw The Faces at the QE Hall South Bank in '68. They had a bar set up on stage under a couple of plastic palm trees and a fake caribbean seascape from whence a barman would mix them cocktails when they wanted refreshers between songs.

Gotta love that. One of the best "Goodtime" bands ever.

Still got a soft spot for Rodnee even today – what with the footballs and the Las Vegas show that always finishes with "Sailing".

There's damn few like us, and they're all deeeed… :mrgreen:

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

8) awesome stuff! glad to hear of a fellow mtb/small faces fan 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKZoFRpZCI

Goosebumps or what? What a great guitarist too. Now where did Mr Weller get his sound from?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i heard a story that i believe to be true as it came from led zep singer robert plant himself, so no hear say…….

basically robert plant of led zep (who has an absolutly stunning voice), was actually interviewed once in 60's or 70's saying he owes all his vocal credentials to marriott! he said he tried to sing like him and if you listen to whole lotta love by led zep, its got the lyrics in it from a small faces song and he sounds exactly like stevey marriott……now that is some claim to fame on itself given how huge led zep are and how brilliant robert plants voice is…

he had absolutly everything, voice, guitar, clothes, hair – the ultimate mod figurehead to me 8) just epitomises everything mod should be….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Died when his house caught fire. He stepped through what he thought was the door to the room. Turned out to be a cupboard that locked itself behind him…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep such a tradgedy, still all the greats die young 😉

john_l
    Free Member

Small Faces – 100% brilliant.

Tin Soldier's one of my all time favourites, just don't listen to it back to back with Whirlpool's End.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah without a shadow of a doubt tin soldiers my fave tune of all time, when that kicks in the intro it sends shivers big time!

still love weller though, i actually dont mind songs sounding similar as its just influence to me, i can see the whole rip off thing, but with weller its a bit different as he doesnt need to rip anyone off really, he s wrote that many original songs nobody could really accuse him of making a living out of it (unlike mr gallagher, to me he is just paying homage to his peers 🙂 ) got a lot of time for the man, hes still also excellently elegantly cool at 50+…..now if i looked like that when i was 50 i would be running off with a 23 year old 😉

Dark-Side

Afterglow of your love. Ace.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Spitty Paul Weller. WHAT a tool.

failedengineer

I'm amazed to find so many fellow Small faces fans!! Only white band acceptable to the original mods, IME.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Itchycoo Park ?’ is closed to new replies.