Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this fitted correctly ?? .. (Orange Five rear brake mount)
  • baz2963
    Free Member

I have fitted this Rear IS 185mm Avid brake mount to my Orange Five frame, Just need to know firstly that I have’nt been a tit and incorrectly installed it.

photo by baz2963, on Flickr

Secondly, if it is installed correctly I want to know if I need to worry about the weld on the swingarm which slightly got in the way of the mount being fitted flush… as I tightened the bolt it crushed the weld as it pulled the mount into line. Is this OK ?? (see white arrow)

2 by baz2963, on Flickr

Thanks.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the right way round.

ahwiles
    Free Member

looks right to me.

(your installation of the adaptor that is)

baz2963
    Free Member

What about the weld ? .. any problems or is it normal for a frame manufacturer to sometimes do a weld too big ???

Ta

ahwiles
    Free Member

i would imagine it’s normally ‘fettled’ before leaving the factory…

drewfus
    Free Member

i wouldnt worry about the weld area, it looks to me as if its paint overspill. if it actually is weld material there is plenty of weld there that tiny bit wont make it fail.

skywalker
    Free Member

My last Five’s welds were like that. This one seems to be pretty damn good TBH, must have been a midweek bike and not a last minute Friday afternoon job.

baz2963
    Free Member

Thanks guys .. mind now at rest. 🙂

ask1974
    Free Member

Nice colour, fancy posting a picture of the whole bike…

skywalker
    Free Member

Electric blue isn’t it? Either that or plasma blue.

baz2963
    Free Member

It’s plasma .. I’ll try n get more pics up but yahoo mail server not working currently.

coogan
    Free Member

Shonky British welding.

Superficial
    Free Member

If it was me, I’d file the mount down to get it to clear the frame without crushing the weld. Even if it doesn’t do the frame any structural harm it’s going to be messing up your brake alignment.

skywalker
    Free Member

I’d be taking it back and getting them to sort it out myself, that is shocking.

dsw75
    Free Member

A mate of mine sent back two new Orange 5 frames to the factory for shoddy welding in exactly the same spot. Third time he got lucky, bit crap though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would file the adaptor a lttle just f make sure that it is totally flat against the mount. If it is just a little bit out you will have some horrid vibrations and sounds. Don’t file the frame.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Is it not just a bit of extra thick paint from a drop? My scandal had same thing, once the paint flaked off it was fine, if a little annoying

robsoctane
    Free Member

Superficial – Member
    If it was me, I’d file the mount down to get it to clear the frame without crushing the weld. Even if it doesn’t do the frame any structural harm it’s going to be messing up your brake alignment.

This!

You need it sorting properly if you want your 3k bike to work properly. I think the job is called facing the surface – call Orange, maybe they’ve heard of it???

Paceman
    Free Member

The LBS or Orange should sort that, it’s not worth bodging on £3K bike.

baz2963
    Free Member

The mount does fit flush, so theres no problems of the brake vibrating etc.. I have taken some pics with the mount off so you can see (better) what had to be done for it to fit flush, albeit a small amount.

photo2 by baz2963, on Flickr

photo by baz2963, on Flickr

skywalker
    Free Member

I take it back mate, yours isn’t a Friday afternoon bike, they must have welded yours on April the 1st.

baz2963
    Free Member

Thanks ! … What a pain in the bloody arse, wish I has noticed it before building the bike up.

nmdbase
    Free Member

That is damn shocking!

baz2963
    Free Member

Made a call to Sunset Cycles who are ace. Looks like they’ll be making the call to Orange on Monday and hopefully it’ll just be a swap out for a new frame.

Sunset mentioned that this isn’t a warranty issue as its not through use, it’s more a case of buying faulty goods.

nmdbase
    Free Member

hopefully it’ll just be a swap out for a new frame.

There you go 😉

skywalker
    Free Member

I hope so too. That shouldn’t have left the factory, let alone the bike shop.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this fitted correctly ?? .. (Orange Five rear brake mount)’ is closed to new replies.