Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is the Boat Race
  • Pickers

worth going down to that there London town to see?
    Couple of hours on the M40 and tube to see 2 boats crawl past? Or major sporting event that everyone should see once?
    Mrs P quite keen to go, not sure myself. Help needed.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Waste of time, pubs are rammed, unless you can see a big screen or near a tannoy, you will have no idea what's going on. It's definatly a sport where tv is a bonus, apart from the 3 hour build up.

However if you want to tick a box and say you have been, pack a bacpack with food and drinks and have a wee radio so can tune in to what's going on on the buts you can't see,

cp

Much better to see on tv surely… can see the whole thing rather than a couple of mind as they come by. Might be some atmosphere at the finish, but folk don't exactly line the banks!!!

Ridiculous idea.

bruneep

Is it not a toffs event?

donsimon
    Free Member

Couple of hours on the M40 and tube to see 2 boats crawl past?

Crawl past? best you go then…

I wouldn't have thought it would be worth a two hour drive to see. Much better on TV. If you are already in London,and are looking for something to do, I'd go.

bruneep – Member

Is it not a toffs event?

Yes that's right, Rowing is a sport for all. In Chester, Royal Chester is a club for the "toffs", Grosvenor Rowing Club is for the "proles". King's School for the "toffs".

I rowed for Grosvenor and nearly went to King's, a toff I am not! 😉

An excellent sport.

What time is it on? Not the most important event for Spanish schedulers.

psling
    Free Member

to see 2 boats crawl past

You'd be surprised how fast they're going. Which means your two hour journey should catch you two minutes of actual boat race 😕

What is it about the boat race that catches the public's imagination? A couple of University teams made up these days mostly of foreign post-grads imported soley for the event in what is really a minority sport. And every Tom, Dich & Harry supports one or other team. Why?

psling, ex rower/sculler 😉

Pickers

Ok, decision made.
    Sun's just come out so bikes out of the garage and riding it is.
    Thanks for the info chaps. I reckon it's a bit too much travelling for not enough spectacle and probably too much pushing and shoving to get a decent view.

theotherjonv

Good fun 15 years ago when I was 25, bantering with the students in the pubs along the towpath and trying to tap off, before a big night out in London with mates.

Now as a 40 year old, I'd feel a bit 'sinister' trying the same……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is the Boat Race’ is closed to new replies.