Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • is mtb journalism, proper journalism?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

When the case was settled out of court, we made inquiries but he was under a non-disclosure agreement…

..and to be fair Chipps that is where the tenacity of a hairy assed journalist would have kicked in.

MrAgreeable

To claim that, because there wasn’t a verdict there wasn’t a story, is pretty lightweight.

You’re not the first person to accuse me of that, funnily enough. But, although I agree there was some interesting evidence presented on both sides (on the one hand, Fox’s previous patent application for a revised dropout design, citing safety reasons, on the other their expert’s deconstruction of the physics and shifting of the blame onto the QR) none of that really adds up to something you can print. At the best, you’d annoy loads of manufacturers and owners of said equipment by pointing out that in certain very unusual circumstances it can fail, and most users would probably ignore you anyway. At worst, you’d have created the MTBing equivalent of the salmonella scare.

It also has to be said, inferring anything from litigation settling is a dangerous business. My impression, from my limited experience of the industry, is that when a settlement is made there’s overwhelming mutual relief on all sides, and the addition of a gagging clause isn’t the sort of thing people get hung up on. And there are always other factors at play besides who is right.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think you’re making several points here, very broadly:

1 – that the mtb press shouldn’t annoy manufacturers;

2 – that they shouldn’t raise or ventilate safety concerns about equipment;

3 – that the readership won’t pay attention to technical arguments (other than “23% stiffer than last year’s model”, anyway);

4 – that the risks of basing a story on inferences plus “no comment” are too great to run.

I’m sure all these are correct, and I can absolutely see that they fit perfectly well with the business model of these magazines. But it isn’t an approach that’s going to win anyone the Paul Foot Award. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    langy
    Free Member

Dave – do make sure you get the IMBA, CTC and more RoW stuff in, it’s vitally important in the long run and is relevant to everyone, whether they know/accept it or not.

IMBA Australia is about a year old now; fortunately, Nic who heads it up (and happens to be a mate of mine) has managed to do a few things that really help keep it relevant;
    – his IMBA blog roll is mirrored on the biggest Aussie online MTB forum.
    – He has a column in one of the bigger, more DH focused mags over here too (DH “seems” to be where in particular more work is needed for access, yet less participants are willing to do it, at least here in Aus)
    – He does actually get on-line and post on the bigger forums and key regional ones where and when possible.
    – He is always sure to promote the local groups doing the hard graft, day in, day out locally.
    – He attends the national race rounds and bigger events he can to actually meet folks and raise awareness of what he is doing etc.

Consequently he has done a fair bit to raise the awareness around the country for access issues and increased discussion and planning is starting between land managers and riders and other users.

I’m no longer in the UK, but it seems to be a fair problem that IMBA/CTC etc do have is that they don’t seek engagement, but rather wait for it. That is why the locals just get on with it, with no apparent nationwide unification.

Who knows what IMBA UK, for example, is working on at the moment? Very few I bet.

They need to get their message out there by actaully making the effort to engage the MTB community. Your articles may very well help that and get the right folks talking together to push it forward.

MrAgreeable

I’m not saying that MTB mags don’t print stories that will piss off manufacturers, or inform of unsafe equipment. Even the middle of the road ones like MBR will say if their test bike snapped, or if there’s a safety recall on a product. I just don’t think the way the Fox v Pinder case ended exonerated QRs or cast serious doubts on their safety. To use a totally inappropriate cliche, the jury’s still out.

There are plenty of people out there in internetland who are willing to publish speculative cobblers about the safety of cycling products. Blogs like this are equal parts depressing and amusing:

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010/09/safety-moment-speed-wobble-and-jaw.html

Unfortunately, these questions are really hard to answer through images. I would check the tension on the spokes with a tensionometer, consult with a metallurgist who would be able to analyze the sample of broken aluminum rim (Stony Brook should have a professor who may help) and try as much as possible to take a similar wheel with the same tire, attach it to the same bike and perform some maneuvers at the speed in question.

I’d imagine that checking the spoke tension on a wheel where half the spokes are flapping around uselessly after pulling out of the rim will tell you precisely bugger all. Happy to be corrected though, I’m not an engineer. And I particlarly like that on the one hand he’s implying that Mavic rims are dangerous crap, while on the other he’s encouraging people to try and replicate the accident.

samuri
    Free Member

The surf industry (manufacturers, athletes and journos) are a notoriously tight knit community. It took a ‘proper’ journo from outside of the industry to write a fact-based article.

Footballers are notorious drug takers both recreational and performance enhancing but up till recently, football has not had to run the media gauntlet that other sports have had to go through because of the enormous amounts of money that the football companies can bring into play to help maintain the status quo.

I’m glad, mainly from a ’round the table at work’ chat arena, that this information is starting to be leaked via the press. Athletes from all sporting arensa take drugs, a lot. The sports with the least amount of money 3earning potential get exposed first, like athletics and cycling, the last ones to be exposed will be the rich and powerful ones, like football.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In answer to the OP, my experience of minority sports mags (surfing, waterskiing), particularly USA ones, is that they are very much advertiser orientated, I guess they have to be as the readership will be so small, so the mags income will very much depend on support from the industry. So much so that it’s not going to be in their interests to ruffle feathers in the industry. IME any ‘shoot out’ artical between products is often only between products of current advertisers and no real best/worst conclusion is dared to be drawn. Many articals appeared to be just extra advertising space for advertisers ie “if you spend $X on advertising with us, we’ll put your chosen products in other mag articals”. I think this will be the case with the current Surfing mags, so I believe your conclusion is probably correct on that.
    I haven’t experienced this in MTB mags tho, certainly not to the same degree. MTB might be a minority sport, but not to the same degree as surfing or waterskiing.

deep_river
    Free Member

Chipps,

Your remarks are professional, I salute you. Just check out this thread from UKC which is rampant at the moment. I would not expect or ever hope to see anything like this in a professional mtb magazine/website, where the ‘pro’ journalists name people in person!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=436710

DavidB
    Free Member

The closest we have to an investigative journalist in our sector is probably Carlton Reid from Bikebiz who does chase down all sorts of different stories.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/british-bike-association-is-not-the-bicycle-association

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

TBH I think that UKC article (I haven’t read the whole thread) is absolutely spot on. Dealing with specifics and not hiding behind generalisations.

If only there was similar honesty and directness in MTBing I think it would be ultimately constructive (and refreshing).

Anyone remember the guy from up northeast who was Transition’s importer / ditributer for a while? An utter crook and failure as a business man (I know one (of the apparently many) young riders who paid him money to get a cheap frame under a “grass roots” programme who never saw a bike or their cash again). I don’t recall his activities getting much coverage in anythign other than forum posts.

Investigative journalism doesn’t have to be all drugs, corruption and court cases.
    Take this report of Mountain Mayhem for example.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/06/glorious-mayhem-stories-and-results-here/

Mountain bikers, the people who ride bikes, enter events and buy kit, might be interested to know all sorts of things like…
    Where was the highest placed 29er, 1×9, singlespeed, or fully rigid ?
    What was the course like ?
    What tyres were the winners using ?
    What was the solo pit area like ?
    And so on.

All these things would be of interest to anyone wondering what bike or kit to buy or what events to enter next year.
    Instead, we get another page of press releases about tents and sleeping mats.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone remember the guy from up northeast who was Transition’s importer / ditributer for a while? An utter crook and failure as a business man (I know one (of the apparently many) young riders who paid him money to get a cheap frame under a “grass roots” programme who never saw a bike or their cash again). I don’t recall his activities getting much coverage in anythign other than forum posts.

Sounds like a good story. I would suspect that rather than trying to cover things like this up (as the OP suggested happens) the MTB press just don’t have the training to confidently report crime stories.

wwaswas

To be fair I never saw Car magazine doing any features on dodgy car dealers – it’s probably really only of interest to people are affected by it.

The recent Giant 29er recall woudl be interesting though, I think – with all the FEA and testing done to get a product to market and then have to recall it – I’d like to understand how the ‘real’ world differed from the tests and what the manufacturers are doing to change the tests to mirror what happens when people ride them.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

There are a few things that make me smile in the bike mags (rarely Singletrack). I was looking back through some old mags and found a WMB where someone asked how to remove square taper cranks when the threads had stripped. I’ve done that by removing the bolt and riding the bike, their response was cut it off – big risk of cack handed frame damage imho.

I seem to recall the old MBI publishing fairly unresearched routes as well.

As for reporting “crime stories” then a publisher has all of the libel issues that would accompany such a story.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

There are no truly bad products out there now

Maybe not in terms of function when new but journalists rarely keep hold of anything long enough to learn too much about long term reliability, which can be shockingly different from one brand to another.
    Just ask anyone who has spent a couple of years in a LBS and they’ll tell you which bikes come in for linkage bearing replacement most often, which brakes are a pig to get bled, which high end cranks wear their splines at the slightest provocation etc etc.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… and now we hand over to Kate Adie reporting live from interbike.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

While I’m in the mood for a rant, I have yet to see any of the MTB press make a feature of the ISIS/External bottom bracket debacle ie how with either of those systems you have to spend the best part of £100 on a BB to get one that lasts anywhere near as long as even a budget square taper item.

Surely such flawed technology should be worthy of journalistic interest?

binners

As someone who’s spent a considerable amount of time working in publishing, I can say with some authority that

a) You don’t hear the half of it. When I worked at the Guardian, we knew loads of juicy stuff that we wouldn’t have dared to publish as it would have created, literally, a war zone or absolutely ruined individual lives. Something Wikileaks has presently thrown out of the window.

b) Every publication has its own agenda. With some obvious notable exceptions, this isn’t very sinister. Its just self-preservation

You want investigative journalism? Look to the web. The very nature of printed media means it lacks the immediacy. Especially seeing as most publications are printed monthly. So any publication that wishes to survive must alter its content and become less ‘news’ based. They just can’t compete. So to try to would just hasten your own demise. You have to divert your resources to where they’ll be most beneficial (see point b)

I think ST is a prime example of a company doing this really really well. You want news? Go to the website. You want well-written and detailed content. Read the mag

And as to accusations of toadying to manufacturers? Have you read any of Mike Ferrentino’s articles? They’re the polar opposite of this philosophy

Oh and bear in mind that if you walk into any room containing journalists, designers and photographers – and its after lunch – most of them will be drunk and/or coked up 😉

Aidan
    Free Member

binners has just made an excellent argument for proper in-depth reporting, though.

If magazines are all fluffy press releases, their website are even worse. Which is OK considering what they are for… Quickly spreading the latest information. binners is right that having such information in the magazine becomes increasingly pointless.

BUT, that strengthens the argument for proper in-depth articles. Well researched and well written. That’s where spending time looking at the farce of mountain biking’s governing bodies would be good. That’s where looking at the kind of long-term experiences of riders would be important. I’d love to hear a Paxman style interview with Raceface about how utterly useless their BBs have been since square taper. Maybe they wouldn’t want to give a response – but anyone who doesn’t read internet forums wouldn’t be able to guess how terrible they are.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Agree with most above that mtb journalism is just entertainment rather than any kind of investigative journalism, as Chips points out there is not a massive amount, of thats sort of thing, that would be of any interest.
    The point posters have made before about drugs and cycling/sports is a good one, the whole Operación Puerto case only featured a relatively small number of cyclist compared to the footballer’s and tennis players name connected with the scandal, but there governing bodies and the press didn’t want to know. Jan Ullrich was thrown out of the tour, Rafa Nadal (who was connected, no idea if actually involved) was issued with pitty from the Wimbledon broadcasters.
    But none of that is very going to really appear in a MTB mag as race reports seem to be a thing of the past (apart from Dirt) when I started mountain biking, racing was one of the main things and the athletes were the stars, now the writers are the ‘stars’.
    British MTB mags are just reporting on new tech stuff, which is mostly good these days and “We have ridden here” which in most cases is pretty boring, to me. Even road mags at least have a bit more variation and thus more to ‘report’. But judging by most post of this forum thats what people look for. So don’t blame the mtb press for providing it.

MrAgreeable

I don’t think that MTB magazines are totally uninformative, but like all hobby magazines they are made for enthusiasts, rather than the jaded types you get on here (self included).

You don’t want to be buzzing with enthusiasm about where you’re going to ride or a new bit of kit you’re going to buy, and then pick up a amagazine and read in-depth articles about equipment failures, dodgy sellers or naff sanitised trails.

I think the reason why MBR come in for such a panning (apart from the odd daft statement like “hardtails are dead” that people tweezer out and post up here) is that the tone can be very critical and harsh – not what you want to read if you’ve just bought the bike they’re reviewing.

chakaping
    Free Member

race reports seem to be a thing of the past

MBUK carry quite a few actually, usually pretty readable.

… investigative journalism, as Chips points out there is not a massive amount, of thats sort of thing, that would be of any interest

Well, there’s this for a start.
    http://www.numplumz.com/cal/1.htm

Look at all the “Should I try 1×9”, “Are 29ers any good”, “Which are the best forks” threads on this forum.
    Wouldn’t race reports with pictures or specs of the top riders’ bikes be of interest ? Not just the pros and sponsored riders in international races, but the fast amateurs in club events who buy their own stuff.

Dave
    Free Member

Look at all the “Should I try 1×9”, “Are 29ers any good”, “Which are the best forks” threads on this forum.

Yup, the forum is doing a great job of satisfying that need hey? :o)

tobyho
    Free Member

I want to read about riding bikes.

We all love riding. Like you the few hours a week I get out and ride is essential for me. It gets me through the week. And the reasons why ? There are so many – fitness, time away from the kids, time with my mates, being amongst nature, the thrill of going quick. But there’s something more. Something i can’t put my finger on. It’s almost elemental and I love it.

I want to read about this – I want to read about riding.. Something about the poetry and pain of riding up and down these muddy hills of ours. I will put up with some of the endless kit reviews and recycling of press releases but there must be something more. Or maybe not.

I have long given up on the magazines. Singletrack, I think, want to achieve what I am looking for, but the writers seem a bit too concerned with the ‘Singletrack’ vibe and get blinded by all the kit. I had high hopes for Privateer. Maybe the second edition will deliver.

Oh well. Back to day dreaming about riding.

Dave, the forum’s good for personal opinions about whether 29ers are better than 26ers or not.
    The magazine’s good for press releases from 29er manufacturers.

What about someone who is thinking of buying a 29er and wants to base their decision on evidence though ?
    How about the magazines report on how many of the top riders in the Midlands XC series or Bristol Bike Fest were on 29ers ?
    Same goes for 1×9, 2×10, 15mm axles and so on. Wouldn’t it be nice to know if they really are any better than the alternatives ?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

yes to be fair i forgot about MBUK, which is kind of kiddy-ish but at the same time almost the most rounded of all the magazines out there.
    I agree that “what the pro’s are using” would be interesting and I think there are innovations that are interesting. What I meant is that ‘proper’ journalism, investigating the deeper issues behind the tech stuff is hardly that interesting. I’m not that keen to read about legal deputes over patents.
    I guess I am just stuck in the past (and grumpy)interested in racing and hearing about what goes on, on the international race scene rather than being focused on ‘tech’ and “what tyre for this”. Do wonder if young people getting in to the sport are really inspired to get fit by middle age men compared to when I started wanting looking up to Tim Gould or John Tomac. Feel rather stuck in the past with this attitude rather than the “ramble” scene that seems to hang around here (I mean on here and locally), sometimes feel more in-tune with roadies or runners these days.
    God I am grumpy today!

MrAgreeable

How about the magazines report on how many of the top riders in the Midlands XC series or Bristol Bike Fest were on 29ers ?
    Same goes for 1×9, 2×10, 15mm axles and so on. Wouldn’t it be nice to know if they really are any better than the alternatives ?

Surely the fittest bloke (with a good dose of bike handling skills) is going to win, regardless of how their bike is set up. And the pro teams are going to use what they’re given, or light kit that can be easily damaged.

Also, spare a thought for the poor race officials. I would hate to have to measure everyone’s axle diameter and then put them in their own sub-category.

Surely…

See what I mean ?
    Wouldn’t you like to have some facts based on investigative journalism to back up your speculation ?

Macavity
    Free Member

What is the point of bike mags?

BadlyWiredDog

Is mountain biking really the sort of seething sewer of iniquity, illegality and drug abuse that would justify it being the subject of incessant investigative journalism? What do you want? ‘Top Bike Designer in 29er Sex Romp Shocker!’ ‘British Bike Brand Equipped Sadam’s Army With Singlespeeds!’ ‘Isis Bottom Brackets In Sex And Drugs Orgy Scandal!’

How about the mags launch an in-depth investigation into who the evil genius behind the Isis bottom bracket was and expose the evil conspiracy behind its introduction? We follow the trail of corruption from Utah to the poppy fields of Afghanistan and expose the truth behind chains that don’t work and how the Taliban is fleecing British mountain bikers through shadowy puppet corporations. Blah.

I dunno, call me simple and old fashioned, but I’d simply like to read brilliantly written, inspirational stories about riding bikes in amazing places with interesting people accompanied by stunning imagery. If ‘proper journalism’ is an in-depth investigation of Isis bottom brackets, you can keep it.

dasilva
    Free Member

That’s a decent enough example of taking a race weekend and turning it into a kit report. I’ve not got much against it but having been at the event I would have been more interested in things like why did James Leavesley pass out on the course in the early hours and be taken away in an ambulance? As always there is a lot more that goes on at these races than ever gets reported on.

I thought the build up to races like 24hrs of Exposure on some sites was great as there were profiles of the racers before the event and it was a lot more interesting to know who won when you knew who was who beforehand.

These days there isn’t a lot reported about XC racing and I couldn’t give you more than one or two names of world cup racers. If there was as bit more build up and profiles ahead of the racing though Id be a lot more interested in following it.

Seems as though its a bit uncool to follow XC racing these days though and its the magazines that are as guilty as anyone else for projecting that view.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If ‘proper journalism’ is an in-depth investigation of Isis bottom brackets, you can keep it.

I used ISIS as an example of how stuff that has been proven not to work gets brushed under the carpet in favour of the ‘hey wow isn’t this great’ gushing over ‘the latest big thing’. It seems that all too often it’s Joe Public that gets to do the long term product development and has to pay for the privilige. I’ve worked as an engineer and have seen first hand that many so called advances are really patent avoidance ploys. What I’d like to see the magazines doing more efectively is sorting the good from the bad.

wwaswas

This is a good example of ‘real world’ testing;

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/doc-says-carbon-no-quicker-than-steel

In this case £1000 carbon bike against £50 steel one.

From that article…

Dr Groves feels “evidence based cycling is not high on the bicycle salesman’s agenda.”

😀

james-o
    Free Member

“I’ve worked as an engineer and have seen first hand that many so called advances are really patent avoidance ploys”

yeah good point. blame a bullsh++t US patent system for that. if they worked on European patent criteria half the so-called patents would not exist and we would have a proper open-source system of genuine R+D where a good bike is based on whether you know what to do and why, not whether you can afford to license some dubious patent.

epicyclo

Mostly Balanced – Member
    …I’ve worked as an engineer and have seen first hand that many so called advances are really patent avoidance ploys.

Like just about any rear suspension system 🙂

The interesting thing is if you look at patents from the 1880 – 90s before the pneumatic tyre became universal, then you’ll see an example of almost any of the patented suspension systems.

ctk
    Free Member

I’d like to know what factories in the Far East are making what bikes for who.

epicyclo

Start with Giant. They make a lot of the expensively marketed “superior” bikes from USA.

Which is why it makes sense to buy a Giant – get it from the horse’s mouth as it were.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘is mtb journalism, proper journalism?’ is closed to new replies.