Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Intense Carbine pedal strikes
  • rugbydick

I’ve been riding my Intense Carbine since January and love it.

One thing that I’ve noticed though is that I’m getting a lot more pedal strikes than on the Zesty it replaced.
    I have a feeling that the bike is blowing through the shock’s midstroke as I pedal (it’s a 2012 Fox RP23 with Kashima) which may be making the problem worse.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this?
    PUSH the shock, different shock, accept the carbine has a low BB?

woody2000

Learn not to pedal at times when you’re likely to get pedal strikes? Shorter cranks?

messiah
    Free Member

Get the shock tuned.

rugbydick

Woody,
    That would be great but on technical rocky climbs you don’t have much choice but to keep pedalling…

rhysw
    Free Member

What size can is on the shox?
    If its over size you can replace it was a smaller slimmer one. This helped me on an old Orange 5 i was having the same problem with. It helps the shox sit up more and it will not use the firts part of the travel so easy. You can also pack it with a thicker grease

Schweiz
    Free Member

Use (more) pro-pedal and/or add air. How much sag are you running?

toys19
    Free Member

you do have to time your pedal strokes but the RP23 in my experience does have issues with people of greater stature.. If like me you a significant personal gravitaional effect, then try adding some strips of plastic into the air chamber to reduce its volume and up the compression ratio.

wrecker
    Free Member

coil

rugbydick

Think I’ll have to get it PUSHed and see what that does.

Schweiz. It’s a 2012 shock, so the Pro Pedal “on” position is fully on and not adjustable.
    toys19, I’m still perfecting the technique of “bitch cranking” but it seems to be happening more than on the Zesty. Also, I have bit of a beer storage compartment but I’m still only 76kg 😉

Failing that, I’ll just have to get a Cane Creek…

steve_b77
    Free Member

The air can tuning shims are what you need, very cheap way to sort out this problem

zerocool

As above, try The Fox Volume spacers from Mojo. Supposed to make a difference

Schweiz
    Free Member

If it’s an RP23 then there are 3 levels of propedal. If there’s only on/off then its an RP2.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Rugbydik – If it helps you save money at all, I bought my new Tracer2 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel, it’s amazing… that is all 😀

No pressure… but you should buy one.

rugbydick

Schweiz.
    It’s definitely an RP23.
    Fox changed the Pro Pedal settings for 2012.
    2012 onwards; Pro Pedal is either “on” (as in fully on, no adjustment) or “off” (with the choice of compression damping from 0-3).
    Pre-2012 models were as you describe.

GSuperstar, You’re not helping!! 😀

bluebird
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack. GSuperstar – how is the DB so good? The RP23 on my Tracer2 is pretty good so far.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

bluebird – I’ve never been a massive fan of RP23s, I always thought I liked them until I started using coil shocks.

I always presumed the coil would be hell on uphills as no pro pedal as such, but I found that it tracked loose rocks that well that for my style of riding it actually benefitted me on the ups.

Obviously each to their own and that, but if you ever get the chance to use one I would really urge you to, the weight difference isn’t life threatening and I really think a coil transfers most bikes, especially ones aimed at aggressive all mountain like the Tracer2.

Feel free to email me on my profile addy if you have any other doubts 🙂

TomO

amedias
    Free Member

what is the difference in BB height between the old bike and new?

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pedal strikes on my Carbine but all due to rider error.

I experienced the problem more on my Uzzi when I got it first (but was warned about it before I bought the bike) I pretty quickly got used to it. The first time it happened on the Carbine it was a bit of a surprise but not enough to cause any grief. I quite like the BB height and how it sits in the travel for trail riding, makes it really solid so I don’t mind the occasional pedal strike on the way up.

Also, on the stock RP23 with the Carbine you can dial in some pro-pedal on the open position. Open (flicked to the left) has the choice of 0, 1 or 2 pro-pedal settings. Closed (flicked to the right) is Pro-pedal setting 3. I run mine full open on everything except paved road climbs.

BTW I’m not a huge RP23 fan but I do find he 2012 is an improvement on the 2008 I was running previously. Would love to try a Monarch on the Carbine but don’t want to fork out for a new shock just to try it.

d45yth
    Free Member

I had a Tracer VP (what the carbine’s based on) and these were known to blow through their travel when using a RP23. Whatever you do with the shock still won’t make it perfect. Although reducing the air volume helps a bit.
    If you really want the best performance while still using an air shock, buy a Manitou ISX-6. I’ve seen some very good deals on these in the past, with prices quite a bit under £200. There is plenty of info about setting them up over on MTBR.

rugbydick

I’m starting to err towards a Cane Creek. I should be able to sell the nearly new RP23 for enough to offset the pain of purchasing a CCDB.

Think I’ll get TF Tuned on the phone and see what they say, though.

d45yth
    Free Member

What are you using your bike for? As a long travel trail bike or proper all mountain with big jumps and drops too? Have you gone for carbon for the bling factor or for light-weight? If your using it as a light-weight trail bike do you want to be adding a shock that weighs more than a pound? Out of interest what fork are you using? If your using Lyriks/36’s go for the DB, if your using 32’s or Rockshox equivalent, I’d think twice.

wrecker
    Free Member

Give Nathan a call at Bad Ass bikes. He has a carbine with a CCDB (and possibly the blingiest bike I’ve ever seen)

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

DAMN IT! WE NEED PICS OF THIS SO CALLED CARBINE!

NAWWWWW!
    8)

I find my T2 sits into travel even just sitting on it with loads of psi in the can but then that’s the nature of the VPP.
    I’ll wait till I have actually ridden it like it deserves to be until fitting a volume spacer.

CCDB air looks gopping, expensive and is totally overkill on a Carbine as it’s a more DH orientated shock.

Just tune your RP23 and enjoi.

Kryton57

OMG INTENSE BIKE WALLOWS / BLOWS THROUGH MID TRAVEL SHOCKER

To be honest I had my 5.5 RP23 Pushed and it was fine. My Tracer I didn’t enjoy though, the RP23 was rubbish (symptoms as above) and the replacemeant Vanilla was too “DH” for my requirement of comfortable singletrack riding.

Thats why I ended up with an ASR-5. 😀

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

still happy with my Zesty 🙂 I like to power over thorough the rough stuff like you. Is the BB that much lower or is it an aspect of VPP design?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Stick to your Yeti threads then.

Dino
    Free Member

Shim the air can

Kryton57

onceinalifetime – Member
    Stick to your Yeti threads then.

No need to be bitter. I’ve been through this for a year and this:

I had a Tracer VP (what the carbine’s based on) and these were known to blow through their travel when using a RP23. Whatever you do with the shock still won’t make it perfect. Although reducing the air volume helps a bit.

Is essentially correct. I didn’t like the result. My yeti purchase was a result of 8 weeks of bike testing everything possible to avoid the mistake again – in my case my mistake was assuming that the Tracer rode the same as my 5.5.

My advice to the OP is to talk to TfT about what they can do to firm up the mid stroke, or pump up the shock a bit and sacrifice some travel (which should reappear on big hits).

rugbydick

I’m up in Aberdeen, so my regular trails are anything from Glentress to mini-DH to all day epics in the Highlands.
    All-cross-enduro-mountain DH-Lite is probably the best way to describe it…

I’ve got it built up with Stans Flow rims and Fox 36 160mm forks, if that helps.

What about a DB Air as a kind of halfway house?

Here she is having a shower:

IMAG0145 by rbannist

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I guess the 160mm props it up a little solving the pedal strike?

Kryton57

Looks lovely that RD.

There’s mate of mine with a Tracer w/lyriks also who rides similar trails/style to you and he loves it, the general consensus the two of us cam up with was that design is better on the more bouncy stuff which you are riding on – I’ll try to get him to put in an appearance and comment on his shock setup….

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Evenin’

As kryton says I love my Tracer and usually ride big rocks.

I have no specific advice other than that it being similar to the Tracer it will take a lot I experimentation with sag etc!

The Tracer’s ( and most VPP Intense’s) are infamous for being fiddly to set up; just a tiny bit of extra pressure in the shock can make a big difference.

Tinker extensively before buying a new shock and also ask the guys on the MTBR Intense forum!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Should of put a 😛

omG, thank the lord you got it in the best colour of the 2. 8)
    But white brakes brings it down as for the distant photo.
    WE WANT CLOSE UPS! 😀

rugbydick

Sorry about the photo quality.The raw looks even better in the flesh!

The brakes have red pot covers to match the stem (and the red pins on the DMR Vaults that I’ve just switched to), but they will be changing to Hopes when funds allow.
    Sounds like I may be spending some money with TF Tuned before I get any brakes though…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I really would recommend talking to Intense before TFtuned. The shocks provided with the bikes are tuned to suit them and I’ve heard of people spannering things up further getting a shock tuned to weight and style but not the individual characteristics of the frame; leverage ratios, rising rates and all that..

barzy38
    Free Member

my 5.5 absolutely hammered pedals and was awful to ride, you just couldn’t relax on a pedally bend.
    rp2 was a firm tune, but has now been pushed and although it bottoms easier, there’s far more support in the middle.
    i also got 170 crankarms and point one podiums, 11mm thick as opposed to 20-odd mm with the mg-1’s that were on it.
    it’s quality now, but there’s a magic spot at about 35% sag. the podiums sometimes skim the ground, but their design doesn’t catch like others

goatster
    Free Member

May also be worth looking at the pedals your running, I switched to vaults for a while and found I hit things alot with them. They are pretty wide, I found them to wide and switched to nukeproof protons and now hit things less often.
    Shock wise, can’t help but think a CCDB would be a bit on the heavy side to put on a lightweight bike like a Carbine – not doubting the ccdB but to me it seems to defeat the point of a carbine a little…
    Try the fox shim, a little more air and run it open.
    Not had any complaints on the carbines we have sold up to now so I would try more setting up before a new shock.
    T

dans160
    Free Member

My tracer did the same thing. As they say it is quite common if you are over a certain weight, although I am not sure what that weight is. Either get the shims or get a decent coil shock. I fitted a coil shock, problem solved.

Kryton57

My tracer did the same thing. As they say it is quite common if you are over a certain weight, although I am not sure what that weight is. Either get the shims or get a decent coil shock. I fitted a coil shock, problem solved.

I think the word “decent” here is important. As Dans160 may remember I fitted a Vanilla R on mine to try to cure the issue. It didnt work for me becuase I lost small bump sensitivity (even with a ti coil). I believe thats why the CCDB is so highly recommended on the intense threads, becuase of its almost infinite adjustablity.

Unless you have the availble cash and are happy with coil, I’d still go for the Push first, because as mentioned it made my 5.5 into a fine bike – and is cheaper.

If I’d followed my own advice I’d possibly still be riding my Tracer :-/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Intense Carbine pedal strikes’ is closed to new replies.