Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Inbred cracked chainstay
  • yesiamtom
    Free Member

So i bought a inbred with a cracked chainstay off here – cant complain about it really as it is second hand.

Anyway its an 853 with v-brake mounts and i was planning to build it up as a summer bike. I only paid £60 or so for it so it was pretty cheap. The front end looks fine but the back end will probably need both chainstays replacing at the least.

Can anyone recommend how much im looking at for replacing the back end or just the chainstays? Ive seen Argos do it for something silly like £200!

Im thinking it may be cheaper to either patch it until it breaks or buy a new 853.

Cheers, yesiamtom.

meehaja
    Free Member

A proper frame builder, doing a proper job will cost proper money unfortunatly. you may get it done cheaper than argos, but I can't see it being much less than £100? I'd be tempted to go to a car welder and let them have a go. I know its a completely different skill, but if you want to save money? Failing that contact a local college with a welding class, either learn yourself or slip the teacher some beer tokens?

BigJohn

A local garage welded my chainstay (Cotic Soul) for nothing and it's fine – if a little "blobby".

Find out first what the chainstays are made of – the 853 Soul uses CroMoly chainstays and the cooling down procedure needs to be different from 853.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can point you in the direction of a full frame for £55……….

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

if the frame was sold to you cracked then I would not be shy about complaining

if it cracked soon after you bought it (perhaps the crack was propagating from the inside out) then I see what you mean

I'd call a frame builder and get a quote, but in the end it's probably not worth it, especially as you'll be looking at a respray into the bargain. 200 does sound rather steep though (mate of a mate of mine had a titanium headtube replaced for 250…..)

miketually
    Free Member

Get a car garage to weld it up and the Hammerite it?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Im annoyed the frame had the cracked chainstay and i suppose i could complain, but the way i see it if you buy second hand your taking a risk anyway. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you dont.

freegan – i've not actually ridden it even, i was planning to build it up slowly for a nice summer bike.

Thanks for the input guys, the way i see it i paid so little for the frame id be happy to have the chainstay patched by a welder (as has been advised to me already) and hope to get another year out of it of riding. Then just replace it with a better quality frame which isnt cracked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Inbred cracked chainstay’ is closed to new replies.