Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • If you have an hour…
  • SaxonRider

Watch this.

It is an excellent portrayal of life in Canada from the perspective of two British journalists who take the long route to the Olympics.

It contains absolutely stunning images of the Canadian Rockies, and some stellar and inspiring segments of the crew snowboarding/skiing.

It is well worth every minute, and I would love to know people's response to the lives and activities portrayed.

In a word, it made me miss my motherland.

Enjoy, and let discussion commence.

rs
    Free Member

downloaded it for a watch last night, was a decent hour of tv just to see those parts of the country, the presenters sort of annoyed me a bit as they kept going on about the hunting and one of them kept shouting, so I had to turn the volume down every time he spoke. Then when he thought he could leave his boots out all night 🙄 yes they might be a bit frozen in the morning!

rs
    Free Member

ps what part you from SaxonRider?

brakes
    Free Member

I tried to watch this but found it a bit dull
    probably nothing to do with subject, but the content

SaxonRider

rs – I entirely agree about their seeming obsession with the hunting. They were moderately reasonable about it compared to some UKians I know, but it still got a bit much.

All in all, though, I respected their willingness to get stuck in and actually explore a bit of the country that many people will never do – or even try to understand.

As for me, I was born in the dead centre and moved around a fair bit from East to West, and even quite North.

rs
    Free Member

I like the idea of living in the middle of knowhere, christ after watching that program was even looking at how much land costs! several acres for under $100k sounds good, nice little (or big) log home, mmmmm! just need to work out how i could work from home, currently living in Burnaby but unfortunately my work is generally based around vancouver, need to work on that first!

alpin
    Free Member

outside the uk 🙁

TheDBF
    Free Member

Watched when it went out, great viewing 8)

rs
    Free Member

outside the uk 🙁

torrents 🙂

deft
    Free Member

I had to turn it off, Graham Bell can be alright but Ed Leigh is a terrible presenter. This programme was basically a tourist board sponsored jolly to patronise as many people as possible

alpin
    Free Member

rs – Member

outside the uk 😥

torrents 🙂

please elaborate….

rs
    Free Member

I use this site for finding a lot of uk stuff. http://thebox.bz/main.php

The program above is here http://thebox.bz/details.php?id=111286

Interestingly it also has a billy connolly tour of canada thing which is bound to be much better here

You might need an invite to sign up just now, I have a few if you need it. But you have to keep your ratio of uploads to downloads around 1.0 to keep them happy and me if I invite you. I usually download them whenever and then leave them to upload for other people over night. Have a read up on torrents.

Hairychested
    Free Member

RS, can you invite me please? Email in profile. Thanks!

molgrips
    Free Member

What annoyed me slightly was the apparent attitude of the people who lived up there. "Oh, we're so hard, look at us, you foolish city folk with your silly city ways won't last five minutes up here" etc etc blah blah. That seems to be the attitude of basically everyone who lives outside a city of less than about 100,000 people mind you.

Yes, it's cold. But you have trucks, snowmobiles, a warm house, money, a shop and pretty much all mod cons. Try living even further north with nothing but sticks and stones, then I might be impressed.

Travis

slight drift, anyone hear the program on the most northernest Kebab shop in the world? (somewhere towards the North Pole?) it was on radio 4

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Hmmm, can't download it for some reason, others download ok, maybe later… Or watch it as it comes.
    Am a sucker for BBC landscape kind of stuff though.

Bunnyhop

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme.
    Having visited Canada at least 5 times, it's my second most favourite country, U.K being first! This gave an even better insight into how big it all is.
    The wife of one guy had lived in tent acommadation until 1970 in temperatures upto -40, I think that is 'hard'.

backhander
    Free Member

I enjoyed it immensely.
    I like ed and graham.
    I've just finished a couple of books which may be of interest to you guys;
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Life-Dorian-Amos/dp/1903070309
    thers another which follows on. pretty good read.

rs
    Free Member

Hmmm, can't download it for some reason, others download ok, maybe later… Or watch it as it comes.
    Am a sucker for BBC landscape kind of stuff though.

Tracker, you should watch a show called departures, not sure if you guys get it over there as its a canadian show, the filming is awesome and they go to some really different places. its on oln here and we can watch it online, if you can't you can probably download it somewhere.

rs
    Free Member

RS, can you invite me please? Email in profile. Thanks!

Done, please keep you ratio around 1.0. Thanks.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Good programme I enjloyed it, I really liked ED's SKI's which he could attach together to make a snow board.

billybob
    Free Member

Anyone got an invite for the box.bz

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘If you have an hour…’ is closed to new replies.