Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • if and when it snows car related
  • showerman
    Free Member

has anyone used carsocks or spikespiders to get out of trouble. as i drive a company van they will not fit winter tyres, they will not buy these either but last year was a real pain so want to be prepared this time round.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I just bought some carsocks, so also v interested if this was a sensible purchase or too good to be true…

dyls

Ive bought some carsocks as well as i got stuck last year. Well see if it works!!

If your company really doesn’t care about you being able to drive safely in winter, either stick the van in a wall, or go out of your way to get stuck – that’ll bloody teach em.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, i heard about this product.
    http://www.sprayontyrechain.co.uk/
    but haven’t heard about any reviews.

hora
    Free Member

Harsh but good point. Don’t race to get somewhere on time

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope the car socks work. I’ve just order four.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Purchased a set of snow socks for staff members last year (they finish work at 9pm … Thought it the responsible thing) and they got used a few times. Definately more of a get me home as opposed to drive around, and only before the gritters / graders come out else they’ll wear thru very fast. They do rely on snow sticking to them to work at their best.

I had a set of maggi traks on a jaguar XF while waiting for tyres to arrive and they are sensational. Made the undrivable drivable. Make sure you set up and practice fitting before first snow, but once sorted it’s one bolt, drape over wheel and drive off. Only hassle I had was wheel spin before they settled on the tyre. Very quiet to drive on and rated (I think) to 50mph.

FWD cars will benefit even further with the chains.

onandon
    Free Member

just had some Autosocks delivered £60 from e-bay. They look easy to fit and are great quality.
    If you intends to buy some make sure you get some high quality ones.
    the cheap ones around £30 look shocking – probably better off with a spud sack.

Woody
    Free Member

That snow chain spray looks to be really effective to get you out of trouble.

Could work out expensive though as from the video it doesn’t look like you’d get more than a couple of applications from a £9.99 can!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Just bought some snow socks. Letsbhope they work

Macavity
    Free Member

Snow socks work fine in the snow.
    The problem with them is that if you drive any distance on tarmac (drive out of the snow onto tarmac) then they will just get chewed up. So you will either wear them out very quickly if you leave them on too long, or be stopping to put them on then stopping to take them off then stopping to…..

Which is why winter tyres are a fit and forget, easier, option. Plus winter M+S (mud and snow) tyres can be used virtualy all year round in the UK, they are good for very wet or muddy roads (ie less than ideal road surfaces).

mattyboy24
    Free Member

i have had a pair for two years now and they have been ace in the snow, it is loads of fun steaming up hills past 4×4’s in my audi!

much cheaper and easier than snow chains too!

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’ve used Autosocks in the past and they’ve worked really well on both cars and vans.

If you’re getting some, it’s proably worth getting them soon as everywhere’s sold out when the bad weather’s arrived that past couple of years.

wisepranker
    Free Member

BTW, if you’re after some, I’ve got a couple of sets for sale 😆

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-autosock-snow-socks-for-sale

hora
    Free Member

I would only put socks on as a very last resort. i.e. I’m out and about somewhere and conditions dictate its either I stay there/leave the car there the night or I fit them. NOT just because its been snowing/theres snow on the ground.

So – pack them in the boot along with two sleeping bags and a couple of warm coats and leave them there.

will
    Free Member

That spray on stuff looks good. I’d try that!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plus winter M+S (mud and snow) tyres

Actualy, it’s German for snow and slush.

ski
    Free Member

do autosocks work on compacted, icy snow on slopes?

showerman
    Free Member

some good comments seems we are all getting them but have never used them
    a few silly comments i would not expect anything less
    wisepranker good offer but need a 645

good luck in the snow everyone

wisepranker
    Free Member

wisepranker good offer but need a 645

What tyre size are they for?

I’ll check the ones I’ve got and see if they are suitable as there’s some overlap in the sizes as far as I’m aware.

grantway
    Free Member

showerman – Member
    has anyone used carsocks or spikespiders to get out of trouble. as i drive a company van they will not fit winter tyres, they will not buy these either but last year was a real pain so want to be prepared this time round.

I take it your not in London !

showerman
    Free Member

wisepranker
    thanks for that but have bit the bullit and have brought a pair before the rush starts
    grantway
    try not to go within the M25

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘if and when it snows car related’ is closed to new replies.