Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ibis Mojo SL ; Intense Spider 2 or ????
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

Currently I’m riding a rocky mountain ETS-X 2005; I”m looking to upgrade just the frame and am contemplating both of the above. Most of my riding is in the foothills of the rocky mountains (I live in Calgary currently) but it isn’t like further West. The trails are technical singletrack in the main and are mostly rideable up / down. The climbs can be significant.

The components I’ve got on the Rocky are somewhat driving my frame choice. I have fitted a Talas 140-100m fork and I also want a QR rear wheel as I have a nice set of DT wheels which I don’t want to part with. So far (after far too much time / mental consideration) I’ve got the Intense Spider 2 and the Ibis Mojo SL as options. Here is how I see it:

Mojo SL:
    Lightweight
    Steep headangle
    Short in the top tube (this is important to me as I have a short torso)
    No option for water bottles (I do use one occasionally)

Spider 2:
    Cheaper (about $700CDN less than a Mojo SL frame)
    Slacker head angle
    Poor mud clearance?
    Heavier

Anybody riding a Mojo SL comment on the mud clearance? Any other options I should consider? Any one riding the Spider 2

yeti ARC-5 — Too long in the top-tube; just doesn’t fit me basically
    Blur TRc – Too expensive even in Canada!!
    Bandit – Too heavy / hard to get hold off.

Cheers

wrecker
    Free Member

Carbine?

sambob
    Free Member

Mojo HD140? Not sure if it’s QR though
    Giant Trance with a bigger fork/Reign?
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo (maybe carbon)? Not sure on dropouts again

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    lostboysaint
    Free Member

Bandit too heavy? Interesting comment. My XL with a fairly robust build (I’m a big bloke) comes in sub 28lb.

Didn’t have a problem with finding it either. Speak to the Surf Sales guys and they’ll sort you out.

titusrider
    Free Member

Mojo SL rider here:

really really sweet bike, fast as anything, my fairly normal build is about 26lbs without trying too hard and has been ragged all over the uk and alps. Have run it with both 140mm front and 160mm and both are great, more of an xc bike with 140, more of a hooligan with 160mm (obviously!)

Mud clearance is ‘not brilliant’ once you have a good bit of chainstay protection going on and 2.35 highrollers (which are quite small really) however never actually been a problem for me. Could do a pic if you really want?

the only other comment id make is how heavier are you and how agressive are you? I am only 10.5 st but a pretty aggressive DH’er I do notice some very minor flex. if you are heavier than me and still corner hard you might be better off with something stiffer (maybe the SL-r?). (this is compared to a turner 5 spot for instance which i couldnt budge but the frame weight saving is massive!)

Piccys of mine here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-us-yer-mojoshds

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments; interesting reading. I’m 6ft and weight 75kg so I’m not a heavy rider by any means and I’m quite wheels on the ground.

Carbine – Suspect not enough of the components I have (BB / Mech etc) will swap onto a carbine inscreasing the costs

Trance / Reign – Would like a Trance X but in Canada they don’t sell frame only and to get simmilar components to what I have on the ETS-X is more expensive than just buying a frame.

Specialized – Never, ever. Other half as a Specialized which has been a nightmare of warranty returns etc. Put me off for life.

Mach 5.7 – Perhaps – Not considered those – liked the look of the Mach 5 but was too slow.

Bandit frame is 3kg ; Ibis Mojo is 2kg so hence too heavy comment. But it is much cheaper over here in Canada.

Cheers for the thoughts

wrecker
    Free Member

Carbine – Suspect not enough of the components I have (BB / Mech etc) will swap onto a carbine inscreasing the costs

Your buying a £2K frame and you’re worried about the price of a front mech and BB? Nutter!
    What about a flux?

Hadge
    Free Member

Having ridden long term an SL I bought a Turner 5 Spot DW Link and if you find the Yeti ASR5 too long then the Turner will be ideal for you. It’s bang up to date, suspension technology wise and is built from good old alloy which when it suffers from a few scrapes can be re-painted unlike carbon frames. They are both (SL & 5 Spot) very very good frames and work very well indeed.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ah – but it isn’t a 2K GBP frame in Canada – I can get a Intense Spider 2 for $1900 which is closer to 1.2k GBP. But I do take your point 😀 Components are actually more expensive as well so the calculation is a little bit more tricky.

Have considered a flux but… 120mm max and I have a 140mm fork already; plus the new flux’s have a bolt through rear hub which makes it more complicated. Agree though – perhaps I should just buy a flux with a new fork as well 😳

rickmeister

Gratuitous self indulgent post….

Talas forks wound down…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo SL ; Intense Spider 2 or ????’ is closed to new replies.