• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I think I bought the wrong size bike oops (Orange Five)
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

I bought an orange five 18″ after demoing it but now that I have put my own shiny bits on it feels on the small side I feel as though I need an extra inch of room especially uphill downhill its fine it also seems the front end is very low. Is there much difference between the 20″ and 18″. i’m 6 1″ with a inside leg of 32″. I run 70mm stem 8 degree rise with 740mm bars 1/2″ rise.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

its the right size for you, it really is, 🙂 have fun on it!!

carbon337
    Free Member

Im 5’10 with 31″ inside leg and run an 18 – sounds like your on right size IMO.

cabbage84
    Free Member

I just feel like im perched on top of it when pedalling. Downhill its awesome as im off the seat and its lowered. Just contemplating buying a 20″ if it would be better

rewski
    Free Member

Depends on your body shape.

cabbage84
    Free Member

I thought about a layback seatpost but dont think I could live without my reverb now. I think my problem is quite a long torso

igorl
    Free Member

Body shape and your preference. Some like smaller frames, some larger (for same body size/shape). You also get used to it (if it does not cause pain etc.). I actually prefer smaller frame for climbing (albeit technical) as well (+ 50mm stem, will go to 35 mm).

M6TTF
    Free Member

id have gone large

cabbage84
    Free Member

I really just wanted to know if there was much difference in the two sizes before I drove 100 mile to demo a 20″

LoCo
    Free Member

Had a 20″ frame, (6’3″) 34″ leg, albeit a Patriot 66, was ok for climbing and general singletrack, but a bit of a handful and just too big to chuck about on downhills, only bike I have ever got wedged on a bermed swithback (upper section Cwmcarn black DH), so an 18″ sounds ok to me TBH. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wide bars? 760’s make my bikes feel about an inch longer than 685’s.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 6ft 2″ and had a 18″ it’s the right size frame, wrong size wheels, all my 26″ bikes felt like I was perched on them, which was the main reason for trying a 29 er

rickon
    Free Member

80mm stem, drop the bars slightly, and shift the saddle back on the rails.

That’ll increase reach by about 20mm to the bars + whatever your saddle will give. You’ll get an inch out of that.

Better to make your current 5 fit you, than to buy a bigger one and waste a load of time and money.

I ride 20″ XC race bikes and 18″ play bikes, the shorter bike feels so wrong after being on the race bike, but after 5 minutes it feels so right. Get out and ride it more, you’ll figure out it’s perfect for you 😉

Taff
    Free Member

You have more control over the bike if it’s on the smaller side of the recommended sizes. I’m in between sizes and opted for the medium rather than large and although there are instances where I wish I had a large mine is fun and flackable. I’ve ridden the large as well and it was a farm gate which was fine for pedalling but rubbish for everything else

cabbage84
    Free Member

Taff that is what I was basically wanting to know do you compromise the downs and fun bits or go for better pedalling on the long slogs uphill. I guess i better get used to the cramped climbing for the grin inducing descending

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 3 and have an 18″ with 760 bars and 55mm stem. Horses for courses, its not great uphill but they’re only short uphills (surrey hills) and i find it fine. The payback is on the downhill where it feels perfect size wise whereas the 20″ Inbred i had felt like I was riding a gate. Depends on what riding you bought it for; cross country then you probably want the 20″, general dicking around then the 18″ works for me and is what the five does best imo.

Edit…when i moved from the inbred i thought the same re size, you get used to the different riding position for the uphills.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It sounds too small for you but the 20″ will be too big.

You need a 19″ 😉

JonR
    Free Member

The title of this thread would make much more sense without the word “size” in it.

amphibian
    Free Member

Cabbage, I hate to say it but I’m exactly the same dimensions as you (also with a long torso) and after demoing the 18″ and 20″, I was sure the larger frame with a short stem was the right one. Then again, it’s all subjective I suppose…

scottalej
    Free Member

Longer stem, try 90mm. I’m 5’11” and use a 85mm Easton Vice on mine.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Longer stems not really an option 70mm is the longest I will ride anything longer makes the steering feel weird imo. I guess i will just persevere and if I still find it awkward in a month i’ll just buy the bigger size

dseenya
    Free Member

I’m just over 6 foot and ride am 18″ five, 70mm stem, 711mm bars. Perfect for me.

spooky_b329

Don’t get a Thomson layback post if you think it will give a roomier cockpit…it may be a layback but the saddle clamp prevents the saddle sliding as far back as most posts. I got a Salsa post in the end.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve decided today having ridden my brother in laws anthem that I need a bigger bike. I was a lot quicker on his despite mine being flickable on the jumps. Although I may also be using it slightly as an excuse for a 29er too…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I think I bought the wrong size bike oops (Orange Five)’ is closed to new replies.