Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HTC Desire as satnav – what cradle?
  • sadexpunk

looks like it works a treat as a satnav but need some sort of cradle for it.

anyone here using it in the car, and if so, what cradle are you using?

ive got a charger for it, but its a coiled one from amazon and my fag lighters behind the handbrake so its a ickle bit short. hopefully id still get away with using it, but dont some cradles come with chargers anyway?

cheers

ojom
    Free Member

druidh says:

Chargers…

Watch out. The Desire will drain its battery if only drawing 0.5A, which it will from most car chargers. The genuine HTC one is wired so that the Desire thinks it’s a mains charger and will draw the full 1A.

Cougar

Brodit cradles are regarded as ‘the best’ by my petrol-head colleagues.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

As above, needs a 1A charger. Maplin do a fag lighter to USB socket for about £6 that will take any USB cable to charge the phone, so you can get a nice long one. Belkin do too but due to the rounded instead of tapered base, it doesn’t work in every fag lighter.

I got one of these (different seller) and it works really well on my vents but adjustment is a bit limited so if your vents are on an angle you may not get it perfectly aligned.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Vent-Mount-HTC-Desire-/130390107228?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item1e5bdb245c

sadexpunk

just been out to look at my charger, fully expecting a cheapy to be 0.5A then. and pleasantly surprised to see its got 1.5A written on it!!
    not being au fait with leccy, im still assuming thats even better than 1A?

gravity-slave, how does that work then with the ‘fag lighter to USB’ that will take any usb cable? as the desire has a teenyweeny usb socket that isnt universal. you got a link to it so i can try and get my head round it? 🙂

and ill go for a google on brodits, see what theyre about thanks 🙂

cheers

EDIT: ooh also meant to ask about that cradle for the vents. wouldnt a dash or windscreen one be better? just thnking youd have to look down to read it, rather than just a quick glance ‘sideways’ if its in view? ive got one of those weighted suction pad things for my dash so id prefer to use that i think.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Like this:

I’ve got a couple of retractable cables, so I can do this:

to charge own phone, work phone, headcam, bluetooth earpiece all off the fag lighter.

sadexpunk

ah right, neat. but i assume you need to buy seperate cables still for each phone.
    if im correct with my 1.5A charger tho, then i wont need one. just the cradle.

Shred
    Free Member

The HTC Desire uses a Micro USB connection, which is a standard USB port, just an annoying one that lots of shops know nothing about.

GrahamS

I got a “Mini Arkon IPM515” for mounting my iPhone in the car – works well and looks alright too.

~ £7 from amazon.

MtbRoutes

I use the Belkin car 12v/USB adaptor, a 1.8m USB->micro USB cable, and the ‘Modern Tech’ suction holder from Amazon. Works great.

l45key
    Free Member

I bought this one off Ebay, came with a charger too. Works a treat.

Desire Car Mount

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

l45key does that work as a hands free then as well? since I was just thinking about getting a hands free kit and was also wondering about sat nav as I’ve used it a few times but it’s normally lying by the gear box which is a tad annoying.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HTC Desire as satnav – what cradle?’ is closed to new replies.