Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • HT or FS 29er?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I think 29er is the way to go for me. Riding mainly singletrack nothing to technical but manage to getup to the lakes 4/5 times a year and then occasional trips to Wales and the peaks etc. Any thoughts anyone?

weeksy

IMO for days at Wales a HT 29er is a bit.. EWWWWWW. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done, of course it can. But the FS is a bit ‘nicer’.

Running lower pressures, the HT 29er feels more like an older XC FS bike… but not quite a nice new plush FS.

I’d happily ride my Giant 29er HT over any trailcentre… but i also bought a Bionicon as i’d MORE happily ride that 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

If you would ride a 26HT in those locations then maybe.
    The “29HT behaving like a 1 inch travel FS” talk is bollocks.
    Its still a hardtail.
    I would personally ride a FS anything in the places you speak of.

weeksy

No Hugor, it’s actually no bollox at all.

convert

Got one (a nice niner sir9) – it rides like a HT, not a FS. Because it is a HT not a FS!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Look at trail oriented hardtails like the Kona Honzo & Canfield Yelli Screamy etc, there are very few locations that you will be overbiked on one of them.

Edit: this “feels like FS” stuff is bollox, it feels like a bike with big wheels!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Edit: this “feels like FS” stuff is bollox, it feels like a bike with big wheels!

Agreed, although I do think a 100mm 29er FS feels as capable as a 120mm 26er, but again, that’s not that same as feeling like it actually has more travel.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d get one of them.

My 29’er HT rides just like a bike with wheels on it, but I wouldn’t ride it where I’d pick my 26’er FS

singletracksurfer

you don’t say where you ride for the rest (most) of the time?

Buy it for the majority of your riding, so I’d say a hardtail. You’ll have great fun and improve your technical abilities when you get to go on trips.

p.s. agree with Gary. a 29er is more capable/easier on rougher stuff than a 26er, effectively giving you the advantage an extra 20mm or so of suspension would over a 26er.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

A hardtail can ride anything a FS can, so the FS arguments never do really work or make sense, ..just youtube the downhill courses being ridden by them says enough.

But FS is about comfy arse while on saddle, so if you going to ride all day long ect then your arse might well forgive you more by buying a FS.

perthmtb
    Free Member

A hardtail can ride anything a FS can, so the FS arguments never do really work or make sense

I entered a race a month back, and was convinced it was the kind of fast and flowing course that would be ideal for my hardtail. However, I thought I’d test it out anyway, and timed myself over the course riding my hardtail and FS. To my surprise I was faster on the FS, and also felt in better control. It was nothing to do with comfort, but instead the fact that the FS had both wheels on the ground more of the time giving me traction, and I was able to power thru the rough spots in a sitting position rather than get my bum off the seat.

My hardtail is now up for sale…

thomthumb
    Free Member

I entered a race a month back, and was convinced it was the kind of fast and flowing course that would be ideal for my hardtail. However, I thought I’d test it out anyway, and timed myself over the course riding my hardtail and FS. To my surprise I was faster on the FS, and also felt in better control.

that’s fine if fast= better. for lots of people more fun = better. 😀

perthmtb
    Free Member

You forgot I said “faster and in more control”. And yes, to me that = better, and a helluva lot more fun. But, if slower and less in control is what rings your bell, then go for it…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

HT 29er all that way.

Unless you can afford the new Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon

clubber
    Free Member

hugor – Member
    The “29HT behaving like a 1 inch travel FS” talk is bollocks.
    Its still a hardtail.

Indeed it is. I do think on bumps up to say 3″ (eg rocks/roots) a 29er HT feels a lot like a 100mm travel 26″ FS though. Over bigger bumps then it’s unquestionably like a HT. YMMV

Toasty

On smaller bumps I feel a lot less chucked around on my 29er rigid, than I used to on my Stumpy HT with 80mm forks, I’d put it down to the attack angle stuff (that seems to have died out now 🙁 ), they certainly hold speed rolling over stuff better though.

I don’t think anyone is trying to sat a HT feels like a 100mm FS, but in terms of how forgiving they are I’d say they’re about level pegging.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘HT or FS 29er?’ is closed to new replies.