Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How quickly can I get to see a decent physio?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ideally a free one, but if it has to cost then so be it.

Need to sort my knees out quick smart.

Thanks.

wwaswas

If you go private probably today. NHS was a 6 week wait for me last time following a hospital referral (although I jumped the queue the time before that after a broken hip).

Where are you lookign to find one?

ericemel
    Free Member

Last time I saw one privately same day

NHS will be drawn out..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oxfordshire. How much might I expect to pay for a private session?

yunki
    Free Member

I had a two month wait after a GP referral.. I kicked up stink and demanded a second opinion from another GP and got an emergency referral.. this resulted in wait of four working days..

wwaswas

depends… probably £40-£60 for a first appt of about an hour? drops after that as they don’t need to spend so long.

higgo
    Free Member

As above, private = same/next day.

I’m fortunate in the my work pays for my physio, regardless of whether it’s work or sport related and I can self-refer.

In the last eight years I reckon I’ve had six courses of treatment, none of which were work-related (4 running, 1 ski, 1 MTB (rotater cuff muscles in shoulder after crash))

iDave
    Free Member

try a university sports centre(s) – is there a uni in Oxfordshire?

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the problem?

Physios can be a mixed bag for cycling injuries, so it seems.

woody2000

My good lady is a physio, and charges about £60 for the initial consultation, then about £40 per session after that. Ooop North though

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A Uni? In Oxfordshire? I’ll have a google… 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Local football club usually has someone who’s quite good with sports injuries and they usually freelance too

You’ll be wanting a 3rd/4th division [or whatever it’s called now] sort of team though as the big boys will have permanent staff

Rugby clubs etc too

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pain in the knees… seemed ok after a few days of LEJOG but jsut hurt it again doing something down the gym. Had various knee pains for a while so think I should just see if it’s an imbalance or something.

£40 to £60 doesn’t seem to bad… as long as I don’t need too many sessions!

molgrips
    Free Member

What knee pain?

Patellofemoral syndrome is common after lots of riding, and a friend of a friend had their knee royally messed up by a physio who thought it was something else…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

TSY, email in profile. Am a podiatrist and may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction…….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

+ 1 for private…you’ll wait ages for one on the NHS, and you can’t be injured for the summers plans.

Pretty much same day ime, unless you have a preference for who you see – my physio is often fully booked whereas others in the same physio centre aren’t. Up here its something like £47 for inital appointment and then about £40 for follow up…but i get a discount so not actually sure of cost 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

4-6 weeks is a usual nhs wait for a routine referral. Round our way urgent nhs means within 2 weeks. I paid £37 privately for an inital appointment but I’m oop norf so it will be cheaper cos thatcher closed all the pits.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’ve used these several times but are in Northampton. Last time I used them it was £45 for 45 minutes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Self referral drop-in sessions at our local NHS physio, so a couple of hours if you’re on the right day?

£30 for private sports physio, £25 an hour through work.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Captain… YGM 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Self referral drop-in sessions at our local NHS physio

Bloody hell! Can we have some of your physios please, you seem to have too many!

teadrinker
    Free Member

I misread this as “Phsyco”, content wasn’t what I was hoping for.

Hope your knees get better soon.

docrobster
    Free Member

or even psycho?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Turkish massage in the meantime? 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes please… your place or mine? Try no to tickle me again though 🙂

And no touching me in the rudies!

_tom_
    Free Member

NHS take ages to get you an appointment and I found they weren’t very thorough in the treatments as they’re very busy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What happens on the table, stays on the table.

marp
    Free Member

oxford brookes does physio i think (not sure how good it is though…) as everyone else has said couple of days for private and 40 ish quid.

If you were nearer london i could recommend a very good physio, has a PhD in knees and has a nice little practise in dorking (i’m also a PhD physio)

Northwind

On NHS I waited 4 weeks but only because there was a healing period first to stop the exercises pulling the bolts out, would have been immediate otherwise. Though that was a different situation, it does seem like they use the approach “if it’s been like this for a while then it’s not urgent”

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How quickly can I get to see a decent physio?’ is closed to new replies.