Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How much to turf 7m x 8m area?
  • Legoman
    Free Member

What’s a reasonable quote for turfing an area of this size.
    No extra topsoil needed, small amount of existing turf to be removed (<10% of total area) to square it off, the rest needs minimal levelling.

I’ve been quoted around £750. No idea if this is the going rate, but it’s a bit more than I was thinking.

Whaddayareckon?

Suggsey
    Free Member

56m2

Harry_the_Spider

56m²

£750 sounds a lot.

Shadow
    Free Member

£450 at the most

ebygomm
    Free Member

We paid £240 for 10x6m earlier this year (east midlands)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The ground will need work. Also why do you assume no extra topsoil needed? A quality turf costs £3/m2. That job above at 60m2 / £240 is a joke…and from looking at it I guess you get what you pay for.

I’d be at least £750. But then I’d probably not be fussed about getting the job as I’m so busy! But a proper lawn lay needs proper prep work if you want a good, level, healthy green lawn that lasts properly.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

As above, you will get what you pay for. If you only want a quick,uneven mud bath then you might as well have a go at it yourself.

Legoman
    Free Member

Glasgowdan – no extra topsoil was what the guy who quoted said (reputable local company)
    It will need some leveling work, but I’ve done a lot of the prep myself as was originally planning to seed it.

He reckoned 2 guys would do it in a day, hence I thought the price sounded a bit high

konabunny
    Free Member

A bit high for two days of labour and materials?

What does a day’s labour cost in the UK now?

ebygomm
    Free Member

1 month later

I just wanted some grass and that’s what we’ve ended up with, I know we just got cheap and cheerful but it’s perfectly adequate for us.

rob2
    Free Member

That looks ok I reckon

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Every ‘trade’ has folk telling you that you need to do things a certain way, in reality, it’s bloody grass, not a bowling green. Get it lifted yourself, a day running back and forth to the tip with the turf. couple of tons of topsoil down, level it as best you can and turf will be readily available for about two quid a metre. Lots of watering for a few weeks.

200 quid tops and two days work, 550 quid to spend on bike stuff. 😀

geoffj

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Every ‘trade’ has folk telling you that you need to do things a certain way, in reality, it’s bloody grass, not a bowling green. Get it lifted yourself, a day running back and forth to the tip with the turf. couple of tons of topsoil down, level it as best you can and turf will be readily available for about two quid a metre. Lots of watering for a few weeks.
    200 quid tops and two days work, 550 quid to spend on bike stuff.

This ^^

johndoh
    Free Member

Bung some bloody grass seed on. Unfortunately a bit too late for this year though – do it in the autumn ready for next year.

BigJohn

Ladbrokes should be able to tell you. They’re turf accountants.

ekul
    Free Member

We paid £180 for 60m2 last month, we laid it ourselves and it’s rooted really well, needs cutting about twice a week at the moment though which can be a bit annoying! That was without any real topsoil, just what we dug out of another area of the garden. I’d out a pic on but have literally no idea how!

squirrelking
    Free Member

The ground will need work. Also why do you assume no extra topsoil needed? A quality turf costs £3/m2. That job above at 60m2 / £240 is a joke…and from looking at it I guess you get what you pay for.

I’d be at least £750. But then I’d probably not be fussed about getting the job as I’m so busy! But a proper lawn lay needs proper prep work if you want a good, level, healthy green lawn that lasts properly.

OP’s 7×8 £123 +VAT from a local supplier for their premier stuff, £95 +VAT for hard wearing. Having seen their fields it looks like good stuff.

But yeah, proper prep is the key, I reckon I’m gonna have to excavate a load of clay from mine or dig in soakaways , not decided yet. Gonna be a bawache either way

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How much to turf 7m x 8m area?’ is closed to new replies.