• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by gee.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much should I spend on a headset?
  • stonster
    Free Member

Ok, I have a budget for building up a bike of about £300 – £400, although I have some bits already. Question is, how much should I spend on a headset? What should I look out for and should I risk a second hand one?

Thoughts please!

angryratio
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£35 for either a FSA MX or Cane Creek S3, FSA and CC headsets are both made under licence by TH industries so essentialy the same headsets.

Spending more money the S8 is a good option (its an S3 with stainles steel bearings), but borderline Chris King money. Hope are good if you want to keep it local(ish).

The more you spend the longer it’ll last, but arround £35 seems to be the difference between having to service it every month and only needing a smear of grease on the seals every so often to keep the worst of the rust at bay.

soma_rich
    Free Member
    binners

You need look no further than soma_rich’s link. Bomb-proof bargain

brassneck

You need look no further than soma_rich’s link. Bomb-proof bargain

3rd’d. Got them on all my bikes so I can steal relatively fresh bearings from the commuter whilst new ones are on order.

Milkie
    Free Member

Cane Creek S3 for £23 CRC

DezB
    Free Member

You need look no further than soma_rich’s link

£22 @ CRC

Although I’d go for the £25 XLII personally.

stonster
    Free Member

is it ever worth going 2nd hand?

DezB
    Free Member

is it ever worth going 2nd hand?

Yeah, some people sell on high-end ones like King and Hope still in good condition.

gee
    Free Member

Used King, £50 on here. It’ll work forever.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much should I spend on a headset?’ is closed to new replies.