Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • How much should I charge for keep!!
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I have am 18 year old daughter who will be bringing home approximately £775-£800 a month!
    How much should I charge for keep?
    Cheers

glupton1976
    Free Member

Depends if you’re wanting her to move out or not.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

£150ish?

Need to teach her the value of renting.

You could always charge more, save some and give it back to her when she moves out to help with bonds/deposit.

aa
    Free Member

£400 for the room, then, an equal share of all the bills.
    Prepare her for rhe future! 😉

wolfrider
    Free Member

Bout 120 seems fair to me.

withersea
    Free Member

£50 a week, save half of it for her and give it to her when wants to move out/buy a house

MSP

Less than 200 and she’s not learning the responsibility of contributing, more than 300 is starting to lessen the benefits of being employed. So 250 to start with.

dazh

I find it rather bizarre this concept of parents charging their offspring to live in the family home. Whilst I appreciate the need to educate them about standing on their own two feet etc, it smells a bit of opportunistic profiteering to me. At the very most get them to do the odd weekly shop and contribute something to the bills, or put it aside for them to be refunded at a later date as someone else suggested.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Surely it depends on what your bike needs?

MSP

I find it rather bizarre this concept of parents charging their offspring to live in the family home. Whilst I appreciate the need to educate them about standing on their own two feet etc, it smells a bit of opportunistic profiteering to me. At the very most get them to do the odd weekly shop and contribute something to the bills, or put it aside for them to be refunded at a later date as someone else suggested.

So you go and work a 40 hour week, and pay for your childs upkeep, and your (adult) child works a 40 hour week and contributes nothing to their own upkeep, now that is a bizarre viewpoint.

Drac

it smells a bit of opportunistic profiteering to me.

I’m not sure you understand the term profiteering.

Edric64
    Free Member

They are adults and earning so they pay their way?How else do they learn the value of money?Otherwise you are working hard whilst they piss it all up the wall.I had a lazy stepdaughter who paid sod all and spent all her free time loafing around as she refused to work more than 20 hours a week

dazh

and your (adult) child works a 40 hour week and contributes nothing to their own upkeep, now that is a bizarre viewpoint.

For christ’s sake, they’re 18! Let them have some fun. They have an entire life of working, drudgery and mundanity ahead of them, there’s plenty time for learning the boring things in life like paying bills etc..

MSP

Why not let the parents have some fun? They just spent the past 20 years raising you, they are still subsidising your life, but maybe now they have a small chance to afford some of the things they haven’t been able to for a very long time.

matt_outandabout

Less than 200 and she’s not learning the responsibility of contributing, more than 300 is starting to lessen the benefits of being employed. So 250 to start with.

^seems right to me.

For christ’s sake, they’re 18! Let them have some fun Let them spend all their money, thinking that everyone has massive disposable income. They have an entire life of working, drudgery and mundanity ahead of them, there’s plenty time for learning the boring things in life[b]getting a shock when they cannot manage money for important things like[/b] paying bills etc as they spent it all on cars, beer and clothes..

FTFY

dazh

I’m not sure you understand the term profiteering.

So presumably if they don’t pay up you sling them out on the streets like any other landlord? And why start at 18? KIds can earn money well before that. Why wait til they’re 18 before teaching them the valuable lesson that even the closest family relationships are secondary to financial gain?

bearnecessities

This has potential for many pages; massively subjective with way too many unknown variables for a clean answer.

£850. Tell her she can pay the deficit when she earns over £21k.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Charged ours 33% of their take home pay…… put it all in an account and told them they could have it for house deposit etc..

One used it for house, other used it to start own business…… never regreted doing it.

_tom_
    Free Member

I give my dad £150 a month and pay for all my own shopping, car etc. I’m very appreciative of this as rent anywhere else is at least double what I’m paying!

dazh

Why not let the parents have some fun? They just spent the past 20 years raising you, they are still subsidising your life, but maybe now they have a small chance to afford some of the things they haven’t been able to for a very long time.

That’s obviously were I’m going wrong. I didn’t realise that having kids was transactional. I’d best start the spreadsheet now so I can claim it all back in 15 years time 🙄

Edric64
    Free Member

So they get to 18 and you are worse off.Child benefit goes and they contribute nothing?If I hadnt paid up my mum would have kicked me out .I paid £20 a week out of £45 take home.

MSP

So presumably if they don’t pay up you sling them out on the streets like any other landlord? And why start at 18? KIds can earn money well before that. Why wait til they’re 18 before teaching them the valuable lesson that even the closest family relationships are secondary to financial gain?

Your not making money out of them, your only subsidising their upkeep rather than footing the whole bill.

Your not waiting till their 18, they start contributing when they start earning, that might be leaving school at 16 or when they earn a phd at 25.

That’s obviously were I’m going wrong. I didn’t realise that having kids was transactional. I’d best start the spreadsheet now so I can claim it all back in 15 years time

is there some gazillion facepalm picture available.

matt_outandabout

Eyepic – I like that idea.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The parents chose to have children, the children did not chose to be born.

jfletch
    Free Member

If you need the money then by all means charge them the additional costs that them living in your house causes but if you don’t need the cash to live or are making a profit then that seems a bit off to me.

Edric64
    Free Member

So when my relationship failed a couple of years ago at 47 could I have moved back home and sponged of my aging parents?

MSP

Has any parent ever in the history of the world made a profit from charging their ADULT kids some upkeep.

MSP

So when my relationship failed a couple of years ago at 47 could I have moved back home and sponged of my aging parents?

47, dazh will still be at home sponging of his parents at that age.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

How much should I charge for keep!!

30%
    seems fair

robdob
    Free Member

Charging a third seems reasonable. I would say to them I’m going to save a proportion of it for when they move out (for a deposit/business etc). But I would say If they were on time, every time, with the “payment” I’d give it all back with whatever interest it had gained. If they were late a lot id reduce the proportion. Would teach money management, the value of saving, keeping up with payments etc.

scaled
    Free Member

When I was 18 I paid about £350 (out of £1200) a month and was commuting into London on the train. I still had enough money to get wrecked pretty much every night of the week.

Turns out they’d saved every penny and gave it all back to me when I finished uni, god knows how they kept it quiet!

It really depends on her outgoings, transport costs, phone bills etc – You should probably decide a ball park figure for her to have as disposable income to piss up the wall and the rent can be her savings.

Doug
    Free Member

What I paid was 1/3rd basic take home pay but they saved everything over what extra it cost them for me to stay at home for a house deposit. No need renegotiate when I got a pay rise. When I got a better job they just saved more for me until I was earning enough that it made financial sense to get my own place. Win/win.

Edric64
    Free Member

My stepson on the other hand was allowed to pay little because he was saving for a house .It worked he bought one with his Girlfriend and moved out

dazh

That’s a silly example. As you well know there’s an enormous difference between 47 and 18. I’m not suggesting they don’t contribute, on the contrary. I’m just saying that charging them ‘rent’ is a bit cold and formal. As far as I’m concerned it’s their home as much as mine, they have a right to live there. If they want to contribute, great, (not that I’d take it though) if not then I’m not going to throw them out.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Similar situation, the eldest lad is back from uni and work is looking promising , so we have told him that when he is earning he can pay a quarter of the house hold bills …. as there is 4 of us in the house, thought that was fair? ,hes now 21 and not a baby any more so why should i keep him ? …. I payed my way from the first week i ever worked and want my kids to learn the value of money ….

MSP

I’m not suggesting they don’t contribute

That’s exactly what you have been suggesting 😆

dazh

47, dazh will still be at home sponging of his parents at that age.

That would be preferable to being lender of last resort 🙂

dazh

That’s exactly what you have been suggesting

err, to quote myself…

At the very most get them to do the odd weekly shop and contribute something to the bills, or put it aside for them to be refunded at a later date as someone else suggested.

I think you’re possibly misunderstanding the subtlety of my point.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m not suggesting they don’t contribute
    That’s exactly what you have been suggesting

Not how I read it.

edit: beaten to it.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

It all sounds very idealistic talking of giving it back, blah, blah, blah …..etc………..bollocks if you`re 18 in work, pay your way sunshine, time to grow up and while your at it the lawn needs a trim, your Mother and I are off for a pub tea with that dosh you handed over !!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘How much should I charge for keep!!’ is closed to new replies.