• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keef.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How much racing at SSUK?
  • roblerner
    Free Member

I'm considering buying an entry from the classifieds but the SSUK website seems a little vague with some details…(or I just can't find it)

What's the (rough) length of the race? How many laps/how long would I be riding for?

Where exactly is it? Cymru is a big place. I'd probably be getting a train, but can't tell from the site where exactly it is – does anyone have road directions so I can work out if a train is possible?

Thanks

tommid
    Free Member

You have obviously never been to an SSUK before. There is some riding and some drinking racing is prohibited. You'll just end up coming 4th like everyone else who doesn't come 1st 2nd or 3rd.
    In all seriousness I think the course is about 7km and i guess it will be three laps if you want to finish most don't bother as the bar will be open.

Dancake
    Free Member

My god this sounds absolutely fantastic.

I am new to the SS market (I have my training derailleur on) and I have never given ss games a second though before

marty
    Free Member

racing is prohibited
    is it just me, or should singlespeeders be able to race AND drink. not good enough at either? then train harder dammit!

roblerner
    Free Member

It does sound fun (I like the idea of coming 4th at a SS 'championship'), but looks like a long and difficult journey to make for a short ride.

Enjoy it anyone who's going!

Are there any 12+ hour SS events around?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

other SS race action here

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/single_speed/index.html

Mr Sparkle in the photo I believe

sofaking
    Free Member

you can ss any 12/24hour event you like

Del

well, if you're the sort of guy who wants to know what time he did after the event, then SSUK is not the event for you TBH.
    if you're happy to turn up and have a poke on the course, purely for the fun of it, having drunk the night before, during, and after, sign up immediately.

thekingofsweden

Actually some events are more fun when you don't even ride .
    I think this would be quite acceptable at a ss style event !

tazzymtb

Actually some events are more fun when you don't even ride .
    I think this would be quite acceptable at a ss style event !

yeh, especially as some of the bikes that singlespeeders use are so silly that they're not even rideable they're just for show. Have you ever seen a jones in use or just pictures of one hung from a tree/artfully posed etc…. and don't even think about your common as muck gas pipe on-ones. no one has the leg muscles to even get on of those heaps of scrap moving. that's why there's always a pile of them at a start line, they're waiting for the bin men to come and get them.

MrSparkle

Mr Sparkle in the photo I believe

Yes it is! Not seen that pic before so ta, whoever you are!

roblerner
    Free Member

if you're the sort of guy who wants to know what time he did after the event, then SSUK is not the event for you

I thought SSUK might be a bit more welcoming than that..

I was really only wondering what the traveling effort to riding time ratio would be. Cheers for all the input.

MrSparkle

Oh, it will be welcoming, yer big nancy. Its your round.

Keef
    Free Member

there is a lot more riding than the 'race' and a lot more than riding 😆

roblerner
    Free Member

Oh, it will be welcoming, yer big nancy. Its your round.

Maybe next year 😉

MrSparkle

Promises, promises! ;0)

epicyclo

roblerner – Member
    …Are there any 12+ hour SS events around?

Every June. Scottish Single Speed Championship. It's a race.

epicyclo

BTW don't be sucked in, there will be racing at the SSUK.

It's just that the serious racers will be trying to look like they're not racing. They do this by stopping for a beer if you pass them…

If I manage to pass you then you're obviously having too much fun and you'll regret it the next day. 🙂

🙂

Del

I thought SSUK might be a bit more welcoming than that..

don't be a Silly Susan. i was just trying to point out that if you take your racing 'seriously', as you sort of suggested you might, then you may not appreciate the fact that no, there isn't a concerted effort to list every rider's time, the number boards are often made from paper plates with a bit of pen on, and you might be jeered at if you ride through the beer stop.
    it's just like riding a bike. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

There'll be plenty of racing – you just have to try really hard to look like you're not trying and that you don't care – a bit like being a teenager again, really 😉 That said KoS is right – if you're looking for accurate results, serious organisation, etc, it's not going to be that sort of thing.

SSEC10 was great fun as was a previous SSUK I went to. There'll be a few niche-wh0re-tryhards who take not caring far too seriously there to laugh at but the vast majority of people are there to have fun and to ride a bit so it's a good atmosphere.

titaniumlover
    Free Member

i can't wait! the ti bike get's it annual trip into the woods- it still has sswc mud on it. (i am a bad man)

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Its a RACE, despite what folks may tell you, trust me when the red mist come upon them all, they will be RACING. Its like a special event for very special people and a dam fine event at that. SSUK2010 "the gathering of the Gods" or Odds as was once commented.

Dancake
    Free Member

How quickly do the entries sell out; I fancy a go next year…? I am too fat to race and I am quite fond of Lager

Keef
    Free Member

Dancake,you'll fit in just fine,especially with 'cake' in your name.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How much racing at SSUK?’ is closed to new replies.