Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 212 total)
  • How much does your road bike weigh?
  • frogstomp

Stock 54cm Felt AR5 with pedals and bottle cages weighs in at about 8.5kg..

mttm
    Free Member

15.4lbs –

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

dirtyrider, what build spec are those Enve’s?

Mat

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

asterix – Member

@thisisnotaspoon

just weighed my CAAD4 R500 and measured 9.1 kg

it does have two bottle cages and a computer/watch on it, but I’d love to work out where the rest of the excess is. It has a 105 groupset. Do you have carbon seatpost. bars etc – I dont. How to find those extra kgs?

Little bits everywhere.

Carbon (Canyon) post, alu (ritchey WCS) bar and stem
    1300g wheelset (stans alpha without stickers to keep the ‘looks cheep’/sleeper illusion)
    FSA carbon chainset
    DA7800 groupset
    Planet X brakes
    Ultremo ZX tyres
    Conti supersonic tubes

I paid £300 for the whole bike with tiagra s/h in 2004, then spent about £900 to lose the weight. The onyy standard bits are the frame and fork. I started by stripping and weighing each components, then seeing how much weight I could squeeze off without going silly, the criteria was it had to cost less in total than a new CAAD10 105 whilst manageing to be significantly lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

My Allez is about 22.5lbs, my Madone is 16 and a bit with Race X Lites IIRC, not weighed it for ages!

The red stem and Nokons on that Storck is gopping, looks good otherwise!

bigG
    Free Member

Most of these would weigh even less if they were properly sorted with slammed stems.. what are all those spacers about?

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Raleigh Carbon Comp comes in at about 17lbs with RS80’s and Ultremo ZX’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what are all those spacers about?

Going fast rather than looking cool.

globalti
    Free Member

Dunno how much my Roubaix weighs but it’s getting lighter… just fitted some Planet X brakes and now Michelin Pro 3 Light tyres with latex inner tubes. Latex tubes are LOVELY!

brakes
    Free Member

how do people weigh their bikes? and why all the weights “without pedals” do you ride it without pedals?
    I remember putting my road bike on the bathroom scales and it was about 18lbs I think, but I doubt that was very accurate at all.
    I’ve got some Park digital scales but they only go up to 3kg.

marrv
    Free Member

mines about 28lbs. 30lbs with packup on board.

trickydisco
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg5p0k7YaWk#![/video]

5.5kg!!!

iainc

it depends if I wave my willy clockwise or anticlockwise as that changes the gravitational influence on the mass of the bike 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Parlee z5’s 15.lbs.

tonyd

Most of these would weigh even less if they were properly sorted with slammed stems.. what are all those spacers about?

Not having trained much for a few years I had to put some spacers back on my road bike last year as my belly was in the way – 30 seconds on the drops and I couldn’t breathe!

aracer
    Free Member

why all the weights “without pedals”

“all” appears to be 2 so far – and one of those is also quoting a weight with. What I want to know is why all the imperial weights – is everybody here stuck in the 20th century?

brakes
    Free Member

question still stands, why (all) the weights without pedals?

andy8442
    Free Member

Do I really have to go out to the garage and weigh the damn thing? Do I? It’s ligther than my MTB, and we’ll leave it at that!

ac282

I know plenty of good riders who have a few spacers. They actually use the drops….

sputnik
    Free Member

Brakes you will find that it is the norm to state the weight of a medium frame without pedals.
    This is just based from memory reading reviews .

crazy-legs

Cos road bikes are never sold with pedals. Roadies are a strange bunch who will want to go and choose for themselves from one of the 814 different clipless pedal/shoe systems on the market. Hence the weight can vary depending on what the buyer subsequently fits. The weight is quoted without as that’s what you’re buying at point of sale.

MTbers are happy just be to sold a set of mid-range Shimano clipless and left to it.

rusty90
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

I work in a shop.

You ever seen a road bike above about £500 come with any pedals fitted?

You’ll find weights qouted without pedals is fairly common. Been using some heavy M530 MTB SPD’s on mine through the winter so I can wear my goretex boots. About to swap out to some Look Keo 2 Max’s (about half the weight) soon. Customers are free to fit their own pedals (some weigh as little as 150g a pair, some as much as 600g a pair) so quoting weights with pedals within the industry is kind’ve pointless/inaccurate and nobody really does it.

For anyone interested, my bike is 8.6kg with heavy cages and M530 pedals (pedals weigh 460g the pair!). It’s an off the shelf 2013 Merida Scultura 904 comp, except for an upgrade from 105 to Ultegra. Wheels are relatively heavy Mavic Aksium’s, tyres I’ve swapped out to 25c Durano’s (Ultremo’s would save 200g off the weight of the bike at least!), but importantly the frame is only 1100g and the fork is sub 400g, so with money thrown at it, it would easily go sub UCI weight limit.

Most importantly though, it’s 600g lighter than my Boss’ Pinarello Quattro with Ultegra Di2 fitted, and 300g lighter than a stock Pinarello Quattro with mechanical Ultegra! 🙂

bol

I weighed mine only yesterday by coincidence.

Including pedals, bottle cage/mount, cadence sensor and Exposure bracket, it’s 15lbs 8oz. Not bad for a fairly robust XL.

flange
    Free Member

15lbs on the nose with pedals, cage and k-edge garmin mount. Will be sub 15 when I grow some and buy that cassette mat shotbolt was trying to sell me other day. It now has Sram not shimano which is considerably lighter..

(Off topic) Mat – can you tell Rob I’m in a meeting and I’ll ring him on my way home?)

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i run spacers to allow me to use the drops and to cover long distances without needing neck surgery!

the headtube on the Storck is 115mm and i have 32″ and a bit legs so need as much front end height as is sensible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you ask what shoes people wear as well, they vary in weight even more than pedals!

Usualy they’re quoted without pedals/cages/garmin mounts/fluffy dice when you’re buying/selling it. For every other occasion it’s as it is ready to ride (although mine was weighed when it was built, so no cage/garmin).

sputnik
    Free Member

Mathew, what what crankset is that on your Stork? Stunning looking bike btw

flange
    Free Member

Mat – put a pic up of the new Bitsa!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

The now unavailable Easton ec90 chainset.
    Wish i had stocked up before they stopped them!

RealMan
    Free Member

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

bitsa race bike (only had to purchase the frame as all other parts found in boxes in the attic!

P1020553 by botsholt, on Flickr

really impressed with the frame given its all alloy.

flange
    Free Member

I want one of those, badly….is that the standard fork in it?

How much are they again?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i *may* have put the upgraded fork in….

http://storck-bicycle.co.uk/

flange
    Free Member

We’re like a tactical guerilla marketing campaign…

ormondroyd
    Free Member

If I was that worried about how much my road bike weighed, I wouldn’t have put a Brooks saddle on it.

But that Brooks saddle still feels lovely 100 miles into a ride.

flange
    Free Member

Mat – we need to have a talk about that alloy storck. I want need one

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

don’t believe all my hype Will, i was only averaging 23.5mph on my training runs!

flange
    Free Member

Jesus really? Cancel that order, I’m ooot

Is it a harsh ride? As in similar to that Olympia thing I had? Or is it more comfy? And will it take a set of crud race guards?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

clearnace is tight for cruds but please believe me when i say, the most surprising thing about the frame is its comfort. we did 50mi the other day and i got off feeling fresh!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘How much does your road bike weigh?’ is closed to new replies.