Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How has David Bowie shaped your music tastes ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you’re not a fan then this post wont mean much !

Having a David Bowie session on spotify and thinking wow this guy has played a massive part of my music listening over the last 27 years !

Pity I sold all my records to Record and tape exchange (remember them ) years ago !

A great artist

mikey74
    Free Member

David who?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i once saw a que of 25 or so people waiting outside a venue in Detriot to see him play circa September 1997 – it was way to early to be cueing so he must be good.

apart from that ….ditto

another time and place maybe, but no…

good taste in women though i will say that for him

Bimbler
    Free Member

Tin machine got me into thrash metal :-), :'(

Bimbler
    Free Member

MrsToast
    Free Member

Well, he reminds me of the babe…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope, not for me, but that’s the beauty of music there really is something for pretty much everyone.

Enjoy your bowie.

llama

I just don’t get him

I feel like I should because people who like what I like like bowie

But I just don’t get it

Coyote
    Free Member

He is a musical chameleon and as such he cannot be categorised. A lot of his stuff leaves me cold however “Let’s Dance” was part of the soundtrack to my early pub days and “Scary Monsters and Super Creeps” is quite simply one of the best albums ever made.

Title track…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHywdqH3F6Y[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Massive influence on me. I was in a band back in the 80s with a bloke who loved his stuff and really got me into Bowie.
    Had a couple of albums, but bought most of the others around then. We used to play Moonage Daydream, which taught me a new style of bass playing – was self taught from copying punk and new wave records (jj burnell, Foxton) but the more rock n roll style playing of Trevor Bolder was a bit different.
    Then there’s the songs, there are loads… so many amazing styles, so inventive.
    People who don’t appreciate Bowie I guess aren’t reallly interested in experimental stuff and originalilty. Each to their own and all that, but isn’t that what music is supposed to be about? Inventing new sounds and styles rather than copying the shit that’s gone before,or churning out the same old style album after album.
    Not heard his new album, have downloaded it but too much new stuff to have bothered listening to it yet. Don’t expect to get much out of it really.

bob_summers

How has David Bowie shaped your music tastes ?

Rather indirectly. Steve Jones nicked a white Les Paul custom off of Mick Ronson. The rest is history.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

People who don’t appreciate Bowie I guess aren’t reallly interested in experimental stuff and originalilty.

Harsh and a little narrow, experimental music doesn’t start and stop with David Bowie.

Northwind

Not directly. I daresay he influenced a lot of bands I like but as far as I’m concerned the only good thing he’s ever produced is Labyrinth. You remind me of the babe…

CountZero

While I love Bowie, and have enjoyed his music for the best part of thirty years or so, he’s not influenced my musical tastes in the slightest. The first proper rock album I ever listened to I borrowed from a schoolmate, in 1969.
    It was King Crimson, In The Court Of The Crimson King
    Now that was an influential album.

Never really grabbed me, although I quite like Rebel Rebel.

Queen was my choice of music in my formative years – not sure they even had a hand in shaping my choice of music though. Still listen to them though and anyone that doubts the brilliance of Mercury, should watch them live at MK Bowl.

samuri
    Free Member

Heh! That guy.

He changed massively at one point. He went all Ziggy stardust and came out with some crazy shit. Obviously totally off his bollocks on something or other he would stand on a stage for half an hour talking in a monotone voice about trees. I thikn he’s a **** genius.

He’s not changed my tastes at all though. 60’s, 70’s, taking drugs and singing about the government. that’s the music for me.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Not directly. I daresay he influenced a lot of bands I like but as far as I’m concerned the only good thing he’s ever produced is Labyrinth. You remind me of the babe…

WHAT BABE?!

Northwind

The babe with… wait. You have no power over me!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Love a bit of Brian Eno and a bit of Velvet Underground, I suppose I found Bowie after them. so who found who? and does it matter? I’m just about to put Diamond Dogs on as Another Green World or Velvet Underground. It’s all good music in the miasma of the time. I’m not old enough to be an EXPERT!

thorlz
    Free Member

Labyrinth, love that film. Watched it as a child and it has been a favourite ever since. Get to watch it with my lad now, who also loves it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m so pleased I used the word “Miasma”. Goodnight! 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

He hasn’t in any shape or form.

monkeychild
    Free Member

This month’s Q mag has a mahoosive Bowie article in it. I likes him.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Bowie came round and browsed my music collection, pulled out a few he said were crap and took them to the charity shop for me.

/shaped

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan, lets get that straight from the start, however I do think his music has influenced a massive amount of folks. I would like to know who comes up with the music, I guess he cracks out a rhyme and lyric, but who puts it together? Has he an equivalent of Bernie Epstein ?

DezB
    Free Member

experimental music doesn’t start and stop with David Bowie

Definitely not! I knew what I meant anyway.

but who puts it together? Has he an equivalent of Bernie Epstein ?

Bowie did, or Bowie and his band. Bernie Epstein? Whodatden?

CountZero

Bernie Epstein, the love child of Brian Epstein and Bernie Taupin… 😯

DezB
    Free Member

Christ, I hope he didn’t mean Bernie Taupin.. like comparing Bowie to Elton bleeding John..!! 😯

beanieripper
    Free Member

After re visiting Labyrinth with the kids I can tell you he has reshaped my taste in hair and budgie smugglers…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh you knew who I meant dintcha..

Don’t mind being corrected on that point.

So, so the lad does it all himself.. Well thats one helluva talent. Should be famous then. 😆

I think the thing that put me off him, has to be said, is a girl I once knew painted her face with that lightening bolt on it and she bleached her hair too..

Scared me she did, scared me rigid.

yunki
    Free Member

Loved Labyrinth as a kid.. Bowie has never really been on my radar, I always thought he was just more ‘mumpop’.. I imagine that he’s influenced me in ways that perhaps I wasn’t even aware of.. Mrs Yunki loves him

this is a cracker though

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQdBxVjZx4[/video]

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How has David Bowie shaped your music tastes ?’ is closed to new replies.