Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 194 total)
  • How educated are you?
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

takisawa2

2.1 Hons BEng in something or other.
    Mostly irrelevant now.
    Dropped out of a bricklaying apprenticeship once.
    Some swimming badges also.

Wally

I still dream I failed my MA , wake up having wandered around an empty campus – it was tough.
    Other more important priorities now. My most sucessful peer left school at 18.

samuri
    Free Member

educated to HND level with quite a few professional qualifications afterwards blah de blah but really…. qualifications get you into the job, after that you're on your own and after 6 months no-one is interested in your qualifications (actually, no-one is interested after 6 minutes) and it's really what you can do that matters after that).

mafiafish
    Free Member

3/4 through a Bsc/ MA degree at St Andrews

timber

more than I need to be right now, future proofing for when I want to progress, experience and the qualifications

but right now, all I need know is the sharp end of the saw, a small grasp of how gravity works and how to hit things

Ti29er
    Free Member

My sister has just got a 1st class honours degree from the OU.
    Every book I seemed to pick up from her course work was about death & dying.
    If nothing else, she will one day put that knowledge to good use, I guess.
    In the meantime, she's worth more in the job market – but can't seem to land a better job.
    Problem is, I suspect, she was not in either the Tuffty Club nor the I Spy club, nor for that matter the Dennis the Menace fan club, unlike her brother!

CountZero

Adequately.

mrben100
    Free Member

Educated enough to know I should start a pension savings scheme (GCSE's, A Levels and Honours Degree)

Misguided enough to think that ploughing all my money into the lottery every week instead is a suitable alternative. 😀

stevomcd
    Free Member

Master's (1st Class) in Rocket Science (aka Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics).

More recently:

International Mountain Leader (1 course to go!)
    Mountain Leader
    Scottish Mountain Bike Leader

montylikesbeer

a hnc in electrical engineering and not much else, apart from my whit and verbal dexterity………………..

dyna-ti

In the words of tull.
    Thick as a brick 😀
    😉 2 time served trades and qualified in a further 2 to HND standard.
    🙄 I get bored easily
    I dont need or even have to work.when i do its more for its entertainment value than anything constructive

DrP

10 GCSEs
    3 A grade A-levels
    BM
    Most of the way through Royal College membership at a thankless cost of a few grand…

All that and I still have to be awake at 4.15am, fuelled by coffee and 'nanas, seeing people who aren't really sick…..

Still, it's all fun!

DrP

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think some people might be confusing "education" with "qualifications" 😕

CHB

I am educated enough to believe in climate change, and to find Horizon patronising.

DrP

I think some people might be confusing "education" with "qualifications"

In a non-argumentative way – surely qualifications come as a result of an education, no?
    Agreed, some qualifications hold more merit than others, but generally they are evidence of a persons education.
    Discuss

DrP

stratobiker
    Free Member

What do you mean by "Educated"?

Ti29er
    Free Member

persons education.

Discuss:
    The role of punctuation (or lack of) in education.
    Discuss:
    😯

DrP

I don't think I've got it too badly wrong after being awake for almost 24hrs…..

I take a simple grammatical error as a pass!

Enjoy your day Ti29er…… 🙄

DrP

atlaz
    Free Member

Pile of GCSEs with good results, 4 a-levels with disappointing results (but enough to get me to my chosen uni), another holder of a desmond level BSc. Season with a few vocational qualifications.

Basically enough to get into my chosen job and stay there.

rob1984p
    Free Member

A Blue Peter badge for drawing a stamp when I was seven or eight.

Or

2:2 in BSc Civil Engineering with CAD (yes I was really lazy) which I have never used but seems to have been well respected when going for unrelated jobs and should get me onto a PGCE next year.

ononeorange

Also a Blue Peter badge;
    Cycling Proficiency (96 out of 100 – probably my academic peak);
    Various O Levels;
    1 A level;
    HND Material Technology;
    BSc Metallurgy;
    Assorted finance stuff

Most of what I've learnt though has probably come about in the last 5 years of doing a grown-up job!

As someone said above though, I've always just scraped through and wish I'd put a lot more into it when I was younger. Now work 12+ hour days and retirement and therefore bike riding when I feel like is still far, far away…..

sockpuppet

a BA and an MA in Theoretical and Experimental Physics. yes, they gave me an arts degree… 😉

no blue peter badge though!

midgebait
    Free Member

Dr midgebait BSc(Hons) MSc MIEMA

Summer MLTB
    RAF Flying Scholarship

… and still a ****t 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

O' level Astronomy (grade C) — really.

spacemonkey

Not educated enough to know what **** tyres I should be using.

antigee

Degree in rock climbing but for some reason they put Metallurgy on the piece of paper – don't remember much of that! Post Grad in Marketing
    no cycling profiency though – certificate or actual
    assistant beaver leader

midgebait
    Free Member

antigee, with a 'degree' in rock climbing, I'll put reasonable odds on you either having 'studied' at Sheffield or Leeds?

antigee

'degree' in rock climbing…'studied' at Sheffield or Leeds?

Sheffield Poly' (I'm old) and work placement in Leeds! also did PGCE in Bangor 8)

all predictable

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Desmond in Geography from Durham, use of degree since uni = zero.

Since then I've gained an NVQ at one point in providing Energy Efficiency Advice and passed my ITIL v3. qualification in Release, Control and Validation. So I used to know a lot about Energy saving lightbulbs and cavity wall insulation and now I just know how to wind up 'techies'. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

BA Hons in Economics and Maths. Went to uni when I was 26 after doing a few poorly paid jobs but in general enjoying them and having no stress. Earning enough now but….

Never used anything I learned at uni in my job but a degree gave me the confidence that I am in fact quite intelligent.

If I could do things again I should really be doing something like engineering as I'm very practical.

trail_rat
    Free Member

6 highers

desmond in Beng , mech eng from dundee uni

and a "basic oilfield technology" course courtesy of my employer ….

currently on a 2 year training scheme to become a field engineer so shall startpicking up useful qualifications shortly – only thing from my degree ive used since i graduated 2 years ago (how time passes) is my excel skills !

mcboo
    Free Member

I've got an H licence

best
    fun
    ever

jonb
    Free Member

Define educated? I have a pile of certificates from school and uni with some letters and numbers on but that just meant I passed the exams. There's more to education than the acquisition of facts, especially pointless ones about obscure chemicals. I think real educations is teaching people how they can acquire their own facts and knowledge.

For the record (and because I'm reasonable proud of them) 10 GCSEs (8xA*, 1xA and 1xB), 4 A levels (AAAB), and a first class Mchem.

tinsy
    Free Member

WOW, my cycling proficiency just isn't cutting the mustard..

HTTP404
    Free Member

I think real educations is teaching people how they can acquire their own facts and knowledge.

Qualifications are proof and measure of attainment in an education system. Schooling is therefore a vehicle for an individual's education.

Education isn't simply the acquisition of knowledge. It's also the application of knowledge.

Farticus

Cycling Proficiency
    County Certificate for swimming
    10 O Levels ['78]
    4 A Levels & 2 S Levels ['80]
    MA, PhD in Natural Sciences
    MBA
    Some professional qualification or other

… and only maths bits & the first two have been of the slightest use.

lexiekay
    Free Member

13 GCSEs
    4 A Levels
    Foundation Diploma in Art & Design
    First Class degree in History
    MA in Medieval History
    MA in Archaeology and Heritage
    and i still earn less then almost everyone I know from school, especially those who left at 16…
    Plus I'm nowhere near to paying off my student/graduate loans 🙁

tron
    Free Member

3 unspeakably poor A levels.

Geoff in a geography/ecology BSc. I also have a certificate in hedge-laying. Did get me a job, so the knowledge got used, but I didn't enjoy the job much.

Currently taking an MSc in working for the man!

Educated enough to be horrified by the spelling and grammar of my peers. And I am aware of the fact that mine isn't perfect.

jon1973
    Free Member

and i still earn less then almost everyone I know from school, especially those who left at 16…
    Plus I'm nowhere near to paying off my student/graduate loans

I wonder why? 😉

MA in Medieval History
    MA in Archaeology and Heritage

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘How educated are you?’ is closed to new replies.