• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How big are yours
  • Solo
    Free Member

Handle bars that is.

😀

Hi, I was just wondering, are most people now using the OS handle bar, 31.5mm diameter ?, or are there significant numbers here who still use the standard diameter handle bar ?.

Just wondered.

Cheers.

🙂

Solo.

sheldona
    Free Member

Standard on 7 out of 9, only my road bike and the wifes CX bike are OS

chvck
    Free Member

Mine are OS but that's only because I thought that the Thomson X4 stems look pimp 😳

firestarter
    Free Member

road and h/t are os and cx and fullsus are standard no reasoning behind it other that what i had around at the time

loddrik
    Free Member

Standard, no reason to swap whatsoever, all 16.5st of me can honestly say that as standard bars have never let me down, why would I change?

sharki
    Free Member

Standard here, i've not bust it so guess i don't NEED a os bar.

Solo
    Free Member

Ayatollahofniche.

(love that I.D.)

Thanks for that super-fast reply.

Wow, I was surprised by such a large proportion of your collection having standard Dia bars.

All my bikes except my road bike happen to have OS, so you can see where I'm coming from.

Cheers.

Solo.

uplink
    Free Member

all my bikes [4] are now OS

wasn't planned, it just worked out that way

Solo
    Free Member

WOW-WEE !, blindingly quick, loads of posts.

Thank you 🙂

Solo.

scaredypants

only 1 OS = road bike

I do feel that I'm losing out on total bike control by having such flexy thin bars though. I could be a contender on oversize ones, riding the fork more, muscling the bike around using just my body english and generally talking more bollocks than I currently can.

matthew_h
    Free Member

OS x2
    Standard x1

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Standard, because it is the only size that On-One Mary bars came in.

Flex, they do.

Solo
    Free Member

This isn't about flexi Vs stiffer, so don't worry.

I was just wondering if OS bars were common/standard now, by asking who has got what.

SP, how many pairs of standard bars do you use. You have OS on your road bike then, anything else in the SP collection ?.

🙂

Solo.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

LOL @ Scaredypants

>Wow, I was surprised by such a large proportion of your collection having standard Dia bars.,<

Why? We aren't all slaves to the next greatest thing since sliced bread standard – we turn our wee skinny bars and the wheel goes round 😉

scaredypants

5 normal

my 9 year-old daughter has OS though (cheapest inc stem in the CRC flood sale). You should see her shredding sick power lines down the rec, unmatchable with a mere 25.4mm rig

I assume there'll be little choice in a few years – unless we move up another notch

njee20
    Free Member

All 3 of mine are OS.

A lot of decent bars only come in OS these days, I import New Ultimate, and they only do OS. Ritchey WCS bars are only available in OS too, and I think their 4Axis Carbon stem is the same. Although the alu one is available in both oddly.

Solo
    Free Member

Most of my bikes came with OS, only my road bike had standard, err, as standard. 🙂

I feel no need to change my road bike bars and stem and I've been denied the experience of standard bars for off-road cycling, purely by chance.

I'm not sure I could feel/sense the difference anyway. After most of my life riding rigid bikes, only now in later years to ride suspended bikes, my senses still can't see past the bounce of forks and shock, yet alone feel the flex in a handle bar or stem. Thats my experience.

Solo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OS on the big bouncy bike
    Standard on the NRS and the retro rigid loveliness.

Road bikes are both standard, then there's the BMX!

rolfharris
    Free Member

My road bike and both my "hardcore hardtails" are 25.4mm- because that's what was available at the time. I don't see the need for OS but the new bouncer and race bike have them, because that's what was available.

I think if you're building a new bike, go 31.8mm- no performance reason, it's just that it seems to be that almost all handlebars will be this size in future and it makes for future compatability.

AdamM
    Free Member

FWIW, I would no longer buy a 25.4 MTB or 26.0 Road stem as most bars are now oversize or can be shimmed to fit an oversize clamp, but most of my bikes are still running 'normal' stems because that is what I have and I see no reason to change for change's sake. Ditching 5 perfectly good Thomson Elite stems just ain't gonna happen…

miketually
    Free Member

I have four bikes and they all have standard bars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Standard here. No need to change as I hardly ever shred the gnar

crispedwheel
    Free Member

2 x standard

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

2x oversize
    1x standard
    1x 26.0 road stem shimmed down to 25.4 with a sainsburys lemonade can!
    A pile of old spare standard stems with no home to go to…

Solo
    Free Member

OK, so now its the turn of the standard-istas. Loads of people running standard Dia bars. Cool.

Totally agree with comments along the lines of "if it aint broke, don't try fix it"

I certainly wouldn't change my road bike bars to OS, just for the sake of it/popularity.

Ta

Solo.

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

4 os,1 25

carlosg
    Free Member

22.2 shimmed up to 25.4 on the big bike , 25.4 on the xc bike.

never snapped/bent any so don't see any point in changing , although I did have a pair of Profile carbon bars for 6 months that I found a crack on while doing a 'proper' clean , they went straight in the bin. If I was buying carbon then I probably would go to OS(but I'm no pimp whore 😆 )

DaveGr
    Free Member

Ayatollahofniche – Standard on 7 out of 9

Well if you can't break them then I see no reason to go oversize 😀

Personally don't feel the need to change all the bars/stems on the bikes as well as light and gps mounts I've got.

grumm
    Free Member

OS on roadbike and mtb, cos I is core.

Solo
    Free Member

G.

"cos I is core"

Luv that comment.

Solo.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How big are yours’ is closed to new replies.