Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope X2 vs V2 Brakes?
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

Help!

I need some new brakes and I see these two being advertised at about the same price – which one should I go for and why?

Cheers.

tiff
    Free Member

It depends on what you want to use them for and for what bike. The v2 are a bit more downhill orientated and the x2 more xc. I have both but i am biased as I love hope products

creamegg
    Free Member

If there at the same price i’d go for the V2’s. They may be slightly heavier but unless your a whippet I doubt you’d notice. The V2’s are more for DH than XC but use mine for everything.

Someone will be along shortly saying that Hopes dont work and you should buy shimano. Had V2’s on my bike for last 18 months with no issues in terms of performance and reliability. If I wasnt happy with them i’d have changed them by now.

stevede
    Free Member

If they are for a dh bike or your about 20st then go for v2’s, if they are for a trail bike I personally would go for the x2’s, I have these on my five with 183mm rotors and find them much more useable than the v2’s they replaced.

chives
    Free Member

Traded up from Hayes Strokers to Hope X2 evo’s a couple of months back – they’re great, super feel, easy to bleed (no kit needed other than a short length of aquarium pipe) and plenty powerful. The bite point adjustment actually works, and the standard of fit & finish is spot on (no more wobbly levers…) As above, unless you’re planning to run gravity enduros or other DH, I’d imagine the V2’s would be a bit OTT.

ruscle
    Free Member

I have had both on my 140mm trail bike and prefer the V2’s as I have all the power I need with the smallest amount of 1 finger squeeze required and a huge amount of control over the delivery of that power and the pads last longer.

TimCotic
    Free Member

They’re going on a Salsa El Mariachi ti. I weigh about 178lbs (a bit under 13 stone), and the most technical riding I’d do would be Brecons, South downs, some Peaks, and Church Stetton trails, and the Builth Wells and Ruthin half-marathons (though I’d like to get fit enough to try a 75k). It sounds as if the X2 Evo’s would be right for me.
    And Creamegg: – I’ve had the same pair of Minis (bought new in Feb 2008) on several bikes and have found them excellent so I won’t be getting Shimanos cos I love hope too lol.

ruscle
    Free Member

You might want to look at getting the x2’s with the race lever as everyone seems to rave about it and in recent what mtb magazine brake tests the race lever increased power aswell as reducing weight. I personally love the tech lever.

TimCotic
    Free Member

They’re going on a Salsa El Mariachi ti. I weigh about 178lbs (a bit under 13 stone), and the most technical riding I’d do would be Brecons, South downs, some Peaks, and Church Stetton trails, and the Builth Wells and Ruthin half-marathons (though I’d like to get fit enough to try a 75k). It sounds as if the X2 Evo’s would be right for me.
    And Creamegg: – I’ve had the same pair of Minis (bought new in Feb 2008) on several bikes and have found them excellent so I won’t be getting Shimanos cos I love hope too lol.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

M4 front; X2 rear.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope X2 vs V2 Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.