Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Tech M4s or Tech V2s for a big lad?
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi guys,

What do you reckon, the Hope Tech M4s or Tech V2s for a big lad of 18 stone and also what size rotors for front and rear? They are for my Orange P7 HT and mainly XC duties and some trail centre stuff in the future.

Also, do the M4s have more modulation than the V2s, are the V2s just raw power?

(I was told by my LBS not to go for the M4s as they have more to go wrong with them but I'm not too sure on that one? Any ideas)

(I am sold on the Hopes so no need for other suggestions, thanks muchly) 😀

Thanks all.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Can't comment on the tech ones – I've got mono m4s and moto v2s and the motos are just better. Still loads of modulation, just more outright power than the m4's. The tech v2's have shorter levers now too which was my main beef with the motos.

And yes, once they get older the v2's have fewer pistons so less likely to cause you grief.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Can't comment on the tech ones – I've got mono m4s and moto v2s and the motos are just better. Still loads of modulation, just more outright power than the m4's. The tech v2's have shorter levers now too which was my main beef with the motos.

And yes, once they get older the v2's have fewer pistons so less likely to cause you grief.

Hi kenneth,

So would you recommend the V2s in my situation?

Also what size rotors are you using?

Thanks for your input 😀

nickhart
    Free Member

not sure what peaty weighs but he uses really small brakes. i'd suggest that the v2 would be over kill for the back of a hardtail as they tend to skip around more than a full sus, also when braking the weight goes to the front. i'm 17.5st and have hayes hfx9 on mine which have been amazing so far. crc had them for under 40 quid recently.
    my brother in law has some v2's and they're incredibly powerful but there comes a point when the tyres lose grip…..

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks nick,

I think the main reason Peaty has small brakes is because he doesn't use them at all 😆

What rotors sizes are you using?

Cheers 😀

Davy
    Free Member

For XC on a hardtail I can't see any reason to go up to the V2s to be honest. You're not a lot heavier than me, and I've run a mixture of minis and M4s over the last 10 years or so, and only had 1 real problem; I melted the hose on my rear mini (165mm) on the Les Gets DH track.

I now run M4s with 203mm front and 180mm rear discs, and I've never found a situation where they've not been powerful enough. The only real issue you might have is with heat dissipation, if you are particularly heavy on the brakes for a long time, ie. constantly dragging the brakes for 2-3 minutes.

It's true that there is slightly more to go wrong on an M4, but you're only talking about 2 extra pistons, and it's not likely to take much more than a clean and a bit of pressing the pistons to get it sorted.

If I were you, I'd stick with the M4s.

rhid

I use V2's on both my bikes. 203 rotors on my big bike and 183 on my trail bike. If you were going to go for the V2's I'd say all you need would be 183mm rotors. They are super powerful brakes and I love them!

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Tech M4 will be way more than what you need .
    Im 16st and have 203 front , 185 back on my AM and they have unbelievable stoppong power and awesome modulation. I tossed up between the V2 and M4 when buying but made a good choice, the M4 are AM/FR brakes , the V2 are DH/FR and there is a bit of a weight penalty going the V2 over the M4 too. On a hardtail doing XC i even reckon the M4 is an overkill but after owning a set i believe everyone should have them 🙂

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Running the Tech V2's on vented 203's with goodridges hoses on my Five – trail centre and XC. Found them a bit overkill at first, but got used to them now and would definitely recommend. Could defo get away with a smaller rotor on the rear IMO!

Thomo.

nbt

(I am sold on the Hopes so no need for other suggestions, thanks muchly)

Just to argue with this statement, have you actually tried fitting tech levers to your current setup? I have really struggled to find a comfortable position with my SRAM x9 (maybe x7?) shifters, and they didn;t fit with my old Deore shifters on the other bike, but admittedly they didn;t have removeable windows.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I use the V2's with vented 8inch rotors – they are on my dh bike though. I could get away with smaller rotors no problem, only place they even get remotely toasty (in the uk, never been abroad) is glencoe.

For XC the v2's would be ott, but I do think that they are better brakes than the m4 (which itself isnt even an XC brake). I don't really see the problem with being over-braked as long as they modulate well.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input guys 😀

nbt, I have XTR shifters, so no windows and IIRC they'll work fine with the new Tech levers.

kenneth, thanks again, so would you say that you get decent modulation with your V2s?

nickhart
    Free Member

dangermouse, sorry for the slow response. 203mm. whether i need them or not i'm not sure, they are very reassuring on the rig their on at the moment (8 inch travel all day fun rig) but on a hardtail (i'd like to build a bfe) i'd look at a small rear twin pot and some m4's on the front.

I have Tech M4's on my Enduro (203/180mm) and they are awesome – just right. I was 15st when I put them on 3 months ago and I'm now 13st. They suited me then and they still suit me now.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Alright guys, I'm the wrong side of 20st, on my dh bike I run the tech v2s with vented rotors, but on my xc hardtail I run a 203mm hope m4s front, and a 160 mono mini rear, I have more then enough power to lock the rear wheel and enough power on the front to endo.
    I'm like you, i'll only go for hope because I prefer the way that they feel. Both sets have good modulation, (bear in mind my m4s are only the monos) and the new tech levers are awesome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech M4s or Tech V2s for a big lad?’ is closed to new replies.