Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)
  • HIT THE NORTH – UNDER THREAT
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

we're some way off our minimum entries in order to break even. We need a fairly significant number of entries IN THE NEXT WEEK to ensure the event goes ahead.

Obviously pulling the plug will be a nightmare, but we're not taking silly risks with the amounts of money involved.

If you want it to go ahead and you're not entered it yet, it needs to be in the next few days.

Cheers.
    http://www.hitthenorth.net

Edric64
    Free Member

Serious question .I always wonder about the cost involved in putting an event like this on as the entry fee is often quite a lot and I am poor and my other half would moan.I assume timing chip kit is expensive and first aid cover.Is insurance really high as well with elf n safety being high on the agenda these days?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

How many riders do you need before the weekend?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Your entry form is hard to find on your home page.

Well it is for a luddite like me so here it is

http://www.hitthenorth.net/entryform/

happysv
    Free Member

Was it not sold out about a month ago ?

Trekster

Sundays local running event was 2/3 down on usual entry this year, organisers really dissapointed. Other local 1/2 marathons are also showing signs of decreasesd numbers.

VFM or the cost of travel/the "crunch" having an effect?

br
    Free Member

The website is 'difficult' to navigate, like where is it?

Plus once past £20, questions get asked.

The Rough Ride that was on yesterday managed more riders this year than last – maybe get in touch with them for ideas?

Harry_the_Spider

Serious question .I always wonder about the cost involved in putting an event like this on as the entry fee is often quite a lot and I am poor and my other half would moan.I assume timing chip kit is expensive and first aid cover.Is insurance really high as well with elf n safety being high on the agenda these days?

This one costs about £8,000 (I’m on holiday so I haven’t got all the figures to hand).

That gets you/us:

Insurance
    A campsite
    Timing
    Marshalls
    First aid cover
    BC Commissars
    Numbers
    Barriers
    A band
    A DJ
    Barriers
    Barrier tape
    Land access
    Numerous other odds and sods

We don’t make any profit personally and any excess is given away.

However, we don't have anybody underwriting our debt, so if we can't afford to pay the bills 4 weeks before the event then it gets pulled.

edhornby

have bigged it up on facebook… hope it will get some traction….

Bunnyhop

It's the only race I take part in, for the simple fact it's such fun.
    Great little course this year too.

Come on chaps, you won't regret signing up.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Same weekend as MTB National Champs

Edric64
    Free Member

Thats a lot of wedge to need to guarantee getting in before you start.I can see how you could be in the financial poo without enough riders

julians
    Free Member

I had a look at the website , but I couldnt actually find any info about the event itself, ie where is it, what is it etc etc.

Im not trying to be negative, just constructive.

Harry_the_Spider

MikeWW – Member

We're the other end of the spectrum. The National Champs don't have a beer tent, ska band or fire eater.

Clink

Too far from me from down in the sw, but best of luck – it looks good!

miketually
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

julians – Member
    I had a look at the website , but I couldnt actually find any info about the event itself, ie where is it, what is it etc etc.

Im not trying to be negative, just constructive.

There is an "About Hit the North 2" tab at the top.

julians
    Free Member

must be something wrong with my browser, I can only see a hometime link in the top left hand corner. I am on IE8

project
    Free Member

Tried to get to the one in February the post code for the sat nav was the centre of a very high motorway bridge, there where no signs and as far as i remeber on the web site no instructions on how to get there,even the locals didnt know where it was.

Harry_the_Spider

project – Member
    Tried to get to the one in February the post code for the sat nav was the centre of a very high motorway bridge, there where no signs and as far as i remeber on the web site no instructions on how to get there,even the locals didnt know where it was.

The other 170 made it.

We sent you a map. You said that you didn't look at it.

There were instructions on the site too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

maybe I should start another thread for 'HTN complaints'.

meehaja
    Free Member

I'll check my rota. I said no more racing, but you know, I like ska, and I thought last time it could be fun to ride on my SS and/or CX

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

People (ie, me) remember the "all weather" course from the first HTN.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

MikeWW – Member

We're the other end of the spectrum. The National Champs don't have a beer tent, ska band or fire eater.

Did your February event and really enjoyed it but will have to miss out this time 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    People (ie, me) remember the "all weather" course from the first HTN.

The monsoon didn't help 😀

Our entire carpark was closed because it was underwater.

Harry_the_Spider

BTW the new course is entirely different from HtN 1. The 4 boggy sections are gone. If it really pisses down there may be 3 claggy bits but one of them is only 200m long.

The rest is all berms, jumps, cobbles, hard pack and gravel. We are using a lot of the new FC stuff which will cope with the worst weather that Manchester can throw at it.

Suburbanlife
    Free Member

I'm in and I've been plugging it like mad recently. Hope the numbers pile in as it's great to have events like this in manchester. Really appreciate your effort – let's hope it all comes together.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

have bigged it up on facebook… hope it will get some traction….

which will be more than the entrants are likely to get………….. 🙂

seriously though, wonder if the Brownbacks events have cannibalised the NW racing scene a bit? TBH the riding conditions there are much more to my liking.

not for me thanks but it sounds like a great little event, best of luck.

Harry_the_Spider

not for me thanks but it sounds like a great little event, best of luck.

That’s the point… it isn’t a “little” event. We do one of those each winter and by comparison it is a piece of piss. £1000 budget, £12 entry fee, 15 marshals, short course, half a day to set up and 2 hours to tidy away afterwards.

This one has all the trimmings and some more trimmings that are over and above what you would expect.

I hope it doesn’t go tits up because me and Terrahawk and a few others have ploughed an awful lot of time and effort into this and the three previous HtNs and we’d like to finish on our own terms with some sort of big and stupid spectacular with fireworks and a Mariachi band (well I would), not just fizzle out.

We’ve done our bit. If it happens it happens.

Over and out.

Off to bed.

http://www.hitthenorth.net

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm sorry you're not getting the support you need, but I'm given to wonder why big groups of riders doing their own ride are widely criticised but events with hundreds of riders are suddenly wonderful?

Harry_the_Spider

Eh?

Nezbo
    Free Member

Here are a couple of links that will help :

On-Line Entry Form

More Info about the event

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks Nezbo, but the map is for the little event. This one will be at the venue for the big event (same as HtN1). Any chance that you could scrub that bit from your post?

If the event happens I'll buy you a pint. 😀

nbt

The new course is nice. I tried it on SS and really enjoyed it. Only one or two bits I had to get off and push, and they were the bits that are designed to be "get off and push" bits. I'm not racing but I'll be there taking photos cos Mrs NBT has entered a team

Harry_the_Spider

Location.

400 yards down the track from the big "A"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=m26%201dy

Nezbo
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – sorry mate, it's gone 🙂

it's lucky you said that i would have been turning up at the 'little event' on the 17th 🙄

PS. do you not have a facebook page?

Harry_the_Spider

You owe me a pint now. 😉

We will send everyone an email with a map and all of the other BS about a week before.

br
    Free Member

Just had another look at your web site – and on the HTN2 link (which for most people they'd just expect due to its location to be the home-page, are some details and all the photos are of people pushing/carrying – not a good advert.

Harry_the_Spider

It's a MTB v Cyclocross event. Carrying is part of the fun!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘HIT THE NORTH – UNDER THREAT’ is closed to new replies.