• This topic has 35 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Hemlock or 405 / 506
  • roughneck
    Free Member

please make my mind up for me. I like Hemlock but the pace's are meant to be great at climbing. But then which Pace.

18bikes

ride em, then decide?

fwiw, we've got an ex-demo hemlock for sale soon, along with a bargain RC506 frame. both medium.

roughneck
    Free Member

I Need a large. I was in last friday, after trying to kill my self on the peaks. Do you have a demo in large.

oxnop
    Free Member

I had a large pace 405 for 6 mts last year – I only sold it as it felt a bit too big to be chuckable (im 5 11) and the medium felt a bit too small. Id definitely demo one to make sure the sizing is for you.

The pace went up like a goat – no bob whatsoever & never adjusted the floodgate on the DT swiss shock to lock it out. It was also fantastically plush on the descents. (I sold it to buy a 5AM but then sold that to buy a mojo as the single pivot 5 felt a bit 'wooden'- I must be a multi pivot fan boi! )

Here is my old bike in sierra nevada last year – it handled all the trails brilliantly & never felt like I needed more travel so I think the 506 would be too much for the uk unless you do a bit of freeride etc.

LAT

I'm 5'8" and have had a medium 405 for a couple of years. When sat on the bike stationary it seems a little short (with a 70mm stem and 710mm wide bars) but when riding it pedals superbly, climbs superbly and descending it gets more stable the faster you go.

I've not ridden the 506 or Hemlock (but have contemplated both and doubt I'd be disappointed with either) but do love the 405.

Northwind

I've not ridden the Pace so can't compare, but so far I like my Hemlock a lot, it's very confidence inspiring and capable but also very involving… But as far as climbing goes, it's more than good enough but it's not amazing.

Mintman
    Free Member

I've got a large 405 and love it. Not as chuckable as my Trance was (although I felt in the end that was a bit small for me so bought the 405 instead).

I'm 6ft and have a large 405. So long as you are taller than that a large will be the right size.

All that good stuff about climbing well etc is seems true but no idea how it compares with a Hemlock. I did demo a 506 but though it was a bit too much really; the 405 is far more capable than I am anyway!

mickasaki
    Free Member

I've got a large hemlock, (at the moment!) i'm only 5'10 but with a 70mm stem it's a nice length. Very low standover anyways. I thought about a 405 (still am to be honest!) but hemmy's are better value! My large weighed 6.2lb, the Paces are weighed without the shock, so you cant believe what they state. I find it climbs nice, great on the downs too. You also get the choice of different length rockers to change the travel, although i have only used the longer ones once, and leave it short!

roughneck
    Free Member

Thinking the Hemlock because I want to put some 160 forks on. Is the 506 to much bike for the uk.

Mugboo

Been riding my 08 ex demo Hemlock for 18mths now, 100mm rear 160mm talas on the front.

Just a few thoughts –

Having forks with 110/130/160 is usefull as its quite slack on full travel. At 110 the BB is too low for anything rougher than gravel (techy/steppy climbs), 130 is perfect for though.
    If its not a long climb then i don't even bother as just a shift of weight is enough to keep the front end down.
    I have cleaned the climb upto Jacobs Ladder (with a few stops for breath) and the it breezes up the Golspie climb.

As for heading back down, its 160 all the way. The only place i have wanted a different bike was the Fort Bill DH track!!

If it helps i fit happily in the Trail riding pigeon hole, riding mostly local xc with pretty much any trail centre Black stuff and the odd big drop thrown in.

Also, sometimes i forget to put the forks back up and ride everthing at 130, not sure what that says about my bike or bike testing skills because it takes me ages to notice 😯

w1lksy
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" and ride a medium 405 with a 70mm stem and layback post. Love mine. Climbs well, descends well, goes well, what more do you want? Run mine with hardly any floodgate on the DTSwiss shock, still no bob. IMO a brilliant design.

roughneck
    Free Member

100mm! I thought they were 120mm rear travel

kelvin

My Hemlock is short travel rear, long travel Travis forks at the front (no travel adjust or lock down malarky) , and climbs like stink. [biased opinion]

ahwiles
    Free Member

I thought they were 120mm rear travel

the 2008 (1st generation?) Hemlocks were 100/150, this changed to 120/150 in 2009.

the 30mm difference might not sound much, but the change in personality between the plates is more than the numbers might suggest.

roughneck
    Free Member

The Hemlock is looking good. Was thinking lyrik or talas 36, flow rims on pro2's, the new middleburn cranks, xt or slx gears, raceface atlas bars, hope stem,headset and bb. And may be a telescopic seatpost.

mickasaki
    Free Member

here's mine! And i know the garden/patio/hedge is in need of attention!

roughneck
    Free Member

nice

rob2
    Free Member

I went through exactly the same decision process last year. I got the hemlock in the end as it was a better fit – I'm too big for a small pace; too short for a medium. Got a small hemlock.

I like the better standover of the hemlock and the slacker angles. Run mine with 120 at the back and 150 u-turns up front. Anodised finish is nice too.

The new seat and chainstays are much better than the old ones too (i'm changed mine over).

Its mental downhill and pretty decent up hill if you have an in line post.

Mugboo

Forgot to add, the Hemlock is not pretty, it's kind of industrial looking, i love it but i love Nicolai's as well.

In fact a mate saw it for the first time the other day and his comment was 'never soon one in the flesh they look a lot a better than i thought'

This sums it up, photo's don't do it justice, plus it looks nicer with short rockers.

roughneck
    Free Member

How light/heavy is your Hemlock. Depending if your a optimist or pessimist.

ahwiles
    Free Member

is that a question? – or a statement?

roughneck
    Free Member

any more pic's

rob2
    Free Member

my hemlock is about 26-27 pounds.

Hope sp xc 6 wheels, 2010 u turn revs, xt kit, carbon bars and post

Don't know how to post pics but it looks nice!

thepodge
    Free Member

I'd quite fancy a Hemlock but i just cant get over how ugly that back end is. Cy please do something about it. still its not as ugly as Pace's 204

DeeJay
    Free Member

but being indecisive I also have;

😕

roughneck
    Free Member

So which is the best one then.

DeeJay
    Free Member

So which is the best one then

Both great, but different – whichever you choose will not disappoint

mickasaki
    Free Member

mines also 26.5lb with the short rockers, Thors etc, could go lighter but it would just get stupid money! Does me at the moment(ish)!

roughneck
    Free Member

more info DeeJay

ahwiles
    Free Member

having ridden both; the pace feels a bit more 'XC' – i think this is mostly down to the slightly steeper head angle.

it's very easy to make a hemlock feel a bit like a Dh bike* – i think this is mostly down to the slightly slacker head angle…

(*only one that climbs well too)

there's not much in it, but if i had to go looking for differences…

Pace: encourages climbing, descends well tho, didn't need much pro-pedal to control the bob.

Hemlock: encourages descending, climbs well tho, a bit more reliant on pro-pedal to control pedal bob, but the horst-link back end works nicely even when the brake is on.

i chose the Hemlock for the proper-4-bar-works-even-under-braking design, the slack head angle, and the choice of playing with different rockers/forks.

roughneck
    Free Member

which one will take the most stick? drops, fast rocky desents, like the peaks and the odd jump

ahwiles
    Free Member

they're both the same weight, so i doubt there's much in it.

the 2009 Hemlock chainstays have a question mark of reliability hanging over them, after a few broke. a missing washer was thought to be to blame, but mine broke even though the accused washer was installed.

it's left me a little shaken actually; i'm a skinny coward, i shouldn't be able to brake anything. i certainly don't do anything like what oxnop is showing us in that Pace piccy up there ^.

(i'd want a run-up, and Downhill bike, and a landing transition)

the 2008 chainstays are fine, the 2010 chainstays are even stronger, and stiffer too.

they're both light bikes, not really built for abuse, i doubt you'll break either one in the peaks. I do like my Hemlock, but wish there was a hefty BFE Grrr! version…

ahwiles
    Free Member

having said that, the Hemlock has passed the CEN test, which consists of holding the frame in a vice, and then driving a truck full of anvils into it at speed. and then nuking the site from orbit…

roughneck
    Free Member

The black looks good on the Hemlock but that orange pace is sweet, it just needs the back end orange as well.

DeeJay
    Free Member

more info DeeJay

Get yourself a demo – it really is the only way – you are not that far away from me – email in profile should you want to get in touch.

jfeb
    Free Member

which one will take the most stick? drops, fast rocky desents, like the peaks and the odd jump

Won't pretty much any bike take that kind of stick?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Hemlock or 405 / 506’ is closed to new replies.