Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Help – I think some bugs are having me for meal.
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

I have been getting insect bites for sometimes now but in the past it only happens, say, once in every two weeks or so with only one spot, but recently the frequency of bites increased. Average 5 to 10 bites. I have no pet and nor vermin in the flat.

I don’t think it’s bedbugs because they would have left trail of dry blood or I would have needed blood transfusion now with low blood count.

My guess is flea but how the hell do you catch them buggers? The bite spot can be described as a small very itchy swell with a bite mark in the middle.

So what remedies to get rid of them buggers?

😯

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Scabies?

chewkw
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

Scabies?

😯 … Nope.

Junkyard
    Free Member

flea spray might get rid of fleas

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

For years you’ve been urging everyone to ‘step on maggots’ chewy…….now it’s insect pay back time.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

For years you’ve been urging everyone to ‘step on maggots’ chewy…….now it’s insect pay back time.

Ya, but these are the greedy blood suckers … not maggots.

Also they should be grateful for eating from Dear Leader. 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They all started off as larvae/maggots once.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Do you live near a pond by any chance?

cinnamon_girl

Torm – what are you whittering on about?

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope, no pond. No pet either.

Not sure how they come about really …

Anyone? Way to solve the problem?

cinnamon_girl

Do you live near any woods?

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope, well kind of … there is a park nearby about 500 metre away from my flat and two big trees in front of the flat.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Well, I reckon by far the most prolific biting thing in the UK is the Mosquito, which I reckon are springing into life a because of all this lovely weather. There are loads of types that live here so chances are it was one of them.

Or it could be fleas, horseflies or some such but I doubt it.

Try citronella hair gel?

chewkw
    Free Member

I doubt it’s mosquito as I wear long shirt all the time.

hhhmmm … any idea if there is something similar to ant powder that I can use? But none toxic indoor?

rustler
    Free Member

Your local vets will have a big can of spray. Cant remember what it was called. Give each room a good spray then lock-up the house for a few hours. It kills everything. Not cheap, about £20 I think.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Ant powder for a flesh eating creature? Maybe some poisoned meat?

chewkw
    Free Member

hhmm … must find local vet first. £20 … not cheap at all.

How about pet shop? Do they sell anything that kill flea but harmless to human?

Slept with any slappers lately?

chewkw
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Slept with any slappers lately?

Never have that luck before … someone said it was the Clarks shoes. 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

I think I might try this Diatomaceous Earth … 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How about pet shop? Do they sell anything that kill flea but harmless to human?

Yes you can use this stuff – it’s quite harmless to humans

Don’t lick yourself until it’s had a chance to dry off though.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not cat flea spray … 🙄

The Diatomaceous Earth Food grade seems the best but where to get them here … damn.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not cat flea spray

Why not ? …….as far as I’m aware you can’t get ‘human flea spray’.

And wtf do you want ‘food grade’ cat litter ?

Eating the stuff ain’t going get rid of your flea bites.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Why not ? …….as far as I’m aware you can’t get ‘human flea spray’.

And wtf do you want ‘food grade’ cat litter ?

Eating the stuff ain’t going get rid of your flea bites.

The food grade is non-chemical so at least if I inhale them I would still be alive just on the safe side really. I don’t want to be dry up like the bugs.

I think I found a company that sell them 2KG for £26 including postage from London.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would try to get a proper diagnosis if I were you. You need to know what is biting you

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so at least if I inhale them I would still live just on the safe side really

I wouldn’t recommend inhaling diatomaceous earth, it’s nasty stuff that can do nasty stuff to your lungs :

“WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure”.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/d1288.htm

chewkw
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I would try to get a proper diagnosis if I were you. You need to know what is biting you

I will but not sure if I can find insect bite expert but will try.

Any ideas before I start ordering Diatomaceous Earth food grade? Not that I will eat them but just peace of mind. Otherwise, I will call in Pest terminator which they will spray the entire flat which is not cheap and highly toxic too.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

I wouldn’t recommend inhaling diatomaceous earth, it’s nasty stuff that can do nasty stuff to your lungs :

“WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure”.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/d1288.htm

D’oh! But there is one that is food grade apparently and people even take it as “supplement” …

This site

Damn … do you think he is dead by now? He is drinking them at a spoon full … 😯

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn6GSHNzBE[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Docs are generally decent at picking up which bug it is but you might be able to find them on google enough get a decent idea. is it very itchy? Scabies In your warm moist bits? Lice, etc etc ( from dodgy memory)

chewkw
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Docs are generally decent at picking up which bug it is but you might be able to find them on google enough get a decent idea. is it very itchy? Scabies In your warm moist bits? Lice, etc etc ( from dodgy memory)

Yes, managed to find them on google … yes, rather itchy like this with the middle having the bite mark.

or this

Beaten only on legs, forearms and thighs … doubt it is lice either but will double check later.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I doubt it’s mosquito as I wear long shirt all the time.

Beaten only on legs and thighs …

How long is your shirt ffs that you expect it to protect your legs and thighs ?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

How long is your shirt ffs that you expect it to protect your legs and thighs ?

Long sleeve during the day so everything is covered put it this way. 🙂

Not going to wear those long sleeve to bed I am afraid nor cover up totally … :mrgreen:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So bites in your legs but none on your arms which are uncovered at night. Sounds like bed bugs to me but I’ve got no experience with them. Have you stayed in any hotels/BBs recently which might have caused you to bring some home ?

bigG
    Free Member

Easy way to find out if you have fleas in the house. Get a tealight, put it in the middle of a white plate, put some water with a tiny bit of fairy liquid in it around the tealight, not enough so the tealight floats.

Light the tealight and leave overnight. In the morning if you have fleas in the house some of them will have jumped at the flickering light and drowned in the water. By the number of fleas you find you can work out how bad the infestation is.

G

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

So bites in your legs but none on your arms which are uncovered at night. Sounds like bed bugs to me but I’ve got no experience with them. Have you stayed in any hotels/BBs recently which might have caused you to bring some home ?

Yes, legs and arms (few spots so far) most of the time. Nope not stray away from flat for a very long time. The only thing I can think of is looking after pet dogs of my colleague 6 months ago. hmmmm …

chewkw
    Free Member

bigG – Member

Easy way to find out if you have fleas in the house. Get a tealight, put it in the middle of a white plate, put some water with a tiny bit of fairy liquid in it around the tealight, not enough so the tealight floats.

Light the tealight and leave overnight. In the morning if you have fleas in the house some of them will have jumped at the flickering light and drowned in the water. By the number of fleas you find you can work out how bad the infestation is.

Good idea. Will try that tonight. Damn … not sure where they come from but someone suggested it could be the open windows with many of the magpies/birds brining them in …

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

someone suggested it could be the open windows with many of the magpies/birds brining them in …

Zero chance of it being that.

Dog fleas from 6 months ago seems possible, if you flat has been kept cold enough for them to remain dormant until the milder weather warmed things up. Fleas normal bite quite low on the body. The good news is that dog fleas can’t live off humans even if they bite you, so eventually they will all die off – quicker if the weather is warmer.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Zero chance of it being that.

Dog fleas from 6 months ago seems possible, if you flat has been kept cold enough for them to remain dormant until the milder weather warmed things up. Fleas normal bite quite low on the body. The good news is that dog fleas can’t live off humans even if they bite you, so eventually they will all die off – quicker if the weather is warmer.

hhhmmm … definitely need to find out what sort of bugs that is.

Beg bugs … hhhmmm … hope not …

mrmo
    Free Member

don’t look like any flea bite i have ever recieved.

scaredypants

I’m intrigued – never thought chewy was a living thing 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Help – I think some bugs are having me for meal.’ is closed to new replies.